Bruce Wayne and politics.

Started by Batman88, Thu, 8 Nov 2012, 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic
I know this may sound kind of a silly question, but who do you think Bruce Wayne would vote for ? Republican, Democratic or Independent ?
"Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread."

Thu, 8 Nov 2012, 20:26 #1 Last Edit: Thu, 8 Nov 2012, 20:31 by SilentEnigma
I think he wouldn't see the point in choosing the frontman, but if he thought one of the two is dangerous, he would pick the other one.

Depending on who's writing, I could picture Bruce pretty much buying the election to make sure the candidate to whom he's most opposed loses. But a cynical guy like that probably takes a dim view of partisan politics to begin with so I can't convince myself he takes any election very seriously.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  9 Nov  2012, 06:44
Depending on who's writing, I could picture Bruce pretty much buying the election to make sure the candidate to whom he's most opposed loses. But a cynical guy like that probably takes a dim view of partisan politics to begin with so I can't convince myself he takes any election very seriously.

That's what I figured. I just said "let's just have some fun with a quirky question". I'm glad you guys chimed in with your opinions.

On the other hand, what side would SuperMan and Iron Man lean to , in your opinion ?

I read this on another forum a few years ago and I gotta say I agree. Superman is a Blue Dog Democrat, while Batman is an anti-gun Libertarian/Borderline Anarchist. While I don't think Bruce cares about social issues at all, he is always very much portrayed as someone who is distrustful of organized power and favor people being left to their own devices (or at least leaving him alone). And he quite obviously believes in being thought on crime (so much so that he went to do it himself). The one thing he belief in that goes against this is the gun issue, which he's against for obvious reasons., and I would also think this would extend to his views on the death penalty.

Supes on the other had is very much a Kansas boy and patriotic, but he does believe the safety net and working to ensure everyones safety and well-being (Superman 4). While he's the most powerful being on the planet, I don't see him as someone who inherently likes conflict. He seems like someone who rather see conflict resolved by peaceful means and is always looking out for the wellbeing of others around him.

Quote from: ElCuervoMuerto on Fri,  9 Nov  2012, 09:00
I read this on another forum a few years ago and I gotta say I agree. Superman is a Blue Dog Democrat, while Batman is an anti-gun Libertarian/Borderline Anarchist. While I don't think Bruce cares about social issues at all, he is always very much portrayed as someone who is distrustful of organized power and favor people being left to their own devices (or at least leaving him alone). And he quite obviously believes in being thought on crime (so much so that he went to do it himself). The one thing he belief in that goes against this is the gun issue, which he's against for obvious reasons., and I would also think this would extend to his views on the death penalty.

Supes on the other had is very much a Kansas boy and patriotic, but he does believe the safety net and working to ensure everyones safety and well-being (Superman 4). While he's the most powerful being on the planet, I don't see him as someone who inherently likes conflict. He seems like someone who rather see conflict resolved by peaceful means and is always looking out for the wellbeing of others around him.

Thanks for your terrific write-up and for taking the time to write it. I was wondering, who would Tony Stark vote for, instead ?

I always thought os Clark Kent/SuperMan as more of a Republican that leans towards the center. Your analysis , though, might be the best one.

Fri, 9 Nov 2012, 13:27 #7 Last Edit: Fri, 9 Nov 2012, 13:41 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  9 Nov  2012, 06:44
Good points. He initially didn't totally trust Harvey Dent in TDK when he was romancing the city. It's safe to say from his point of view, whoever gets in is going to bring more or less the same thing in a different wrapper. And if not, he's just waiting for them to trip up. Bruce is a man that doesn't trust people easily, always keeps an eye on proceedings and intervenes when needed. Which is often. He's seen it all before.

Quote from: Batman88 on Fri,  9 Nov  2012, 12:29I always thought os Clark Kent/SuperMan as more of a Republican that leans towards the center. Your analysis , though, might be the best one.
Yep. Individualism, personal responsibility and charity; sounds like a Republican to me.

QuoteI always thought os Clark Kent/SuperMan as more of a Republican that leans towards the center. Your analysis , though, might be the best one.

Really I could see Clark as either a moderate Reublican or a Blue Dog liberal. I.e. he's pretty much centrist.  :) I while I don't see him as someone itching for a completely interventionist foreign policy, he does understand the need to able to go into action for the greater good (he is a superhero after all). I don't see him giving any credence to any kind of radicalism, either from the right or the left. But he's definitely not as "conservative" (in term of the though on crime and distrustful of centralized power) as Bruce.

As for Iron Man...the more I think of it the more I think he would be the most extreme centrist of all. He's distrustful of government at times (IM2) but he's definitely pro-science and I would think he would share the same views on science education and govt. funding as someone like Neil deGrasse Tyson. He's in the arms business, but he's wants peace to prevail, yet he's not gonna back down from conflict...I dunno, he's a though cookie to classify, at least from my very limited exposure to the character (the movie and Ultimate comics, along with one or two of the 616 stories).