And our new Batman is apparently.....

Started by Catwoman, Fri, 17 May 2019, 01:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Those quotes indicate that he gets it, which is good. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does with it.

A major part of the character's appeal - as opposed to, for example, Superman (or Adam West's Bright Knight) - is that he isn't inherently good and upstanding. He fights for the right things, but in a way that the morality police are not going to approve of. I'm not near as versed in Superman's battles, but what I've seen of him indicates to me that he doesn't want to hurt his foes and would rather they surrender peacefully and that there might be a touch of regret to injury inflicted (exacerbated by the fact that he's a, well, Super Man and is wary of throwing too much weight around, which I can certainly respect and appreciate). Batman on the other hand, I think we can all agree that when he hears the snap of some thug's humerus or tibia, it gives him a bit of life. And those of us that have always wished we could snap the bones of folks who prey upon or do harm to the innocent enjoy living vicariously through that.

Plus, simply put, it's a hell of a lot more interesting. I say that with no offense intended towards Superman or his fans, I love and admire what the character stands for. Batman's plight and fight are just a lot more compelling.

Michael Giacchino has confirmed he's doing the score, as expected given his connection to Reeves.

Pattinson spoke about the batsuit too:

Doesn't sound like we're getting the white eye look.

I'm a lifelong Superman guy. For me, the entire appeal of Batman started with B89 and specifically came from the angle that Batman operates on a very different moral paradigm not only from Superman but different from most other people. Where Superman has an innate trustworthiness about him, Batman comes off as more dangerous.

If anything, this comment from Pattinson is a good indicator that he and others involved with the film get it.

B89 really changed the equation cinematically because it presented a man who lives alone in a mansion, with only an elderly butler for company. Adam West is my favorite Batman (for being so intelligent and likeable), but it makes the most sense for the character to be presented in a darker way when you consider his origins.

For the Pattinson universe I hold out hope we get a Robin. I really liked the dynamic Val Kilmer and Chris O'Donnell had in BF, and I think it's a shame that wasn't developed in further films before they introduced Batgirl. Batman as a mentor to a young man is something I'm eager to see again. There's rumors this may indeed happen, so fingers crossed. If they're looking to expand the new era it would make the most sense.

As for Batman's appeal, he excites people because he has so many components that other characters like Superman lack. Superman just flies around, which is cool. But Batman has a fleet of vehicles, with the car design always being of interest. The batcave is undoubtedly the most famous comic headquarters, and with it comes all the gadgets and secret entrances. There's something magical about walking down stairs into a comic shop for that very reason. The bat signal is also something not to be dismissed in term of iconography and old school mythicism.