Joker: Folie à Deux (2024)

Started by The Joker, Thu, 4 Aug 2022, 23:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Officially announced for a 10.04.24 release date.

Definitely looking forward to this one.

After today's announcement, it was time for "Joker: Folie à Deux" to get what it ****ing deserves!

It's own thread.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Joker II and The Batman II are the only WB projects I'm passionately interested in, and this is where their mind should be at. I think the goal here should be not to mimic the first movie too much, but to provide a different type of experience. I've seen recent chatter that a lot of the movie does involve Arkham, and the musical component is present but perhaps not as dominant as first thought. A Clockwork Orange's 'Singing in the Rain' moment has been used as an example. If Joker 2's violence is as hard as the leaks suggest the movie will be a force of nature. And exactly what this particular universe should be capable of.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 21 Sep  2019, 06:35
As for the disturbing commentary, I don't see the problem because that excites me the most. I'm hoping for hyper realism to the point if feels like a documentary, shocking people to the core. It's time for F bombs and blood, showing the full potential of the cinematic character, well elevated above what Nicholson or Ledger presented. Instead of cutting away in a typical B89/TDK style blockbuster, show us the knife going in and the bullet nearly blowing the head off. I think that should be the whole point of the movie. This is the format for that experience, because we're not really going to see it anywhere else outside the comics. We laugh at chattering teeth and long barrelled guns, but gore and tragedy is the true soul of the character.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  5 Aug  2022, 03:03
Joker II and The Batman II are the only WB projects I'm passionately interested in, and this is where their mind should be at. I think the goal here should be not to mimic the first movie too much, but to provide a different type of experience. I've seen recent chatter that a lot of the movie does involve Arkham, and the musical component is present but perhaps not as dominant as first thought. A Clockwork Orange's 'Singing in the Rain' moment has been used as an example. If Joker 2's violence is as hard as the leaks suggest the movie will be a force of nature. And exactly what this particular universe should be capable of.
One interesting facet of JFAD is, as far as I can recall, this is the first time an actor has returned to the Joker in big screen cinema. Nicholson had one bite at the apple. Ledger also only did it once (whatever the plan might have originally been).

But Phoenix is in a unique position to take another swing at the character. There are a lot of possibilities with that kind of opportunity.

When all is said and done, this will be Phoenix's signature role. What I like about this is the fact he now gets to be the Joker full time, opposed to simply becoming him. If it's anything like his appearance on Murray's show, particularly his initial lighthearted entrance, it's something to look forward to.

A thought I had today is using Sinatra version of Fly Me To The Moon during the movie, probably for a sequence of delirious mania as Arthur and Gaga run riot. Obviously the main idea behind this is connective tissue to That's Life from the original. But the lyrics are perfect for a love story that can twist into darkness.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  5 Aug  2022, 03:57
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  5 Aug  2022, 03:03
One interesting facet of JFAD is, as far as I can recall, this is the first time an actor has returned to the Joker in big screen cinema. Nicholson had one bite at the apple. Ledger also only did it once (whatever the plan might have originally been).

But Phoenix is in a unique position to take another swing at the character. There are a lot of possibilities with that kind of opportunity.
Nope, Leto has been Joker in SS and JL.

Fri, 5 Aug 2022, 15:04 #5 Last Edit: Fri, 5 Aug 2022, 16:16 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: Travesty on Fri,  5 Aug  2022, 14:06Nope, Leto has been Joker in SS and JL.
Technically the truth. But Leto's ZSJL role was so small... eh. If you think it counts, fine. I'll accept it. But's so brief...

I actually think his role was even more brief in SS. lol

Leto is another DCEU actor that effectively joined Miller, Heard and Cavill in being hidden from view due to differing reasons. Imagine signing up to play such a prominent, iconic role and having only a handful of minutes of footage in total put on the big screen. If a reboot does happen down the line, that can't be allowed to happen again. It kills the momentum and integrity of a shared universe as gaping holes are created. And then along came Phoenix with a film and sequel all to himself, rivalling or in my opinion bettering Ledger.

First look at the musical sequel.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

In 2019, JOKER was the only comic book-related project in the pipeline for which I had any enthusiasm or excitement. Strange that I'm in pretty much the exact same situation with Folie à Deux.

But is it? TJ's first look looks like a logical visual continuation of the original. Certainly, Phoenix seems to be bodily back in character. It's very thrilling how this looks like it'll very much in the same vocabulary as the first one.

I still don't understand the 2024 release date. Makes me wonder that there's some boardroom shenanigans going on there. But whatever. Can't wait to see this movie.