Why did Robin The Boy Wonder make his debut in DC #38 April, 1940?

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Sat, 19 Dec 2009, 01:42

Previous topic - Next topic
I've recently been going over my Batman archives and I came across something interesting.  Apparently, Robin was not suppose to appear in DC #38.  According to the last panel of DC #37 (March,1940) it states that the Next Month's issue (April,1940) was suppose to feature the Huge Terrifying Man-Monsters.  For whatever reason we ended up with Robin (April,1940) in DC #38 and as for the issue featuring the Huge Terrifying Man- Monsters that story was postponed until Batman #1 (Spring, 1940) after the Joker story.  However,  despite the new inclusion of Robin, Batman still appears solo in Batman #1 (Spring 1940) in "Professor Hugo Strange And The Monsters" but after this story we do not see him fight solo again.  This new evidence suggest that Batman was to remain solo for twelve issues not eleven.  Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter. 

I'm not a comic expert by any means but what was the sales of DC like at that time?

Was Robin introduced to increase sales?

Sorry to answer a question with 2 questions!

If I had to guess, I'd wager that the Monster Men storyline was shifted around because it might've still needed work.  However, the Robin intro story might've been ready to go (or close enough to it) so that DC/National could just run that.

As for why Robin ever existed in the first place, it seemed part of a concerted effort to lighten the character a bit while also giving the young kids a crumb.  Maybe they couldn't entirely identify with Batman but they could identify more readily with Robin, and would probably dig the idea of picturing themselves in Robin's shoes, going on adventures with Batman and so forth.  It was around this same time that Batman started going a bit easier on his adversaries.  One wonders if National got letters from angry parents about the violence in some issues.  I can't remember things getting too violent after Batman #1.  By the late 40's and onward, I don't know how accurate it would've been to even call the character "dark" anymore.