Ghostbusters trailer *Brand New* (2016)

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Mar 2016, 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Judd Apatow has declared people who aren't looking forward to the new Ghostbusters as Donald Trump supporters.

"I would assume there's a very large crossover of people who are doubtful Ghostbusters will be great and people excited about the Donald Trump candidacy. I would assume they are the exact same people. That movie is made by the great Paul Feig and stars the funniest people on Earth, so I couldn't be more excited. I think people have paid too much attention to just some angry trolls. And it will be judged on its own greatness. I don't think anything really matters the way you think it does. The movie comes out, and it will be great, and people will just be happy to have it. It's not like anybody really cares about a couple of idiots who hold onto the idea that things never evolve. I always think, you know, we have our past and if you can come up with a new, cool way to do something, then that's exciting and hopefully, it will make a lot of people happy."

Source: http://sciencefiction.com/2016/06/03/according-judd-apatow-ghostbusters-haters-trump-supporters/

I don't follow politics, but I assume any comparisons to approving Donald Trump is supposed to carry negative connotations?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Now more than ever I hope this movie bombs hard.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  5 Jun  2016, 07:39
Now more than ever I hope this movie bombs hard.

What are the odds that gender politics will persuade the majority of critics to give the film good reviews?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  5 Jun  2016, 07:23
Judd Apatow has declared people who aren't looking forward to the new Ghostbusters as Donald Trump supporters.

That's one of the most idiotic statements I've ever read in my life, but thanks for the chuckle, Judd.

QuoteI don't follow politics, but I assume any comparisons to approving Donald Trump is supposed to carry negative connotations?

Pretty much. It's nothing new. Just childish BS.

Back in the 50's, these simple minded plebians would be calling people who didn't agree with them Communists/Soviet spies/sympathizers, ect. These days, in our current political climate, it's now you're a Trump supporter. Either way, it's the same demagogic nonsense. Primarily used to rile up an emotional reaction, rather than actually using the 'ol noggin and thinking for one second by considering, "Well, hey. Maybe some people don't want to see this cause it looks like it actually blows!?!"

Before you know it, they'll be adding; biting fingernails, eating meat, cracking your knuckles, nibbling while cooking, not moisturizing, fiddling with keys, excessive throat clearing, and gambling to the list of people who support Trump.

Cause really, that's logical right?

::)  ;)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Bravo, Joker. Perfect post.

All the people that aren't on board this movie's concept are just sexist, racist and homophobic pigs. Label 'em and start chanting equality slogans to drown everything out. That'll work. That'll make the world a better place.

Let's see, they can't use the sexism card on me and I think Donald Trump is an idiot (still infinitely better than the alternative. Third party vote FTW) so that don't work either. What's their next excuse for why people hate this sh*t?

Judd Apatow is a moron who hasn't made a good film in a decade.

As much as I personally dislike Trump's politics, this smug, neoliberal, 'we're all part of the same club and know better than you' elitism really bugs me, and partly explains why many regular people are put off by mainstream politics and mainstream media.

Apatow is no doubt good mates with Paul Feig and his Ghostbusters cast, and thus he is using the whole 'if you don't like this film you're a sexist/homophobic/racist reactionary pig' card to bully people into saying nice things about the new movie.

It's a form of entitlement.  They seem to be saying 'you're now obligated to see this film and anyone who doesn't is a bigot'.

Now, I do think some of the people attacking the Ghostbusters reboot, especially ones who were doing it from the start, may be sexist, and unwilling to give the film a chance because of the female line-up.  But having seen the mirth-free trailer, and the utter lack of originality or wit on display as far as the film's synopsis and marketing goes, there are clearly many valid reasons for choosing to give this film a wide berth.

That said, it will be fascinating to see what type of reviews the critics give this film.  Many critics are liberals, but I hope, like me, that they are objective liberals and won't let their politics dictate their honest assessment of the film.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: Catwoman on Sun,  5 Jun  2016, 11:12
Let's see, they can't use the sexism card on me and I think Donald Trump is an idiot (still infinitely better than the alternative. Third party vote FTW) so that don't work either. What's their next excuse for why people hate this sh*t?
I see Dan Akroyd came out and said the new movie is funnier than the originals. Not that he is going to bad mouth the product. But his comments are predictable. The studio will need more than a previous cast member publically supporting the new film to run a profit at the box office. People are already offside.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  5 Jun  2016, 15:15
I see Dan Akroyd came out and said the new movie is funnier than the originals. Not that he is going to bad mouth the product. But his comments are predictable. The studio will need more than a previous cast member publically supporting the new film to run a profit at the box office. People are already offside.

Exactly. I like Dan Akroyd, and I think he really did put in a honest effort in trying to get GB3 up and running, but these days I think Dan, after it became clear GB3 just wasn't going to happen, is much more concentrated on the prospects of multiple films in a GB franchise, and all the merch/revenue that will come with that (whichj Dan is assuredly going to get a piece of), than he is being the least bit critical of what Sony's putting out there. He's not going to damper the product in any way. Never has, never will.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."