Batman The Complete Animated Series Blu Ray set (2018)

Started by The Joker, Wed, 8 Aug 2018, 23:53

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 14 Aug  2018, 03:12
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 12 Aug  2018, 03:49
Quote from: Catwoman on Thu,  9 Aug  2018, 20:11
Very torn. I love the goodies that come with it (including the two movies like you said) but that is a hell of an investment at least for someone like me. Considering the DC Universe thing will have the series in HD when it launches (and maybe Phantasm and SubZero too), I may have to skip on the set in favor of the subscription.
I have the complete series on DVD, and I don't feel the need for an upgrade. I'm curious to see how much of a visual upgrade the Blu-ray offers, though.
That's pretty much where I am too. I have the DVD's and those are good enough for me. And since we're talking about animation which was designed to be seen at something akin to DVD quality, I don't really see what benefits those extra lines of resolution will bring to the table.

Maybe there is some tangible advantage to HD animation... but even if there is, I don't see how it could be substantial enough to justify the cost.

Slightly off-topic but I'm nearing the end of a rewatch of Batman Beyond. Strange too. Thought I'd seen all the episodes before. Turns out, I somehow overlooked about half of them.

Some episodes are better than others. But on a per-episode basis, the quality is actually pretty high. Some things haven't aged all that well but in the main Batman Beyond really does hold up.
Yeah, I agree with all that. I'm not dismissing the importance of the show, but when it comes to animation I'm not as fussed with image quality – and BTAS on DVD still looks good anyway. Another factor is how often I watch animated content. I believe BTAS is the best overall incarnation of the Batman world, but how often do I watch it? Not that much, and because of that, the DVDs suits my needs when I do. BTAS always had a retro feel to it. I'm curious to see if the clarity of Blu-ray turns the series into something it wasn't intended to be at the time.

Don't get the impression this is sour grapes. I'm glad the Blu-ray option is going to be there.

But further on the topic of watching things, I don't seem to do that as much anymore. Even gaming. I fear I'm reaching the danger zone, where I need to set aside time to 'have fun', which you shouldn't have to do. It should be a natural feeling. And I know what to blame. iPads. I sit down and update my Twitter feed and that seems to be enough for me these days. And coming home from work that's what I do to 'catch up' on things, and then it's bedtime. Phones and iPads have sucked our souls, I tell you.

Tue, 14 Aug 2018, 12:29 #21 Last Edit: Tue, 14 Aug 2018, 12:31 by The Joker
Quote from: Azrael on Mon, 13 Aug  2018, 16:36
If there's the option to get them cheaper as HD video files, better refrain from buying standard HD (1080p) blurays. It won't be too long before everything is re-re-re-released again in UltraHD 4K Bluray (2160p). Unless someone really needs to buy the packaging.

You know, I've never made the jump to 4K and it's questionable if I ever will. I understand some love it, but I was one of those people who were perfectly happy with DVD, and never paid a whole hell of alot of attention to the HD DVD vs Blu Ray war until about late 2009 when I got a PS3, and was able to actually watch blu rays. And by this time blu ray only exclusive xtras was quickly becoming a thing. Even still, this wasn't an automatic precursor to going strictly blu ray. On what exactly I am purchasing, DVD was always an option, although I generally prefer a Blu/DVD combo if it's available. Depending upon my like of whatever movie/series, I like the bump in resolution, and cleaner image comes better color.

QuoteBut then, fans are collectors.

True. True.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 11 Aug  2018, 17:38The ultimate fates of these characters in the DCAU has always been something that fascinated me ever since Batman Beyond began. We find out what happened to the Joker, Ra's Al Ghul, Mr. Freeze, Bane, ect. But other's are not addressed at all. Probably Selina Kyle and Dick Grayson being the biggest two that were not fully addressed. We get Batman and Nightwing had a falling out, but not much else.

You should check out Batman Beyond: Hush Beyond (2011) by Adam Beechen, Ryan Benjamin and John Stanisci. It's a good story and goes into some depth about what happened between Bruce and Dick. It also reveals the fates of certain DCAU villains. I'm not sure it's considered canon by Warner Bros, but it's a very worthy addition to the Batman Beyond saga IMO.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 14 Aug  2018, 03:12Slightly off-topic but I'm nearing the end of a rewatch of Batman Beyond. Strange too. Thought I'd seen all the episodes before. Turns out, I somehow overlooked about half of them.

I'm in a similar boat. I watched a few episodes of Beyond back when it was first shown in the UK, but I was by no means a devoted follower. In recent years I've been slowly watching my way through every episode in chronological order and trying to catch up with the comic book tie-ins. I've been meaning to create some threads on the subject, but can never seem to get around to it.

Batman Beyond is becoming an increasingly overlooked part of the Batman mythology. Much as I like The Dark Knight Returns, I prefer the overall vision of Batman's future presented in Beyond. And Terry McGinnis is the only person besides Dick Grayson that I can accept as a worthy successor to Bruce. More younger fans should give the show a chance.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 14 Aug  2018, 15:47I'm in a similar boat. I watched a few episodes of Beyond back when it was first shown in the UK, but I was by no means a devoted follower. In recent years I've been slowly watching my way through every episode in chronological order and trying to catch up with the comic book tie-ins. I've been meaning to create some threads on the subject, but can never seem to get around to it.

Batman Beyond is becoming an increasingly overlooked part of the Batman mythology. Much as I like The Dark Knight Returns, I prefer the overall vision of Batman's future presented in Beyond. And Terry McGinnis is the only person besides Dick Grayson that I can accept as a worthy successor to Bruce. More younger fans should give the show a chance.
I'd probably be on the same wave length with you... except for the JLU episode "Epilogue". There were reveals in that episode that... I just CAN'T. You know? I prefer the idea of Terry and Bruce having as many similarities as they do differences. It balances their relationship, it keeps Bruce at the heart of who Batman is but it doesn't do so in a literal way.

Except Epilogue... doesn't exactly make it literal but it does bring it closer to home.

Random chance underlies everything we see in the Batman Beyond pilot. A lot of really weird factors had to come into play in order for Terry to become Batman, not least of which is Bruce's own self-doubts and brooding introspection. Bruce has to start believing in himself again before he can ever consider someone else taking up HIS mantle.

Epilogue doesn't exactly steamroll all of that... but it does introduce an unnecessary level of intentionality. I'm trying to avoid calling it Deus Ex Machina because I don't like using that term (and I'm not sure it fits this case anyway). But it's late, I'm sleepy and my vocabulary is failing me.

Point being that I rather enjoy Terry McGinnis as a pseudo-Batman. To me, Batman needs to always incorporate Bruce Wayne somehow. When Bruce finally croaks... I'm not sure I completely buy Terry as Batman anymore. He's good. But is he BATMAN? I don't think so.

To me, Bruce's successor is Tim. Dick never really wanted the job in the Post-Crisis comics that shaped my sensibilities of him and Jason is dead but Tim... Tim is "dark" enough to be Batman but he's not a slave to the darkness. There's a level of vengeance implicit in Bruce's mission that I just don't sense in Tim's own mission. He could become Batman. I can even believe he could become the world's greatest detective. But Tim's dark side just isn't as dark as Bruce's.

Which is why Tim might ultimately be the more effective Batman in some ways when his time comes.

That's an interesting perspective on Tim. I don't disagree with it, but I've not given Drake's long-term legacy much thought until now. When Tim did briefly don the cowl, it was unfortunately during that era when Grant Morrison and DC were sidelining him to make way for Damian Wayne. Drake was always portrayed as a second-tier contender during the Battle for the Cowl arc, while Dick and Jason took centre stage.

But I'd be down with seeing a more in-depth exploration of what might happen if Tim succeeded Bruce as Batman. Maybe a 'what if' Elseworlds scenario set in a future where Dick and Jason killed each other and Tim had to assume responsibility for Damian. That could be interesting.

There was the 'Titans Tomorrow' storyline (Teen Titans Vol 3 #17-19, December 2004-February 2005) where Tim encountered an alternate version of himself who had become Batman in a parallel universe. But that version of Drake was running around shooting criminals and was more like the murderous Batman of Flashpoint than the classic Bruce Wayne incarnation.

That storyline is obviously not an accurate projection of how the New Earth Drake would behave as Batman. It's about time someone wrote a story that does show what kind of a Batman he'd be.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 14 Aug  2018, 15:47
You should check out Batman Beyond: Hush Beyond (2011) by Adam Beechen, Ryan Benjamin and John Stanisci. It's a good story and goes into some depth about what happened between Bruce and Dick. It also reveals the fates of certain DCAU villains. I'm not sure it's considered canon by Warner Bros, but it's a very worthy addition to the Batman Beyond saga IMO.

Thanks. I've never even heard of it, but going off the reviews, Hush Beyond doesn't appear to be considred canon with the DCAU version. But what the hell? I might just track it down anyways for a fun read. Speaking of Tim Drake, I believe in the DC Comics version of Batman Beyond, Drake even succeeded Terry as Batman Beyond at some point. Although I know it absolutely has nothing to do with the DCAU continuity, but that's an example of Tim Drake literally being all over the place since the introduction of Damien Wayne. If there was ever a character that got short changed with no clear direction due to the creation of another, it's Tim.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 15 Aug  2018, 23:17Speaking of Tim Drake, I believe in the DC Comics version of Batman Beyond, Drake even succeeded Terry as Batman Beyond at some point.

I'm not familiar with that particular story, but it sounds interesting. It's hard to imagine how they could take Tim in that direction after what happened to him in Return of the Joker. But I'd be interested in seeing how the writers handled such an arc.

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 15 Aug  2018, 23:17If there was ever a character that got short changed with no clear direction due to the creation of another, it's Tim.

Sadly true.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 17 Aug  2018, 21:26
I'm not familiar with that particular story, but it sounds interesting. It's hard to imagine how they could take Tim in that direction after what happened to him in Return of the Joker. But I'd be interested in seeing how the writers handled such an arc.

Just to clarify, it was the DCU DC Comics version of Tim Drake that went on to succeed Terry as Batman Beyond at some point during the New52 stuff. Perhaps I wasn't clear in stating that I wasn't referring to the DCAU version of Tim Drake. But yeah, the DCU DC Comics version of Tim Drake has been all over the place since Damien Wayne entered the picture. First thing they did is make Tim, Red Robin, then with the alternate history of the New52, I think DC was actually trying to say that Tim never was a Robin anyways. That he was always Red Robin or some crap. Then Tim became Batman Beyond at some stage, and with Rebirth, he's now back to Red Robin, although I think DC back peddled and it's back to Tim being a Robin in his career all along. Funny stuff.

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 17 Aug  2018, 21:55Just to clarify, it was the DCU DC Comics version of Tim Drake that went on to succeed Terry as Batman Beyond at some point during the New52 stuff. Perhaps I wasn't clear in stating that I wasn't referring to the DCAU version of Tim Drake. But yeah, the DCU DC Comics version of Tim Drake has been all over the place since Damien Wayne entered the picture. First thing they did is make Tim, Red Robin, then with the alternate history of the New52, I think DC was actually trying to say that Tim never was a Robin anyways. That he was always Red Robin or some crap. Then Tim became Batman Beyond at some stage, and with Rebirth, he's now back to Red Robin, although I think DC back peddled and it's back to Tim being a Robin in his career all along. Funny stuff.
To be fair, I think the New 52 thing was part of the fallout from the five year timeline they were working with. It was hard to fit Dick, Jason, Tim, Stephanie, Tim again and Damian as Robin in a ten year timeline, which is what the pre-Flashpoint timeline was apparently supposed to be. But if you don't think too much about it, I guess it's doable.

But the New 52 had a five year history and it's basically impossible to fit Dick, Jason, Tim and Damian into that. Dick has to have been Robin because now he's Nightwing. Jason had to have been a Robin because now he's Red Hood. Damian has to be Robin because Grant Morrison.

But from a practical standpoint, Tim doesn't have to have been a Robin. He's the most expendable. So he was expended. Arguably DC might've been better served by deleting him from continuity entirely. But obviously that never happened.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 18 Aug  2018, 14:13
To be fair, I think the New 52 thing was part of the fallout from the five year timeline they were working with. It was hard to fit Dick, Jason, Tim, Stephanie, Tim again and Damian as Robin in a ten year timeline, which is what the pre-Flashpoint timeline was apparently supposed to be. But if you don't think too much about it, I guess it's doable.

But the New 52 had a five year history and it's basically impossible to fit Dick, Jason, Tim and Damian into that. Dick has to have been Robin because now he's Nightwing. Jason had to have been a Robin because now he's Red Hood. Damian has to be Robin because Grant Morrison.

But from a practical standpoint, Tim doesn't have to have been a Robin. He's the most expendable. So he was expended. Arguably DC might've been better served by deleting him from continuity entirely. But obviously that never happened.

That's true. When it comes to DC and who's more expendable, or preferably deleted in a roundabout way, it's Tim and not Damien. The whole 5 year deal with the New52 was more of a debacle than something that actually served the history or stories going forward. I mean, I've read criticisms about the Post-Crisis/Pre-Flashpoint Earth being called "Clutter Earth", but the New52 Earth could just as well be referred to as "Crammed Earth" with DC attempting to cram in 20+ years of continuity into a 5 year timeline. Perhaps even more than that really, since Post-Infinite Crisis DCU was making an effort to re-establish some Pre-Crisis history as well. Never mind story lines/story arcs being altered due to character's either simply not ever having existed in the New52 time line, or being noticeably different than what they were before.