Batman

Started by Edd Grayson, Sun, 13 Jul 2014, 08:28

Previous topic - Next topic
Many fans, myself included, love the Joker's scenes, but I sometimes forget that Batman has some great ones as well.

When the terrified mugger is begging Batman not to kill him at the start, the way Keaton says "I'm not going to kill you. I want you to do me a favor. I want you to tell all your friends about me" and then "I'm Batman" is better than anything Kilmer, Clooney and Bale ever did.

Batman breaking in the museum is excellent  Driving the Batmobile and the Batwing too All of the scenes in the cathedral as well.

That alley fight scene where he gets up and beats the Joker's goons and then has that fight with the ninja is a highlight. I've always liked the scene where he tells Vicki that bats are "great survivors" upon looking upwards in the Batcave.

Off-topic, I remember listening to a fan's commentary saying that the scene where Batman failed to prevent Jack Napier from falling into the chemical vat actually looked ambiguous and he might've let Jack go on purpose.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Some say he even recognised Jack as his parents' killer at that point but I don't really think so.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 13 Jul  2014, 10:10
I've always liked the scene where he tells Vicki that bats are "great survivors" upon looking upwards in the Batcave.
Such a great moment. I like what it says about the character, in terms of his compassion for the weak and their rehabilitation. Also how he takes on the image of a bat and respects the creatures themselves.

I miss the Michael Keaton style of humour in his version of the Batman character. Lines such as "You weigh a little more than 108!", delivered in Michael Keaton's usual cool, deadpan style. That's a line and a tone of voice you cannot give to the Christian Bale Batman who has to remain constantly so super serious he gets a little dull. There was an opportunity there with Keaton to toss in some humourous moments to have some fun with and still maintain his seriousness.

I like the moment where he is hanging upside down training in the middle of the night. Helped by Danny Elfman's gentle score with not a trace of Hans Zimmer bombast thank christ. Some say it makes no sense, why does he need to train like that. Don't care, I find it a fascinating and haunting moment.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sun, 13 Jul  2014, 10:47
Some say he even recognised Jack as his parents' killer at that point but I don't really think so.

That is invariably false, simply for the fact that it would negate the significance of the "pale moonlight" connection Bruce makes in Vicki's apartment. If he already recognized Naiper as his parents' killer back at Axis, why was he shocked all over again when Joker says that poem? Does Batman have amnesia?

Also, after the flashback when he's sure it was Naiper, he's on a crusade to kill him THEN. If he realized Naiper was his parents' killer back at Axis, when he survives as the Joker, why isn't he trying to kill him every chance he gets in Act II?

You're right not to think so, because it's bullplop. He only makes the Wayne Murder connection first in Vicki's apartment (an inkling) and then for sure after his flashback.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Keaton doesn't say one word while driving the batwing yet his facial expression is outstanding the entire time. You really couldn't tell what was going on in the characters head at any moment in his films and that is the way it should be with a deranged 'hero'.

Quote from: riddler on Tue, 15 Jul  2014, 22:39
Keaton doesn't say one word while driving the batwing yet his facial expression is outstanding the entire time. You really couldn't tell what was going on in the characters head at any moment in his films and that is the way it should be with a deranged 'hero'.
I honestly don't know if anyone will ever touch Michael Keaton's Batman. He did so much with a minimalistic approach. It helps if you aren't playing the character, but if you are the character.