Cape Glider

Started by BatmanFurst, Wed, 22 May 2019, 01:21

Previous topic - Next topic
When we watched it recently in the cinema, but son whispered to me "Ha, I can see the wire".
"You're supposed to!" I replied. "ohhhhhhhhh".

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Wed,  3 Jul  2019, 13:13
When we watched it recently in the cinema, but son whispered to me "Ha, I can see the wire".
"You're supposed to!" I replied. "ohhhhhhhhh".
Funny you should say that. Because I rewatched that Axis Chemical shootout scene last night and that was the first time I noticed the wire.

It's also the first time I noticed that wide shot of Batman swooping down seems to lack the spear gun even though it immediately cuts to a close-up of the spear gun.

Weird.

So... were we supposed to see the wire?

What about the scene where he drops through the museum skylight? I almost cited this as an example of Batman using his cape as a glider – or more accurately, as a parachute – but then I noticed the wire was clearly visible.

Yet when he drops into view, the device isn't fitted on his utility belt. So did he drop down on his grapple line or simply jump? I always assumed he jumped, using his cape to slow his rate of descent like he did at Nygma's party in Batman Forever.

As I mentioned in another topic, Bob Kane once claimed that Leonardo da Vinci's sketches of the primitive flying machine was one of many influences in creating Batman.

Quote from: Bob Kane
I remember when I was 12 or 13 I was an ardent reader of books on how things began . . . and I came across a book about Leonardo da Vinci. This had a picture of a flying machine with huge bat wings . . . . It looked like a bat man to me.

Source: https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/featured_articles/19981109monday.html

Say what you will about Bob Kane, but if he had never seen da Vinci's work, I believe we would never have seen the cape gliding effect in Batman comics. Let alone in BR and in subsequent media.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu,  4 Jul  2019, 23:10
What about the scene where he drops through the museum skylight? I almost cited this as an example of Batman using his cape as a glider – or more accurately, as a parachute – but then I noticed the wire was clearly visible.

Yet when he drops into view, the device isn't fitted on his utility belt. So did he drop down on his grapple line or simply jump? I always assumed he jumped, using his cape to slow his rate of descent like he did at Nygma's party in Batman Forever.
Tbh I'm not sure with this one. Personally, I always liked the idea of him jumping through the skylight and using his cape to glide down, rather than using the grapple gun. I think the line being visible is a bit of a blooper.

I do think having the insert of the grapple gun in the Axis Chemicals sequence was a clever way of them covering their ass. Basically saying if you ever see a line attached to Batman you can write it off as the grapple gun.