DC universe to be rebooted

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 31 May 2011, 22:53

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 31 May 2011, 22:53 Last Edit: Wed, 1 Jun 2011, 00:49 by Silver Nemesis
There's been a lot of speculation in recent weeks regarding a rumoured reboot of the DC universe in September following the final issue of Flashpoint. DC has now confirmed these rumours. They're planning to publish 52 issue 1s in September, with all the heroes made younger and updated for modern readers.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=136835312

This means we'll be seeing updated versions of all the familiar Batman characters and their origin stories. It'll be interesting to see if these comics incorporate any elements from the movies into the new canon.

Tue, 31 May 2011, 23:00 #1 Last Edit: Tue, 31 May 2011, 23:15 by Paul (ral)
I'm really conflicted on this one.

Part if me is eager for it. I have always had issues with how DC presents Batman...more realistic, more fantastical, futuristic then gritty. A more consistent approach would be great.

Then again, exploring the characters in different settings is what is great about Batman inparticular.

It seems that WB/DC really wants a slice of Marvels crossover pie...and this unifying approach will give them that.

I think we now know what all the recent reboot talk about Batman on the big screen after TDKR was all about.

JLA movie coming soon?

I may be talking bollocks here though...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2011-05-31-dc-comics-reinvents_n.htm

What have they done to Superman's costume?! :(

I wonder if the recent legal dispute between Jerry Siegel's estate and DC has precipitated this. Several sources have reported the possibility of Superman splitting in two, with the rights to certain elements reverting to Jerry Siegel's heirs while everything else is retained by DC. If that happens we could see two simultaneous Superman comic/movie franchises: one produced by the estates of Siegel and Shuster, featuring the original flightless version of Superman, his origin story and costume (minus the 'S' logo), Lois Lane and both Superman's Kryptonian and Earth parents; and another produced by DC, featuring most of Superman's other powers (flight, heat vision, etc), plus most of his supporting cast (Jimmy Olsen, Cat Grant, etc) and his entire gallery of rogues. If this is the case then it would explain why they've changed Superman's costume after 73 years.

Hopefully they're just playing it safe with the new costume until the legal dispute is resolved (which one way or another will happen by 2013). Then once everything is straightened out he'll ditch this 'prototype' for the real costume. At least I hope so...

Jim Lee hasn't had much luck with costume designs lately...
...Wonder Woman anyone? ;-)

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Tue, 31 May  2011, 23:00
I'm really conflicted on this one.

Part if me is eager for it. I have always had issues with how DC presents Batman...more realistic, more fantastical, futuristic then gritty. A more consistent approach would be great.

Then again, exploring the characters in different settings is what is great about Batman inparticular.

It seems that WB/DC really wants a slice of Marvels crossover pie...and this unifying approach will give them that.

I think we now know what all the recent reboot talk about Batman on the big screen after TDKR was all about.

JLA movie coming soon?

I may be talking bollocks here though...
You are not. This is a very good post that captures all of the angles. I for one am uncertain about this. Like it or not, I agree that the charm of Batman is the variety. Doing lots of different things with him. Going in one consistent direction could easily become one note. And if that becomes so, you are stuck on that track because that's how that universe rolls. I think this is a company direction, and not just a comic direction. I like fantastical Batman (see B89 and BR for that definition), but super hero team ups I am not keen on.

ComicsAlliance and other sites have the full pic, with Batman, Flash, and Cyborg (wait a second.  Cyborg's on the JLA now and Martian Manhunter's not?  What gives?)
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/05/31/dc-comics-comics-relaunch-digital/

I'm glad Batman doesn't look much different, in comparison to Superman, whose redesign I find to be ugly. 
Is DC on a vendetta against "the trunks" now?  First Batman loses them for Batman, Inc. and now Superman doesn't have them. 
And what's with the V-shaped collars on Superman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman (if you count that necklace thing as a collar)?

I think Silver Nemesis does raise an interesting point about the legal dispute being the cause.  I hope, as we all do, that the Siegel vs. DC dispute doesn't get to the point that we end up with two Supermen, with neither version having the complete iconic traits that we've had for years.  Still, there's been some pretty bad blood between the two parties, so, as much as I'd hate for it to happen, I understand the speculation.  We'll see what happens.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

As a Superman fan, this whole legal dispute sickens me to the core.

If the rights are split it could be a generation before they come back together, if ever!

Do they even love the character or is he just a fat cash cow ready for the slaughter?

^ I know. I can't see either side backing down, either.

It is seriously disturbing, and potentially worse than the 60s Batman mess.

Cavill could very easily turn into another Routh.

And we still wouldn't have had the Brainiac type villains explored on screen.

This Judgement of Solomon resolution is a worst-case scenario. Hopefully it won't come to that. If it does though, I think the title 'Superman' goes to Siegel's side. Which would explain why the new movie is called Man of Steel, as opposed to the more logical Superman: The Man of Steel. This, along with the new costume design in the comics, could be DC's way of covering its bases in case things turn sour in court.

The outcome of the trial could also set a worrying precedent that might affect other comics. People are already drawing parallels between this case and McFarlane vs. Gaiman a few years back, where Gaiman was granted co-ownership of certain Spawn characters, even though he'd written them under a work-for-hire agreement. Imagine if the heirs of other comic creators started coming out of the woodwork and demanding royalties for characters their relatives created. Bill Finger's estate would have a field day with the Batman franchise (though there'd be some justice in that particular example).

As far as the reboot in the comics goes, I'll reserve judgement for the time being. Though I agree with BatmAngelus about the redesigned costumes looking poor.

QuoteCavill could very easily turn into another Routh.

Some people are now predicting that Warner Bros will pull the plug on Man of Steel before shooting even commences. I doubt this will happen though. They have to get the movie underway by the end of the year or else start paying damages to Siegel and Shuster's estates. But they might possibly delay its release to sometime in 2013; partly to avoid competing with The Hobbit at the Christmas box office, but also to take into account the outcome of the court case. If everything is neatly resolved then they could change the title to Superman: The Man of Steel at the last minute. But they won't want to do that if there's any risk of them losing the rights to the title 'Superman' a few months later. If that happens, they'd be in the same situation over Man of Steel DVD rights as they currently are with the Batman TV show.

Wed, 1 Jun 2011, 20:20 #9 Last Edit: Wed, 1 Jun 2011, 20:22 by Paul (ral)
As far as I know Man of Steel is exempt from the court case. Man of Steel has been the title since Singer was involved and is probably more to do with mirroring The Dark Knight.

Regardless, starting a new franchise on compromise is a road to ruin.