Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 28 Mar  2016, 13:06Whatever success or failure BvS experiences from here on in, it owns it. There can't be any excuses. If BvS succeeds, it's because people love it. It will be undeniable. If it fails, it's basically unopposed so nobody can blame competition from other films. This will also be undeniable.
This is very true.

It will have a month or so to stretch its legs before Civil War is released.

The next few weeks, and whether audiences continue to flock to see it based on word-of-mouth or second/third viewings will say a lot about how well regarded this movie is.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

another thing this movie has going for it is its rather clever marketing plot with respect to the DVD/blu ray sales; statues of batman OR superman with each one so some people will buy both. I'd expect solid sales for that as it's already advertised as an expanded edition (something Nolan never did with his films)

I'm a big fan of Superman and love the mythos surrounding his world.

I can't wait to see these films to watch Clark working at The Daily Planet alongside his colleagues like Jimmy Olsen, Cat Grant, Steve Lombard and Ron Troupe!  I also can't wait to see the suave, charismatic Lex Luthor hoodwinking the public and vying for the presidency somewhere down the line!

Hopefully this franchise has a long way to go yet with Clark Kent as a character!  :)  Right?

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 28 Mar  2016, 18:46

I can't wait to see these films to watch Clark working at The Daily Planet alongside his colleagues like Jimmy Olsen, Cat Grant, Steve Lombard and Ron Troupe!  I also can't wait to see the suave, charismatic Lex Luthor hoodwinking the public and vying for the presidency somewhere down the line!

I've been wanting that for ages. I really hope Superman isn't turned into the "Hulk" of the DC Movieverse and actually gets a series of standalone films.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 28 Mar  2016, 18:46
Why have Jimmy, Cat, or Ron when you can have Jenny the intern and a nonathletic Steve Lombard (who hits on much younger interns) instead?!  ;D

Batman V Superman had a big opening this weekend, but there was also a steep drop from Friday to Sunday and the overall number was below what WB hoped:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/03/28/batman-v-superman-sets-record-with-worst-friday-sunday-drop-for-superhero-pics/#6f7d9ab66d72
http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/batman-v-superman-box-office-3-1201740145/

And before anyone says that these are some biased/paid off critics who are trying to skew data, Forbes and Variety were in the minority and published positive reviews on the film, with Variety writing a follow up article defending the film:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/03/22/review-batman-v-superman-triumphant/#4335bc983cbd
http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/batman-v-superman-review-dawn-of-justice-1201735801/
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/batman-v-superman-why-not-to-hate-1201738799/

It's obvious that BvS was going to make money. Opening weekend box office is just an indicator of everyone who was interested in seeing it. After that, it's a mix of people who didn't get to see it that weekend along with people who want to see it again.

The drop over the weekend doesn't surprise me and I wouldn't be surprise if it drops further next weekend, simply because this is a divisive movie.

I think the idea of it being critics vs. fans is too simplistic. I know fans who loved it. I know fans who hated it and even some people who lost interest in seeing it. The debates over the film are just as heated as, say, The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Mon, 28 Mar  2016, 19:46
Why have Jimmy, Cat, or Ron when you can have Jenny the intern and a nonathletic Steve Lombard (who hits on much younger interns) instead?!  ;D
;D  Is Steve in this one?  I know he featured in Man of Steel, but I didn't see Michael Kelly's name credited for BvS at the IMDb.

To be fair, Lombard in MOS was vaguely like the comic-book Lombard.  It was implied he was a bit of a jerk, albeit one who demonstrated a degree of courage during the Supes v Zod fight.  Still not very athletic though.

I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying Lombard's not.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Mon, 28 Mar  2016, 21:02
I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying Lombard's not.
No, and I guess the same applies to Jimmy*, Ron and Cat.

* Actually I understand that Jimmy does briefly appear in the film.  :(

I've still got to get out and see it. But the whole "critic's ratings" is intriguing. Now that it's widely known that there's a huge divide between the fans and critics, it seems that the tides have turned against those reviewers who gave it scathing reviews. The critics who judged it on account of "comic book fans" are now at odds with actual comic book fans.

I'm still trying to process how we even came to this train wreck. The Nolan films were pretty and well-made, and Oscar-baity enough to warrant positive critical reviews. No explanation needed there. Some critics tried to take down Burtons films (more so the original), but positive response from fans was too overwhelming (not to mention the incredible hype). This film almost had that, but not quite. The hype was still enough for it to make a killing at the box office.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Mon, 28 Mar  2016, 19:46It's obvious that BvS was going to make money. Opening weekend box office is just an indicator of everyone who was interested in seeing it. After that, it's a mix of people who didn't get to see it that weekend along with people who want to see it again.
What we're seeing is basically the movie fall $4 million short of the tracking. If you figure the average cost of a movie ticket is $9, roughly about 445,000 people were expected to see the movie on Sunday but didn't.

Gee, you'd almost think this past Sunday was a major religious holiday or something.