Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
Wed, 30 Mar 2016, 18:08 #180 Last Edit: Wed, 30 Mar 2016, 20:31 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 30 Mar  2016, 14:34More good news:
QuoteBatman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has taken the Tuesday record in March with $12.2M, beating The Hunger Games previous record of $10.3M. Total domestic cume now stands at $193.27M, and at this pace BvS will cross the two century mark today.
http://deadline.com/2016/03/batman-v-superman-tuesday-box-office-record-1201728459
It does make you wonder, doesn't it? Monday was a record breaker, Tuesday was awesome and so what does that suggest for the rest of the week? It could well be that the legs BvS has will include weekdays, which is pretty cool.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Wed, 30 Mar  2016, 14:45
Just came back from seeing the film. And I loved it.  :)

See? lol.

I like your review. We're in pretty close agreement tbh. Lex wasn't my ideal version but it was an interesting new version that he did a great job with. I still prefer the Clancy Brown STAS version but EisenLex won me over from being like totally skeptical.

Totally agree about the heroes too. They were so damn good. I can not wait to see them and the rest of the Justce League.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 30 Mar  2016, 15:25
Quote from: Edd Grayson on Wed, 30 Mar  2016, 15:08
Eisenberg didn't play Lex the way I would've liked the character to be, but I think he did well with what he had.

The best part for me was Affleck, who plays an awesome Batman, I loved every second of him onscreen, the fight one with Superman especially.  And Jeremy Irons is a very good Alfred. I definitely want a solo Batman movie.

Henry Cavill and Gal Gadot were also very good at portraying Superman and Wonder Woman. You could say that the heroes didn't interact as much as the title suggests, but the scenes that they did share were great. And the film was altogether beautifully shot and it really drew me in from the start. It was a very pleasing experience.

I didn't feel that the story was confusing or that it dragged on as the critics seemed to say, in fact I don't think BvS wastes any of its running time. So I think they're dead wrong on this film. Everyone should make up his/her own mind.
The problem is, Lex is such a massive sticking point for me, mostly because he has never been done right in live-action before.  Superman has had Reeve and Cavill (with MOS), Batman has had West, Keaton and Bale (and Kilmer if you like) and even Wonder Woman has Linda Carter, but the best Lex we've had in terms of live-action is John Shea in the otherwise average "The Adventures of Lois and Clark".

From what I've read, Eisenberg's Lex is the exact opposite of the Lex I could have wished for, almost as if Snyder read my thoughts and said "I'm going to make a Lex that 'Johnny Gobbs' will totally hate".  A weedy, whiny, effeminate spoiled rich kid who acts more like The Joker than a serious, cool, calm and ruthless businessman is as far from what I wanted for Lex as possible, and what's worse is that Zack Snyder originally told us that his Lex was going to be a 'cross between Richard Branson and Brad Pitt'.  What happened to that, or did he choose, as another poster has pointed out, to base his Lex on Max Landis as a means of petty point-scoring against the guy who trashed MOS?

I'm going to be constructive towards you for 2 minutes (do not get used to it). You need to go see this and make up your own mind. Find the cheapest local showing and just go and watch it for yourself (with an open mind) instead of letting paid critics with no emotional attachment to the characters think for you. You have nothing to lose but a few bucks and 2:40 of time. Not that big of a cost to find out something for yourself that relates to something you're interested in.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Wed, 30 Mar  2016, 15:08
Eisenberg didn't play Lex the way I would've liked the character to be, but I think he did well with what he had.
I think Eisenberg's Lex is similar to an internet troll, mixed in with the mad scientist aspects of the character. While I thought he was okay in BvS, I do think his character will change in later films.

Highlight below:

Just as Batman seems like he'll change. He refuses to brand Lex at the end, and the Batmobile guns are taken off in Suicide Squad. Superman seems to have had an impact on him.

Although I really enjoyed BvS, I really could do without Eisenberg's Luthor in future installments. There has been some discussions I've read on the net, and have discussed with friends who have seen the movie and share my sentiments on Eisenberg, of the scenario of Lex Luthor Sr. re-appearing in Metropolis, after supposedly being dead, and re-taking control of Lexcorp, along with cleaning up the company's image following the Luthor/Zod/Doomsday debacle, while of course, doing some shady things like all Luthor's tend to do.

In some ways, it would be kinda similar to how readers in the '80's, and early 90's, had Harry Osborn as their Green Goblin, only to have his father, Norman Osborn, make his return and proclaim the reports of his death was greatly exaggerated. Lex faked his death in the books before .. could be the case again ...

I know it's just me having idle daydreams, but oh well.  ;)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 31 Mar  2016, 01:20

Although I really enjoyed BvS, I really could do without Eisenberg's Luthor in future installments. There has been some discussions I've read on the net, and have discussed with friends who have seen the movie and share my sentiments on Eisenberg, of the scenario of Lex Luthor Sr. re-appearing in Metropolis, after supposedly being dead, and re-taking control of Lexcorp, along with cleaning up the company's image following the Luthor/Zod/Doomsday debacle, while of course, doing some shady things like all Luthor's tend to do.

In some ways, it would be kinda similar to how readers in the '80's, and early 90's, had Harry Osborn as their Green Goblin, only to have his father, Norman Osborn, make his return and proclaim the reports of his death was greatly exaggerated. Lex faked his death in the books before .. could be the case again ...

I know it's just me having idle daydreams, but oh well.  ;)

That actually would be badass. Question though. Red beard and mane or chrome dome? lol

Quote from: Catwoman on Thu, 31 Mar  2016, 01:26
That actually would be badass. Question though. Red beard and mane or chrome dome? lol

I would go with chrome dome, and if there was a scene where Lex Senior confronts his son in prison, in order to berate him and tell him what a disappointment he is, which would lead credence to Eisenberg's Lex Junior's apparenr dislike of his father, I would have something of a line where Junior tells his father that ever since he's been incarcerated, every time he looks in the mirror, he sees his father staring back at him.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

This would concern me as it would merely make Eisenberg's Lex come across as even more pathetic than he already is.

I said Eisenberg's Lex was a bad idea from the start, and it seems even the film's biggest fans agree with me.  :-\  I now don't see how justifications can be made for this interpretation.  It is what it is, as Snyder himself has said about the film.

If Snyder didn't want such a poor Lex he probably should have listened to people like me in the first place.  If he wants to finally listen to people like me, as he should have done in the first place, I'd advise him not to introduce Lex Sr. as Eisenberg's father as it would make Eisenberg look even sillier, weaker, more spoiled and pathetic than he already does.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

So, the film has officially crossed $500 million after five days.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/671615-batman-v-superman-worldwide-box-office-passes-500-million
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 31 Mar  2016, 08:33
So, the film has officially crossed $500 million after five days.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/671615-batman-v-superman-worldwide-box-office-passes-500-million
Henry Cavill puts it nicely here on his Facebook account. The fans are what matters, not the critics:

Thank you to you, the fans, for speaking so loudly. Hope lives on ‪#‎BatmanvSuperman‬

And Gal Gadot as well:

You are all that matters... Thank you for being so supportive of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Your love is not being taken for granted!🏻 and I'm already on my way to the Wonder Woman set 🙅🏻