Kevin Costner in the new Jack Ryan film !

Started by Batman88, Mon, 3 Sep 2012, 08:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Mon, 3 Sep 2012, 08:43 Last Edit: Mon, 3 Sep 2012, 08:48 by Batman88
The new Kenneth Branagh-helmed Jack Ryan film started shooting a couple of days ago, September first. I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS JUST 'CAUSE KEVIN COSTNER IS IN IT.

I am so happy that Kevin is having a career "resurgence" as journalists have been calling it lately. I've been a fan since I was a little kid; own books about him, every single film he's starred in and posters of his films, seen as many interviews with him as possible during the years. HE'S THE MAN. One of my top 5 favorite MEN ever.

Also, beyond the Ryan role, Kevin could have also found his Liam-Neeson-becomes-a-badass-thanks-to-Taken style part in the Adi Hasak- and Besson-scripted Three Days to Kill. I hope he'll sign on to do the role. Can totally picture him playing it.

I CAN'T LITERALLY WAIT TO SEE HIM BACK ON THE BIG SCREEN KICKING A**-

I'm sure excited about him having a few high-profile projects coming out but what I think I'm even more excited about is that he's being re-discovered by those critics that have been putting him down the past 15 years or so. What we are witnessing is a rightful recognition of the guy's talent but I imagine it's easier calling it a comeback.

looking boss with the special agent gear on: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/xqyBa4YZipC/Kevin+Costner+Films+Jack+Ryan+New+York/uA07UpP8nFZ/Kevin+Costner

On set pics:
http://www.wireimage.it/search/?cc=ITA&language=it#events?q=costner/[151113857]&ep=1/60/1&s=3

In action with with Chris Pine:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2197041/Kevin-Costner-looks-better-films-action-scenes-Chris-Pine-set-Kenneth-Branaghs-Jack-Ryan-prequel.html

Brief article on his "career resurgence":
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/kevin-costner-jack-ryan-three-days-to-kill-kerbl.php

Chilling out on set with Branagh:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2196812/Chris-Pine-works-sweat-set-new-spy-movie-Jack-Ryan--star-Kevin-Costner-chills-sidelines.html
"Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread."

I love The Untouchables - in my Top 5 for sure.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Mon,  3 Sep  2012, 08:54
I love The Untouchables - in my Top 5 for sure.

Yeah, that's a classic. Love it. One of my favorites, ever.

I didn't know Chris Pine had been cast as Jack Ryan. I love the old film series, especially The Hunt for the Red October. So I'll look forward to seeing how this turns out.

The Untouchables is a classic too. A great TV show (the original version) and a great movie. If you think about it, Connery had an amazing run of films in the late eighties/early nineties: The Untouchables, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Hunt for the Red October. So good, in fact, that I think I feel a song coming on...

Incidentally, Michael Keaton and Kevin Costner appeared on screen together during the morgue party scene in Night Shift (1982).

Tue, 4 Sep 2012, 12:51 #4 Last Edit: Tue, 4 Sep 2012, 17:03 by Batman88
Are you guys fans of Costner's work ?

Quote from: Batman88 on Tue,  4 Sep  2012, 12:51

I'm not. He's basically had only 1 successful film since Dances with wolves (thirteen days), other than that it's been a brutal series of flops for him. Waterworld actually wasn't a bad movie but his acting was brutal in it. But he was on fire in the late 80's and early 90's. I'm actually interested to see how he fares as Jonathan Kent, he hasn't done a lot of supporting work but perhaps with a smaller role he can focus on his scenes more and recapture his magic with films such as Field of Dreams. I don't see him as a leading man again though although some actors re invent themselves at later ages, for instance Alec Baldwin.

Quote from: riddler on Wed,  5 Sep  2012, 03:39
Quote from: Batman88 on Tue,  4 Sep  2012, 12:51

I'm not. He's basically had only 1 successful film since Dances with wolves (thirteen days), other than that it's been a brutal series of flops for him. Waterworld actually wasn't a bad movie but his acting was brutal in it. But he was on fire in the late 80's and early 90's. I'm actually interested to see how he fares as Jonathan Kent, he hasn't done a lot of supporting work but perhaps with a smaller role he can focus on his scenes more and recapture his magic with films such as Field of Dreams. I don't see him as a leading man again though although some actors re invent themselves at later ages, for instance Alec Baldwin.

Box-office success doesn't imply a movie is good. And he has done supporting roles like in The Upside of Anger and The Company Men in which he was terrific. Also, Hatfields & McCoys was a tremendous success on all levels and he's been nominated for an Emmy for Best Actor in a Mini-Series. Also, he was terrific in Mr. Brooks, Open Range . . . anyway, thanks for expressing your opinion, much appreciated.

He seems like a likeable person--I actually was intrigued when he went to Congress with an idea for helping clean up the BP Oil Spill.   It seemed as though he genuinely wanted to help, and had an idea that might have been useful.  I know some media pundits portrayed him as being off his rocker for doing that, but hey, anyone who wants to help out in a time of crisis gets a thumbs up from me.

I thought he was brilliant in Silverado, I like Untouchables well enough (loved it as a kid, but David M's writing is all over the place), and Field of Dreams was my anthem--I was a baseball nut until a few years ago.  And yay to Bull Durham as well.

His record post 1990 is a bit spotty:  Water World, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Wyatt Earp, and some other misfires punctuate his recent career.

I am very much looking forward to his work as Jonathan Kent.  Interesting that they're going with him for Jack Ryan. I suppose Ben Affleck ultimately was a bit too young for the character--and despite his aging there is still an aura of youth or a lack of aesthetic maturity about him.  Not a bad thing, mind you, but just not right for the role.  I liked Baldwin's version of the character the best so far, but I thought Patriot Games was the strongest entry in the series so far.  I'm excited for KC to have a chance at getting his career back on track. 

Quote from: greggbray on Wed,  5 Sep  2012, 13:39
He seems like a likeable person--I actually was intrigued when he went to Congress with an idea for helping clean up the BP Oil Spill.   It seemed as though he genuinely wanted to help, and had an idea that might have been useful.  I know some media pundits portrayed him as being off his rocker for doing that, but hey, anyone who wants to help out in a time of crisis gets a thumbs up from me.

I thought he was brilliant in Silverado, I like Untouchables well enough (loved it as a kid, but David M's writing is all over the place), and Field of Dreams was my anthem--I was a baseball nut until a few years ago.  And yay to Bull Durham as well.

His record post 1990 is a bit spotty:  Water World, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Wyatt Earp, and some other misfires punctuate his recent career.

I am very much looking forward to his work as Jonathan Kent.  Interesting that they're going with him for Jack Ryan. I suppose Ben Affleck ultimately was a bit too young for the character--and despite his aging there is still an aura of youth or a lack of aesthetic maturity about him.  Not a bad thing, mind you, but just not right for the role.  I liked Baldwin's version of the character the best so far, but I thought Patriot Games was the strongest entry in the series so far.  I'm excited for KC to have a chance at getting his career back on track.

Thanks for your nice write-up ! I'd like to stress that he's not playing Jack Ryan in the new film, but his mentor. Ryan is being played by Chris Pine who's a young actor.

^ Ah!  Well that makes sense.  I like Chris Pine.  Should be interesting.  But I tend to picture Jack Ryan as a bit older, so we'll see.

Still, best of luck to KC.