Ghostbusters trailer *Brand New* (2016)

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Mar 2016, 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Brad 'Cinema Snob' Jones is also refusing to watch/review it.

The latest insider reports state Sony is panicking to re-edit the film in a desperate bid to salvage it:

Quote"There's been a lot of recuts and editing in recent weeks as concerns are growing over the movie," we're told. Even Bill Murray, who had top billing in the Ivan Reitman version of the poltergeist-pursuing classic — and supposedly a small part in the new one — has insiders wondering how "Ghostbusters" will play with audiences when it opens on July 15. The 65-year-old living legend doesn't appear in the film's official trailer.

"Bill's scenes have raised some eyebrows and many in the project are worried that the fans may turn against it before giving it a fair crack," says our insider. "I've never been involved in a project with so many different edits, re-edits and story alterations."

According to our spy, one scene unlikely to appear in the final cut is a musical number that wasn't working out.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/sigourney-weaver-returns-dead-ghostbusters-article-1.2635262

This particular quote says it all:

Quote"I've never been involved in a project with so many different edits, re-edits and story alterations."

This movie is D.O.A. Just seal it away in the Ecto-Containment Unit before Sony loses any more money.

This is looking more and more like exhibit A in a lesson of people who have grand ideas and no clue what the hell to do with them.

I've only just read all the leaked Sony emails and was pretty shocked by how revolting their treatment of Reitman appeared to be. Here in England with iconic shows such as Dr Who there has often been a tradition (with the 2005 revival series) to appreciate and value the opinions of "legends" from that show's past and welcome them back with open arms when potential for their involvement again presents itself. It really paid off like a charm with that massive success of that show. It seems in America things are....a little different. Obviously the industry there is different and so are "the rules" but if they paid heed to said formula of "respecting the past" boy could they be paid off just as handsomely.

Reitman is almost certainly furious about what has been allowed to happen. You see him sitting "proudly" next to Katie Dippold and Feig but the truth is he's been "rolled out" as a propaganda tool to smooth things over with the fanbase. You would think as one of the greatest ever comedy director's (and to be honest the half creator of Ghostbusters) they might want to listen to his opinion?

I do think though plans are afoot to reclaim his franchise (and as he rightfully, almost vengefully, pointed out in SFX's 30th anniversary Ghostbusters mag in 2014 it remains firmly HIS franchise). With all the hate mail Feig has gotten he'd have to be nuts to want to direct another. And with so many other projects in development at Ghost Corps he's not exactly the new "master" of who says what should happen with the future of Ghostbusters. Reitman is still very much in charge of all that. Feig is merely a hired hand. Evidence suggests their trying to "explain away" the rebooted universe already by talking about making a team up film between the old and new casts. Yeah I know, believe it when we see it! Yet another Avengers cash in and all that! But the point is a better project truer to the universe we love may present itself further along the line. My advice: let's wait till next year after the aftermath, let's see what comes...

It's nauseating how many media outlets are targeting James Rolfe over his decision not to see this film. Just search for his name on Google News and see how many articles there are. Most of these so-called journalists had probably never even heard of Rolfe until now, yet they're launching personal attacks at him en masse. And the main charge they're levelling is, of course, sexism. Even though he didn't say anything even vaguely sexist in his video. Even Patton Oswalt has been taking shots at him on Twitter. Apparently if you're reluctant to squander your disposable income on Sony's product, then you must be a misogynistic whiny MRA man-child. That's actually the level of argumentation these professional journalists are running with.

The encouraging thing to come out of all this is that the majority of comments on these articles are in Rolfe's defence. It's as if Rolfe is speaking for the fans while the media's speaking for Sony. I don't think I've ever seen this kind of conflict between a corporation and the reluctant consumer market they're targeting. The audience is screaming in one loud voice, "We don't want this product!" while the media attempts to bully them into paying for it. It's insane.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 19 May  2016, 18:17
It's nauseating how many media outlets are targeting James Rolfe over his decision not to see this film. Just search for his name on Google News and see how many articles there are. Most of these so-called journalists had probably never even heard of Rolfe until now, yet they're launching personal attacks at him en masse. And the main charge they're levelling is, of course, sexism. Even though he didn't say anything even vaguely sexist in his video. Even Patton Oswalt has been taking shots at him on Twitter. Apparently if you're reluctant to squander your disposable income on Sony's product, then you must be a misogynistic whiny MRA man-child. That's actually the level of argumentation these professional journalists are running with.
I'm sure no one believes that we are obligated to see this film.  But most of us aren't posting YouTube videos making a stand about our decision.  Maybe that's what people like Patton Oswalt are objecting to.

That said, it will be interesting to see whether these same journalists will continue to defend the new Ghostbusters when it's finally released and they see it for themselves (assuming they choose to do so).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 19 May  2016, 19:16
I'm sure no one believes that we are obligated to see this film.  But most of us aren't posting YouTube videos making a stand about our decision. 

That's because most of us aren't YouTube celebrities with a fan base repeatedly asking us to comment on the situation. Rolfe originally posted the video on his own website, Cinemassacre.com, before Mike Matei reposted it on the Cinemassacre YouTube page. Any long-time followers of Rolfe will know that he always makes announcements in the form of videos like this. Cinemassacre has Twitter and Facebook pages, but Rolfe prefers communicating with his fans through videos rather than in written form. He's been doing this since around 2006. He's made numerous videos on the Ghostbusters franchise in the past and many people have been waiting to hear his views on the reboot, particularly since he's remained conspicuously silent on the subject until now. So he posted a video, just like the thousands of other videos he's regularly uploaded over the years, clarifying his stance and saying that he had no interest in seeing the movie just so he could trash it. He knows he won't like the film so he's choosing not to pay to see it.

He didn't say anything sexist.

He didn't attack the people who did want to see the film.

And he didn't present the video in-character as AVGN or as a 'click bait' entry in some other commercial series; it was just another video update, like the countless others he uploads on his website, stating his disinterest in reviewing a film he knew in advance he'd be prejudiced against.

The overreaction from Oswalt and several media outlets, calling Rolfe out and insulting him on a personal and political level, has been totally uncalled for. Oswalt took a lot of heat himself from DC fans over negative comments he made during a Screen Junkies video prior to the release of BvS. He should know better than to treat others the same way.

Why are these outlets ganging up on Rolfe, an independent filmmaker with zero influence in Hollywood? Why not go after Brad Jones, Joe Vargas and all the other YouTube celebrities who've made similar videos announcing their intentions to skip the Ghostbusters reboot? Why should any of these people be attacked on a personal level anyway, just because they voiced an opinion, and one which the vast majority of fans happen to agree with?

I don't know, but I don't tend to believe in conspiracy theories, so there must be some tangible reason why Patton Oswalt and others are singing out this individual and not others who have made videos expressing their decision not to see the film.

Anyway, Oswalt has got form behaving in a hypocritical manner.  He's the guy who used to make rape jokes and then one day had an epiphany and started calling out others for their sexism and misogyny.  I hate rape jokes too, but unlike Oswalt, I never made them, and I don't take it upon myself to act like an authority on the subject.

I don't generally buy into conspiracy theories either, but there's something suspiciously coordinated about the way so many sites are making an example out of this one indie filmmaker. They all seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that Rolfe is a professional film critic. He isn't. He makes comedy films and reviews videogames. Admittedly he did used to review movies for Spike.com, but he stopped doing those about five years ago. Since then he just does his annual 'Monster Madness' reviews in October and uploads the odd video of him and his friends chatting about a new release they've just seen.

The only time I remember a comparable backlash to one of his film-related videos was back in 2008 when he said he preferred Burton's Batman to Nolan's, thereby incurring the wrath of the Nolanites. But the press never got in on the argument like they're doing now, and neither did any celebrities. Rolfe simply isn't a pro film critic, so why single him out?

I sense a kill order from Sony's viral marketing division behind the whole thing. Ral confirmed that Feig's been personally contacting various websites to drum up support for the movie, and I know for a fact that at least one of the reboot's most dedicated defenders on the IMDb has been exposed as a Sony intern. They're working overtime to try and counteract all the negativity. I think Rolfe's a casualty of that campaign. As for Oswalt, I suspect he's probably friends with some of the people who worked on the movie and is defending it for personal reasons. Though that's still no excuse for him attacking people with different opinions.

Well, there you go.  The guy prefers Burton's Batman to Nolan.  To many people in the critical and filmmaking establishment, that represents heresy.  I guess for that reason he's a fair target.  :-\

You know, I checked out X-Men: Apocalypse this past Friday night, and during the trailers, this new Ghostbusters was previewed. The guy sitting directly in front of me, following the end of the Ghostbusters trailer, leaned up and said to his buddy sitting 2 seats away from him that he was on his own if he wanted to see that! Adding, "Sorry, that looks like garbage."

I then couldn't help but to tell a friend I was watching X-Men with by adding, "You know ... he's right."

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."