Ghostbusters trailer *Brand New* (2016)

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Mar 2016, 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic
I saw the trailer for this movie and I didn't laugh once. And on top of that I thought it looked and sounded stupid.

This is a shame too because I like Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Cecily Strong. I hope their careers are able to recover if the movie fails.

But I don't think I can watch a movie that has both Melissa McCarthy and Leslie Jones in it. One would be bad enough. But both?

Something occurred to me tonight while I was in the store looking at the toy section. There were quite a few toys for the new movie and I kind of hissed at them, but then I looked beside them and there were action figures of the four original Ghotsbusters. So it got me thinking that in a way, it's good that this movie is coming out because it will turn people back towards the original and reawaken the love for it and maybe remind people who haven't thought of it in a while what geniuses Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd were. It's such a classic from top to bottom with the story and the effects and the sight gags and everything else. And hopefully if people come along thinking that it is somehow tied to this steaming pile of who knows what, we can all set them straight.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun,  5 Jun  2016, 13:13
Judd Apatow is a moron who hasn't made a good film in a decade.

As much as I personally dislike Trump's politics, this smug, neoliberal, 'we're all part of the same club and know better than you' elitism really bugs me, and partly explains why many regular people are put off by mainstream politics and mainstream media.

Apatow is no doubt good mates with Paul Feig and his Ghostbusters cast, and thus he is using the whole 'if you don't like this film you're a sexist/homophobic/racist reactionary pig' card to bully people into saying nice things about the new movie.

It's a form of entitlement.  They seem to be saying 'you're now obligated to see this film and anyone who doesn't is a bigot'.

Now, I do think some of the people attacking the Ghostbusters reboot, especially ones who were doing it from the start, may be sexist, and unwilling to give the film a chance because of the female line-up.  But having seen the mirth-free trailer, and the utter lack of originality or wit on display as far as the film's synopsis and marketing goes, there are clearly many valid reasons for choosing to give this film a wide berth.

That said, it will be fascinating to see what type of reviews the critics give this film.  Many critics are liberals, but I hope, like me, that they are objective liberals and won't let their politics dictate their honest assessment of the film.

Trump is mostly perceived as a modern day Hitler wannabe but without the brains. From the same political party that brought the world George Bush, Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin, and still maintains Barack Obama is an inside terrorist. I think what they are getting at with that comment is Trump is visibly sexist and racist so they're attempting to say "If you don't like this movie you must be sexist or racist like Trump"

I respect Akroyd's stance. He's a very classy guy. Maybe he's pushing to bring Ghostbusters back for financial gain but I perceive it as him looking at GB like his baby and wanting his baby to grow. He was very tight with Harold Ramis and likely wants to do it for Harold's memory. I don't think he's as juveneille as others to criticize those who don't like his project. He actually defended Bill Murray for many years when people blamed Murray for the lack of a third film.

Filmmaker Michael Moore had the audacity to laugh at Britain's consideration at wanting to leave the EU recently. Even going so far as describing us as "nuts" I think....well, I suppose the man perhaps "cares" about our stance to be that passionate. But on the subject of Trump I think it's much more than horrendously nuts that some Americans want a lying twat of a business man potentially running and keeping safe their country. It's....not too smart a move, know what I'm sayin? lol

Maybe this will cheer us all up instead getting back onto the subject of Ghostbusters....? Yes, this really IS happening!:

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Sat, 18 Jun  2016, 16:39
Filmmaker Michael Moore had the audacity to laugh at Britain's consideration at wanting to leave the EU recently. Even going so far as describing us as "nuts" I think....well, I suppose the man perhaps "cares" about our stance to be that passionate. But on the subject of Trump I think it's much more than horrendously nuts that some Americans want a lying twat of a business man potentially running and keeping safe their country. It's....not too smart a move, know what I'm sayin? lol

Maybe this will cheer us all up instead getting back onto the subject of Ghostbusters....? Yes, this really IS happening!:

Better than a lying twat with no leadership qualities whatsoever. They both suck ass though.

By now I've lost track of the number of insults the cast and crew have hurled at diehard Ghostbuster fans. According to Feig and McCarthy, anyone who doesn't like the trailers is a whiny friendless Trump-supporter living in their mother's basement, etc and so forth. I honestly can't recall another film with a promotional campaign that hinged so heavily on insulting the audience. All they've incurred by doing this is a widespread desire to see Paul Feig humiliated when the movie flops.

But Sony continues to battle on. They're still deleting negative comments on YouTube and allowing only the sexist comments to remain. Meanwhile the cast has done a sterling job responding to all of those misogynistic complaints. I'm just wondering when they'll start addressing the numerous other criticisms, such as the poor quality CG effects, racial stereotyping, unfunny jokes, disrespect for the mythology, and the fundamental obsolescence behind the entire project.

The latest trailers – showcasing fart jokes and McCarthy's character hip-thrusting after shooting the Marshmallow Man in the groin – are making it look more and more like one of those Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer flicks. Yet Billy Murray and Dan Aykroyd have repeatedly assured us "these girls are funny." Word to the wise: truly great comedians don't need other comedians to inform their audience that they're funny; it should be evident in their material. Or in this case, in the copious amounts of footage they've already released.

It's also interesting to note how social media reactions are tracking. I think I mentioned this in one of the Batman v Superman threads, but pro.boxoffice.com monitors daily Twitter activity to constantly update a positive/negative post ratio. An index of 9:1 or better is considered good. Anything less than that is considered worrying. An example of an upcoming film that's getting positive pre-release Twitter activity is Steven Spielberg's The BFG.

And here's the current Twitter index for Ghostbusters.

Sony should be afraid. Very afraid. Particularly since there seems to be some doubt over whether this will even get released in China, which is the largest overseas market for big budget Hollywood films.

I respect our US cousins, and many of them, including their own leader, want us to stay in the EU.

Not that any country's decisions should be dictated by another's opinions.  But in this instance, I believe the US has the UK's best interests at heart, and we'd be fools to ignore their advice, and the vast majority of the world's business and political leaders, as well as the IMF and 9 out of 10 economists.  That's one of the many reasons why I urge every Brit to vote 'Remain'! :)  We're better together than apart.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I think we should all keep schtum until the film is released.  If it's as bad as we all suspect it might be, the reviews and word-of-mouth should settle it.  Until then, the film's defenders will use every trick in the book to paint the detractors as being unfair/possessing an agenda.

For what it's worth, I'm a neutral.  The film looks bad from everything I've so far seen, but I don't object, on principle, to an all-female reboot, and I think it's only fair to withhold final judgement until its release.

Britain should leave for many good reasons. Hopefully it happens. I won't say any more, but given others had their say, I've added my two cents in as well.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 19 Jun  2016, 09:11Britain should leave for many good reasons. Hopefully it happens. I won't say any more, but given others had their say, I've added my two cents in as well.
What reasons?

Since you're American and won't be affected if Britain leaves the EU, I'm curious to know why we should take your advice.  Explain yourself. >:(

And where are you getting your 'knowledge' and 'facts' from on this topic from?