Batman Azrael ?

Started by Batman88, Wed, 21 Sep 2011, 09:47

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi guys, I remember when I was a kid seeing some comic covers of Batman in a sort of "mechanical" armor, something definitely different from his usual get-up. Today I stumbled across an old Batman comic book of mine and found out that the series of comics that featured Batman using that armor-like suit is called "Batman Azrael". I'd love to learn everything you guys know about this.
"Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread."

Azrael was an agent in the service of the Order of St. Dumas. The first Azrael was Jean-Paul Valley, who ultimately broke away from the Order and became an ally of Batman and Robin (as depicted in The Sword of Azrael).

When Bruce Wayne's back was broken by Bane during the Knightfall story arc, Jean-Paul Valley assumed the mantle of Batman and took his place. He initially wore the traditional batsuit but later adopted an upgraded hi-tech costume modelled on his old Azrael armour. The suit was bullet-proof and featured gauntlets that fired batarangs and retractable grapple lines.

Later Bruce Wayne reclaimed the mantle and the armoured costume was forgotten.

Thank you so much for the kind reply, man. It was very helpful !
"Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread."

I recall that at the time DC Comics was getting a lot of mail from people who hated the new Batman. I believe one of the writers once commented, "That was the point!" They wanted people to hate the new guy.  Still, it was a great storyline.