Goldenthal's Batman scores need their own special relesase!

Started by wayne_manor, Thu, 25 Dec 2008, 16:07

Previous topic - Next topic
I think it's great that the batcommunity wants to get a special release of the Elfman's Batman scores as celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2009. But don't you think it's little bit unfair to Elliot Goldenthals Batman scores? I think it would be more logical WB to release all of the scores from the first 4 movies, not just 2 of them. Batman Forever considers to be one of the most unique and entertainable scores today. And Raleagh I hope you'll take it into account.

Eh. Goldenthal's main theme is worth listening to, but i don't think the score overall holds a candle to Elfman's work. And Batman & Robin's score is just more of the same from Batman Forever, isn't it? (From what I remember, anyway- I have a hard time sitting through that whole movie.)

Well i can say the same about B&R movie, but WB still would release it in 2005. No matter how popular it was, it should be released as an addition to the whole franchise. It's seems pointless to release only the Elfmans bat scores. I guess WB would not release only the Elfmans one or perhaps they would not release any of them at all. I mean, come on! 151 signatures? It's not enough for WB to release those scores. They just don't seem to find it worth the effort (sadly). If you want it to be released next year, you should get as much signatures as it possible.

I love the Forever score. It does sound like Danny's music but it also says Goldenthal. It's one of the best things about the film IMO, even though it was corny at times. But yeah, I think they deserve full updated releases.

The matter of the score sounding like the Elfman scores is not an issue for me. It's just like the Superman scores. They had two different composers for II-IV and even though they used John Williams' themes and sounded similar, they were still good and new IMO. The music from TAS were also rehashes of the Elfman scores as well. I say if it works, it works(for me at least).

The problem I had was the B&R score. It was for the most part the Forever score recycled, not to mention the movie was just stupid. It deserves a full release none the less.

The main reasons we are not petitioning for a Goldenthal score is because  A. this is a Burton specific site and forum   B. Its the 20th anniversary of the 89 Batman movie, NOT Forever.   C. There is much more of a love and demand for Elfmans score than any others of the live action series.

I also dont hear ANYTHING  Elfman in Goldenthals music. At least in the Superman films, it may have been different composers, but it was still the same themes. Forever not only introduced an entirely new direction for the films and its characters, but also for the music. Also, where is it documented that Goldenthals Batman scores are considered "one of the most unique and entertainable"? My years on Batman message boards this is a first for me reading this.

Also, and Im gonna be harsh here, who cares if its "unfair" to Goldenthal? Then lets get a rerelease and remastered edition of Neal Heftis music and a mass retail release of Shirley Walkers scores.

We are Burton Batman enthusiasts here. This is the main focus here.

I really do love the Goldenthal score to a point, but it is true its nowhere near as good as Elfmans score or the BB and TDK scores for that matter.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Quote from: shadowbat69 on Fri, 26 Dec  2008, 02:37I also dont hear ANYTHING  Elfman in Goldenthals music.

Mr. Elfman sure thought so:

"Elfman was absent, however, from a certain big-budget movie earlier this year, Batman Forever. The reason is very simple: "they didn't ask me," he says. He wasn't too disappointed initially, having heard that the filmmakers wanted to go in a different direction; however, then he saw the film, and was surprised to find much of Elliot Goldenthal's score similar to his own Bat-music in sound and style. Elfman also knows what the first Oscar-nominated score of the year will be, because he walked out of the movie due to the music, and "whenever that happens, I know it will be Oscar nominated." (What that is, however, he isn't telling.)" http://www.boingo.org/articles/FSMarticle2.html

I can see if you don't hear any of Elfman's dark music in the Forever score, but I believe much of the score has some similarities to Danny's other compositions. Goldenthal's Batman march for example reminds me somewhat of Tales from the Crypt.

He most definitly used a lot of reference to what Elfman had done, and did his own version, any musician can clearly hear it through almost the whole film.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

I think the main theme is pretty cool, Specially when i was young.
The movie came out when i was about 7 years old, I had lots of toys from the movie. And i remember humming the main theme while playing with the toys. I had the Bruce Wayne toy that you could put the batsuit on.
So while he suited up, I hummed that theme! ;D
The memorys!... I still have the Batmobile somewhere.

A while back i did the same thing, When i put on one of my Replica cowls from my collection. LOL.

I like the Forever score, although the main theme is overplayed throughout the film. I love seeing the Warner Bros. logo turn into the Batman logo!