References to the films in the comics

Started by Azrael, Sat, 4 Apr 2009, 07:49

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: batass4880 on Sat,  4 Apr  2009, 21:08They also gave him a grapple gun, though it didn't look like the one used in the movies.
It did at least once, in Batman: Tenses.

Apparently he also shot it through a thug's shoulder, the way some people think Keaton did at Axis chemical.

What's funny is I don't think I have a single comic in my collection where he actually uses a grapple pistol. Every time I've seen him use a grappling hook it's just a rope with a batarang on it.

Also as some of you already know, I recently discovered the cover art to Batman: Gotham City Secret Files and Origins, which appears to be very much a homage to the Gotham of Batman Returns, it even has the Shreck building in the corner.

Anyone know of more influences/references to the films? This would make a nice feature on the site if we could pull together some more stuff.

Well the comics gave Joker Jack Napier name. The earliest instance when it appeared that I know is Legends of the Dark Knight #50 by O'neil and Blevins

Quote from: GothamAlleys on Sat, 27 Nov  2010, 19:07
Well the comics gave Joker Jack Napier name. The earliest instance when it appeared that I know is Legends of the Dark Knight #50 by O'neil and Blevins

Are you sure about that, GothamAlleys?

I've read that issue, and remember his cousin in the story referring to him as 'Cousin Jack', but not specifically 'Jack Napier'.

Outside of the 1989 film, the other times that the 'Jack Napier' name has been used (that I am aware of), was of course in the Batman Animated Series where he's clearly identified as 'Jack Napier', and in the anthology book, "The Further Adventures of the Joker". Which features a short story that specifically identifies his last name as, 'Napier'. But that story is considered anything but cannon.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Sun, 28 Nov 2010, 18:04 #13 Last Edit: Sun, 28 Nov 2010, 18:06 by BatmAngelus
Looking through my issue, he's only called "Cousin Ja-" by his cousin Melvin, whose last name is Reipan.  Reipan, of course, is Napier spelled backwards.  But there's no definite name given.
Hell, it's possible Joker even pretended to be Melvin's cousin, but there's no evidence of that in the comic.

On the other hand, I've read that he's dubbed "Jack" by his wife in flashbacks in the storyline "Pushback" (which basically tried to bring the failed comedian origin from The Killing Joke into canon by having Riddler corroborate that origin story).

He's definitely called "Jack" in the "Lovers and Madmen" storyline in Batman Confidential, which, like the Burton movie, took on the idea that the Joker was always a homicidal maniac and the chemical bath only pushed what was already there.

As for my contribution to the thread, here's a scene from The Dark Knight reinterpreted in The Brave and the Bold #31:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/File:Joker%27s_Impression_of_Himself.jpg

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

It's been evident for awhile now that there's an affinity for the name "Jack" as far as as a possible name for the Joker is concerned by DC writers, considering it's appeared, and re-appeared in completely unrelated stories pertaining to the Joker's mysterious past over the years. A name which I've never read much rejection towards. But the idea of "Napier" being his last name seems to be downplayed in comparison, though the name did appear in COUNTDOWN #31 in the "The Origin of the Joker", as one of the Joker's perceived possible origins is that of a mob killer named Napier. Which was of course a nice nod to the characterization of the Joker in Batman 1989.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

^Yep.  Even has a picture of "Napier" in Nicholson's fedora and coat from the Axis Chemicals sequence:
http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/joker&p=1
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

The best part is the Joker saying "You're too young for that one..." So, unfortunately, true.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Well, you guys pretty much covered it when it comes to the name Jack in the comics

Now, this CAN'T classify as a reference of course, but it's still a bit funny.

In Punisher: Barracuda (a MAX miniseries by Garth Ennis - http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/11715777001609.htm ) there's a character named "Big Chris Angelone" who is drawn to look like Christopher Walken. He is drawn with a longish haircut similar to A View to a Kill and Batman Returns. The punchline? Chris Angelone has a son named Oswald.

^That's definitely one of the most random and bizarre references ever. WTF.