Would Burton do Another? Is it time?

Started by eledoremassis02, Sun, 20 Mar 2016, 02:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Keaton has said he would be up for playing Batman is Burton was on board. With Beetlejuice 2 getting started do you thing there might be some talks (with Burton and Keaton) about ideas?

While I don't think it will ever happen (as the new DCCU is getting started) do you think Burton would do another now?

The ship has long sailed. It will never happen, especially with Affleck now on board for the long haul. The only hope of a Burtonverse continuation lies in an ongoing comic series.

What about a one-off The Dark Knight Returns type film with Batman coming out of some form of retirement in his old age?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

The ship has sailed. It would be far too confusing since we've had the Nolan series and now the likely Affleck series ongoing especially since Affleck is playing Batman late in his career. Yes mose of us would understand what is going on but the general movie goer would not.

What I would like to see wouldn't be the (unlikely) return of Burton/Keaton but the return of a Gothic Batman on screen; Burton isn't the only one capable of that. Batman by Guillermo Del Toro, that's more like it (sad that it will never happen).

Like I've said before, one word: animation.

If ever there was a movie where animation would be perfect it's this. Imagine the Burtonesque visuals of an animated Batfilm. And you can use Keats's voice to set it at any point you want or make it totally independent.

I'd love to see it, but I can't imagine that it'll happen.  Not in this lifetime.  Then again, they made Indiana Jones 4.  I guess this seems less likely to happen though.  But just imagine Keaton & Burton doing Dark Knight Returns, Frank Miller style!  Phew... it'd be an amazingly epic ending to the Burton saga.

I'd prefer a final Burton outing to be like Batman Beyond.

Keaton's Bruce as the old man staying at home. He always was a recluse, and this would show not much changed with the passing of time. It's just the fact he can no longer suit up and fight crime. Just imagine it. A scene similar to Batman Returns. Bruce is sitting in a pitch black room, alone in silence. Alfred is dead. And the bat signal lights up, but he doesn't move. He puts his head down and looks sad. Someone else is doing his job, but he slowly makes his way to the batcave to assist his replacement via a headset.

And even though I like it, TDK Returns has been overdone to be honest.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 26 Apr  2016, 11:45

Interesting thoughts.  I like the Batman Beyond take.  I mean, we haven't seen Batman Beyond on the big screen though, whereas they bastardized bits of DK in the new Batman vs. Superman.  And I think they did an animated flick of DK Returns as well.  I'd still like to see a purer Dark Knight Returns.  But as far as Burton & Keaton returning... I wouldn't mind them coming up with a brand new story for their 3rd outing.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 26 Apr  2016, 11:45
I'd prefer a final Burton outing to be like Batman Beyond.

Keaton's Bruce as the old man staying at home. He always was a recluse, and this would show not much changed with the passing of time. It's just the fact he can no longer suit up and fight crime. Just imagine it. A scene similar to Batman Returns. Bruce is sitting in a pitch black room, alone in silence. Alfred is dead. And the bat signal lights up, but he doesn't move. He puts his head down and looks sad. Someone else is doing his job, but he slowly makes his way to the batcave to assist his replacement via a headset.

Agreed. I think a Batman Beyond type take would be more fitting for Keaton's Batman anyway, but we've had The Dark Knight Returns animated in two movies (not to mention the Legends of the Dark Knight episode of BTAS) and elements of it were already in The Dark Knight Rises and Batman v Superman.

I feel like you could only maybe adapt the first half of the story with Keaton, along with maybe the Gotham under fire sequence in the final book. His Batman never encountered Two-Face but mayybe you could stretch it and have Billy Dee Williams as Harvey. You could maybe see Keaton take on The Mutants, but after that, his Batman already killed Joker and he never met Superman (and we JUST had a TDKR-inspired Batman vs. Superman fight). I think if Burton came back again, it'd be another story entirely.

That said, if Superman Lives went through and Keaton cameo'd in it, maybe we'd all be speculating on a Keaton vs. Nicolas Cage fight...

Still, I don't think we'll ever see a live action faithful Dark Knight Returns film. An ideal one would've been if they had done a Batman movie series that featured him adopting both Dick Grayson and Jason Todd Robins, encountering Joker, Catwoman, and Two-Face (without any of them dying), teamed up with the Justice League and becoming friends with Superman. Then let the actor age to 55 and do Dark Knight Returns as the comeback movie (ala Stallone in Rocky Balboa).
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...