The Killing off of Harley Quinn

Started by Cobblepot4Mayor, Thu, 5 Dec 2013, 21:11

Previous topic - Next topic
I never really liked Batman Beyond (which here in the UK was always called Batman of the Future strangely). Until I saw the Return of the Joker movie that is. Tying it all in with the original animated series and New Batman Adventures was a stroke of genius and quite unique and rare in animated shows. The only other one I can think of in this style is Real Ghostbusters and it's direct sequel many years later Extreme Ghostbusters.

The flashback sequence was clearly the highlight of the movie. If it was in the comics this wouldv'e been Batman's answer to Spider-Man's "The Night Gwen Stacy Died". I loved how it brought a sense of finality to the original series. It really felt like the final battle of Kevin Conroy's Batman era. The Joker actually learning his identity was especially shocking. But the biggest shock for me was that they were bold enough to actually kill Harley Quinn. Her falling into that bottomless pit is almost a connection to the Joker's movie girlfriend Alicia's death who "threw herself out of the window".

I was very disappointed however when at the end they bring her back as an old lady of the future. I didn't quite buy this. Harley going straight, surviving that fall and then even having some grandchildren? Er. For me that was a slight cop out that ruined a memorable dramatic moment. I know Paul Dini was against the idea but since we're dealing with a flashback in a movie set in the far future why not? It gives them the licence to gives those characters a conclusion we can never see elsewhere. So for me Harley defintely perished in that fall and it keeps up those themes of the Joker's ladies always coming to a sticky end at some point.

this will come as absolutely zero shock but i am glad she was revealed to have survived. maybe she just found the abandoned arkham mattress factory lol.

Quote from: Catwoman on Fri,  6 Dec  2013, 16:55
this will come as absolutely zero shock but i am glad she was revealed to have survived. maybe she just found the abandoned arkham mattress factory lol.
Who cares about Harley surviving?  I'm glad she did, because she strikes me as a 'survivor', but if anyone deserved to live a good life into old age and have children it was the Ice Princess.  Her beautiful genes should have been passed onto future generations.  Not Harley's common psycho genes.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I know where you are coming from Cobbles- but:

It's also quite tragic as well. The stark contrast between the two lives. Looking back at 'the way we were'. The Joker has gone into hibernation without Batman in other stories, so it's safe to say Harley lost her energy for mayhem once her beloved Mister J was no more. I don't think she grew up per se, but she simply moved on.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat,  7 Dec  2013, 10:06
Quote from: Catwoman on Fri,  6 Dec  2013, 16:55
Who cares about Harley surviving?  I'm glad she did, because she strikes me as a 'survivor', but if anyone deserved to live a good life into old age and have children it was the Ice Princess.  Her beautiful genes should have been passed onto future generations.  Not Harley's common psycho genes.

are you f***ing serious? well, i guess you are, so i will play your little game.

at least by harley surviving she was able to pass on some brainpower. remember before the joker made her insane and brought out that crazy side of her, she was a criminal psychologist. she was a brilliant woman gone insane. she was obviously rehabilitated (probably quite easily and quickly once she realized her puddin' was gone for good) and regained herself.

the ice princess meanwhile would have just added to the world's iq getting worse and worse by procreating. i usually don't believe in "survival of the fittest" but i will make an exception here.

QuoteWho cares about Harley surviving?  I'm glad she did, because she strikes me as a 'survivor', but if anyone deserved to live a good life into old age and have children it was the Ice Princess.  Her beautiful genes should have been passed onto future generations.  Not Harley's common psycho genes.
Dude...just..wow.  :P
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

Thu, 6 Nov 2014, 22:55 #6 Last Edit: Sat, 8 Nov 2014, 06:40 by Slash Man
I'm a bit mixed on it, but I did like the flashback. Except for how Robin was handled. First of all, Robin being kidnapped is cliched beyond belief, even as far as the animated series goes (i.e. The Demon's Quest, Bane, etc.). I thought having Tim Drake as a younger Robin was a smart move after Dick's younger years were glanced over. Though I didn't like that he was helpless to do anything, lost his mind, and essentially gave away the secrets of the Bat-Family. I think what irked me the most was that Tim Drake stopped being Robin after that. Bummer.

Harley on the other hand, I liked her sendoff. It may have seemed forced that two villains that are spared over and over again are suddenly killed off in this one instance, but Harley DIDN'T die. Personally, I don't think she deserved to die, as she wasn't truly evil. She was a functioning member of society before Joker corrupted her. Meanwhile, it really says something that she knew Batman's secrets, yet didn't act on it. I guess her mind finally snapped back into place.

EDIT: Harley's costume is in the Batcave in Batman Beyond... it seems Batman, or perhaps Bruce has since encountered Harley again.