Best Title Sequence

Started by The Dark Knight, Thu, 30 Oct 2008, 09:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is better?

Batman
Batman Returns
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 31 Oct  2008, 01:53
With Returns, the story is being progressed. It's got more interesting thing to look at, sinister surroundings and all that water. The music is better in my opinion, too.
I think we've gotten the point by now that BR is better than anything else for you!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Always liked the 89 opening the best, over any of the bat films. Its very "monumental".

I also view the 89 opening as a more film noir type of opening and Returns as a horror film type opening.

Quote from: DarkVengeance on Sat,  1 Nov  2008, 22:13
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 31 Oct  2008, 01:53
With Returns, the story is being progressed. It's got more interesting thing to look at, sinister surroundings and all that water. The music is better in my opinion, too.
I think we've gotten the point by now that BR is better than anything else for you!
I do like Batman89 things, namely the soundtrack. But yes, it's mostly all about Returns for me.

I loved the Returns opening sequence! Really put a smile on my face no matter how many times I saw it.

www.batmanslair.proboards.com

I do like both, believe me they are both very imaginative and original, and fit perfect for both films, I just like 89's more, its a little more batman to me, adding in the bat symbol and all!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Quote from: Knight-of-Darkness on Sun,  2 Nov  2008, 14:02
I loved the Returns opening sequence! Really put a smile on my face no matter how many times I saw it.
Yes, same with me. It really gets me in the mood for the film each time. It would be amazing to see this on the big screen with a booming sound system.

I'll have to go with Returns on this one, but just by a hair.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I was 11 when BR came out.  I only saw it in theaters that one time on opening day.  As I've said before, what I really wanted from any Batman movie was for Batman to scrap down with folks.  The movie could've been nothing but Batman beating the holy freaking stuffings out of everybody and I would've felt like I'd gotten my money's worth.

When the movie came out on video though, my perceptions changed a bit.  That opening credit sequence always struck me as a bit odd.  I loved it but I couldn't put my finger on precisely why.

If I had to put a label on it now, I'd go with "old Hollywood".  For BR in general but those opening credits in particular, there was something so classic about them.  Vintage, ya know?  They just don't make movies that way anymore.  I feel that way about most Burton films.  He's a true talent, esp in terms of how he processes cinema as a visual language.  He's a product of his influences like any filmmaker and the BR credits have this texture to them.  There is an air of menace, to be sure, but beneath all that is awe and wonder and spectacle and possibility.  Anything can happen.  Men can put on costumes in the name of justice.  Rejected orphans can have an unquenchable thirst for vengeance.

Everything I love about Batman as a literary figure is, oddly enough, summed up in those potential suggested in BR's opening credits.  Those visuals coupled with those music cues really tickle the imagination and give you a nostalgia for a period in Hollywood filmmaking you're entirely too young to have caught the first time 'round.

The 11 year old me would have been happy with Batman kicking the snot out of everybody.  The 28 year old me is simply happy to have two films by a director who understands what tickling the imagination can do for a child's viewing sensibilities.

I love the air of mystery and intrigue suggested by B89's opening credits but for my money they come no higher than BR's opener.  No sounds, no dialogue, just music and visuals.

It's perfect.

Tue, 7 Jul 2009, 05:31 #18 Last Edit: Tue, 7 Jul 2009, 05:38 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  7 Jul  2009, 05:23
If I had to put a label on it now, I'd go with "old Hollywood".  For BR in general but those opening credits in particular, there was something so classic about them.  Vintage, ya know?  They just don't make movies that way anymore.  I feel that way about most Burton films.  He's a true talent, esp in terms of how he processes cinema as a visual language.  He's a product of his influences like any filmmaker and the BR credits have this texture to them.  There is an air of menace, to be sure, but beneath all that is awe and wonder and spectacle and possibility.  Anything can happen.  Men can put on costumes in the name of justice.  Rejected orphans can have an unquenchable thirst for vengeance.

Everything I love about Batman as a literary figure is, oddly enough, summed up in those potential suggested in BR's opening credits.  Those visuals coupled with those music cues really tickle the imagination and give you a nostalgia for a period in Hollywood filmmaking you're entirely too young to have caught the first time 'round.

The 11 year old me would have been happy with Batman kicking the snot out of everybody.  The 28 year old me is simply happy to have two films by a director who understands what tickling the imagination can do for a child's viewing sensibilities.

I love the air of mystery and intrigue suggested by B89's opening credits but for my money they come no higher than BR's opener.  No sounds, no dialogue, just music and visuals.

It's perfect.
Well said.

The opening credits are possibly my favorite part of the whole film. It's just too awesome for words. The shot of the Penguin baby going into the sewer is just haunting and magical at once. Elfman's sinister twinkling noises and the 'dung...dung..." strings at that moment just sell it even more.

I truly cannot pick  between either. There is a beauty to the basket floating down the sewer, but also an appropriate mystic quality to that opening from 89. The way the symbol is explored, and then finally revealed is quite well done.

I simply cannot choose, both were too perfect.