Tim Drake was never Robin?

Started by Paul (ral), Mon, 16 Jul 2012, 11:16

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39835

QuoteTeen Titans writer Scott Lobdell talked about September's "Teen Titans" #0, saying the issue was "Almost exclusively about Tim Drake, but we get some secret info about Skitter and Bunker...as near as I recall, as it is now Tim goes straight from being Tim Drake to being Red Robin in that there was no official period of time where he was Robin. We keep most of the origin in tact in that he was one of the few people who could get very close to learning who Bruce is...but it will be a much updated version of his origin."

I'm not sure Tim has much of a future in the post-Flashpoint universe. Rumour has it we might be in for another Death in the Family type story. I hope that's not the case.

I tuned out of The New 52 a few months ago. Why waste money on comics that just piss me off, right? Things like this show me I made the right move. We're losing Tim Drake as Robin... presumably so Damien doesn't have to give it up.

Y'know, Damien. The last time a Robin was that bratty and annoying, readers voted to kill him.

DC.. "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" should be their official motto.

If you tuned out then you're missing out on a couple excellent stories.  True there's some garbage but Snyder's Batman and Tomasi's Batman and Robin have been great.  Tomasi has written a Damian that I've enjoyed and that was a tough task.

As far as Tim never being Robin ... I can't see how that would work? That would involved completely rewriting his origin which to me means he's a completely different person.

It also means Knightfall didn't happen?

Quote from: M_deVries on Sun,  9 Sep  2012, 23:28If you tuned out then you're missing out on a couple excellent stories.  True there's some garbage but Snyder's Batman and Tomasi's Batman and Robin have been great.  Tomasi has written a Damian that I've enjoyed and that was a tough task.

As far as Tim never being Robin ... I can't see how that would work? That would involved completely rewriting his origin which to me means he's a completely different person.
It's like anything. Comes down to priorities. I can read something and get progressively more and more pissed off (the Tim thing is a good example, in fact) or I can call it a day and stick to Batman comics and media more in line with my sensibilities.

Quote from: M_deVries on Sun,  9 Sep  2012, 23:28
I basically interpret this to mean that all of Tim's time is Robin is still canon, but he's had the Red Robin identity, instead of the Robin identity, since A Lonely Place of Dying.

Now, originally, Post-Final Crisis, Tim took on the Red Robin mantle after Bruce's "death," believing he could find proof that his mentor was still alive, but not wanting to bend the rules under his Robin identity or any identity that'd be associated with Batman and his allies.

So why, in the New 52, did Tim take on the Red Robin name when he joined Batman?  No idea.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Mon, 10 Sep  2012, 00:24
It also means Knightfall didn't happen?

Hmm...

I think the  New 52 has been a huge success but as they move along and the different writers start to explore deeper into the respective back stories things are starting to unravel.

The Robin paradox is the best example but there are other, non Batman related examples too.  It just seems like the New 52 was a great idea that was half baked.

Quote from: M_deVries on Mon, 10 Sep  2012, 23:21
It just seems like the New 52 was a great idea that was half baked.

Some would say the same thing about Crisis on Infinite Earths, and the intended scenario that was supposed to transpire thereafter. Which, from what I've read, was originally intended at the very END of the DCU multiverse, and a fresh start for each character. Like the New 52, essentially a jumping on point for potential new readers who wouldn't be bogged down with years of continuity. With each title reverting back to #1.

Of course it didn't happen. Some creators didn't want to go along with the program, and sure enough, continuity problems arose. Sorry Hawkman.

Eventually, by the mid 1990's, Zero Hour was brought forth.

DC's answer to fixing confusing continuity issues following Post-Crisis continuity issues!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 17 Oct  2012, 01:01Some would say the same thing about Crisis on Infinite Earths, and the intended scenario that was supposed to transpire thereafter. Which, from what I've read, was originally intended at the very END of the DCU multiverse, and a fresh start for each character. Like the New 52, essentially a jumping on point for potential new readers who wouldn't be bogged down with years of continuity. With each title reverting back to #1.

Of course it didn't happen. Some creators didn't want to go along with the program, and sure enough, continuity problems arose. Sorry Hawkman.

Eventually, by the mid 1990's, Zero Hour was brought forth.

DC's answer to fixing confusing continuity issues following Post-Crisis continuity issues!
Basically, yeah. That's my reading of it too. I get that DC wants to protect the success they've had in recent years with GL and Batman while fixing the characters that are having problems but either you reboot or you don't. These massive storylines aren't reboots at all. They're retcons. Retcons invariably fail because it's always up for grabs what is in continuity and what isn't. These problems are going to continue until someone grows a pair of balls and truly reboots this mess.