Joker references?

Started by riddler, Tue, 17 May 2016, 17:04

Previous topic - Next topic
I know Jack Napier/Joker are never directly referenced but does anyone believe or perceive any nods to the first foe in the second film? I always thought of the triangle gang as cheap Joker copycats; many wear masks and makeup, dress and clowns and do magic tricks and crimes in the vein of the joker (ie using fire and dynamite).

Even though the Red Triangle Gang goons have in common somewhat with the Joker, I never really got the impression that was what Tim Burton was going for. He's the kind of director who is naturally attracted to quirky, Gothic aesthetics.

But that gang would certainly not feel out of place if they were working for the Joker.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I've read some people suggest that the following Oswald line is a veiled reference to The Joker:  "I may have saved the mayor's baby, but I refuse to save a mayor who stood by helpless *as a baby*, while Gotham City was ravaged by a disease that turned eagle scouts into crazed clowns and happy homemakers into catwomen!"

I don't know why anyone would associate Jack Napier with an eagle scout though.  ;D
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I think the "crazed clowns" line was about the Red Triangle Gang because both them and Catwoman were current threats in Gotham, while Joker was off the radar.

Quote from: riddler on Tue, 17 May  2016, 17:04
I always thought of the triangle gang as cheap Joker copycats; many wear masks and makeup, dress and clowns and do magic tricks and crimes in the vein of the joker (ie using fire and dynamite).

The Red Triangle Circus Gang are genuine circus performers and carnival freaks.  IE:  Sword Swallowing, fire-breathing and other circus acts..

Joker is not even a clown, he is more like a gangster pretending to be a clown.

Quote from: OutRiddled on Mon, 30 May  2016, 11:14
Quote from: riddler on Tue, 17 May  2016, 17:04
I always thought of the triangle gang as cheap Joker copycats; many wear masks and makeup, dress and clowns and do magic tricks and crimes in the vein of the joker (ie using fire and dynamite).

The Red Triangle Circus Gang are genuine circus performers and carnival freaks.  IE:  Sword Swallowing, fire-breathing and other circus acts..

Joker is not even a clown, he is more like a gangster pretending to be a clown.
Yes, if anything The Joker is the 'cheap Red Triangle Circus Gang copycat' seeing as they predated his appearance in Gotham (it's implied that they've been about for years, sometime before Jack became The Joker).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.