Gotham Trailer

Started by BatmAngelus, Tue, 6 May 2014, 00:56

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  7 May  2014, 12:54
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed,  7 May  2014, 11:24

Laughing Fish, you're entitled as anyone else here to post your comments on "Gotham", although if you do ultimately choose not to see any episodes you'd be operating from a less-informed perspective when the show does air.

The problem is if I don't like the idea of what the show is going to be about, and I've further explained why I'm already not looking forward to it especially after what I've seen, then I doubt watching a couple of episodes  is going to make me change my mind. It's just one of those things where it's simply not for me. To each their own.
Well, I was actually sticking up for you and saying you're entitled to keep commenting on this topic.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed,  7 May  2014, 13:24
Well, I was actually sticking up for you and saying you're entitled to keep commenting on this topic.

Oh, sorry about that.  :-[

I appreciate the comment, but I didn't take what Cobblepot said personally, especially since I wasn't planning to visit this part of the forum anyway.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  7 May  2014, 13:36
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed,  7 May  2014, 13:24

Oh, sorry about that.  :-[

I appreciate the comment, but I didn't take what Cobblepot said personally, especially since I wasn't planning to visit this part of the forum anyway.
Maybe it's my bad then.  :)  I guess I misread your discussion with Cobblepot as more heated than it actually was, hence my obvious statement that you're entitled to comment wherever you like regardless of whether you're planning on seeing this show.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Ehhh....

QuoteGotham itself is much more a fascination for me than Batman specifically. When thinking about how to enter the DC world for TV, certainly on network TV, to do shows about superheroes — about people who wear spandex costumes — that doesn't work very well. We want to see people's faces

Quote[...] I would say in terms of what [director and executive producer Danny Cannon and director of photography David Stockton] are doing — visually — Gotham will surpass the Batman movies.

QuoteWell, I will say [actor] David Mazouz is, without doubt, the best actor ever to play the part of Bruce Wayne. Without doubt — including the people who played Batman.

Well, at least the showrunner is confident... ;D

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/08/gotham-interview/

Featurette:

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: phantom stranger on Sat, 10 May  2014, 19:32

Ehhh....

QuoteGotham itself is much more a fascination for me than Batman specifically. When thinking about how to enter the DC world for TV, certainly on network TV, to do shows about superheroes — about people who wear spandex costumes — that doesn't work very well. We want to see people's faces

Quote[...] I would say in terms of what [director and executive producer Danny Cannon and director of photography David Stockton] are doing — visually — Gotham will surpass the Batman movies.

QuoteWell, I will say [actor] David Mazouz is, without doubt, the best actor ever to play the part of Bruce Wayne. Without doubt — including the people who played Batman.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/08/gotham-interview/

This overconfidence is welcome - especially for a show which the trailer and stills make seem like a standard cop show. It gives fans licence to rip it apart if it's anything less than The Wire in Gotham.

Thu, 15 May 2014, 12:42 #16 Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 12:46 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: phantom stranger on Sat, 10 May  2014, 19:32
Obnoxiously so. He's promising a good show but not exactly winning over the fans with his attitude about the past. We'll judge you on the final product, Mr Showrunner. Watch your mouth, because the tables can turn quickly indeed, and we can say equally unsavoury, or worse, things about your efforts.

The creator of the show also said that Gotham will have the Joker, although he didn't say if it will be pre-Joker ala Red Hood or a Jack Napier type, or the actual Joker in makeup.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I'm still interested in this show and I believe it will deliver. Fans seem convinced it will flop and nobody will watch in contrast to the Marvel show. Remember this is Batman we're talking about here. Not your average run of the mill comic book hero. A live action Batman show of any sorts will generate huge amounts of interest publically than a S.H.E.I.L.D show can ever hope to dream of. I'm not bothered at all about such matters.

But that comment about an audience not wanting costumed dudes and wanting to see just ordinary people is very much hairbrained indeed! It's up there with the ridiculousness of Nathan Crowley's comments about "we didn't want Batman flying around in a BAT copter" when describing the genesis of his travesty of a flying ladybug vehicle. Just stupid, stupid, bloody stupid lol

Gee I remember when I was a kid filmmakers actually tried to bring comic characters properly to the screen without such embarrassment. It seems to be a dying art and that needs to be done away with. Always treasure Jim Carrey dancing manically round the Batcave in that skintight green spandex suit with the question marks guys. Because when the Riddler does make it back to the big screen one day that kind of suit, which recalls Frank Gorshin as much as his actual comic book appearance, won't be coming with him. But you obviously didn't need me to spell that out for you.

Thu, 15 May 2014, 22:37 #19 Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 22:40 by Nycteris
Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Thu, 15 May  2014, 17:44
I'm still interested in this show and I believe it will deliver. Fans seem convinced it will flop and nobody will watch in contrast to the Marvel show. Remember this is Batman we're talking about here. Not your average run of the mill comic book hero. A live action Batman show of any sorts will generate huge amounts of interest publically than a S.H.E.I.L.D show can ever hope to dream of. I'm not bothered at all about such matters.

But that comment about an audience not wanting costumed dudes and wanting to see just ordinary people is very much hairbrained indeed! It's up there with the ridiculousness of Nathan Crowley's comments about "we didn't want Batman flying around in a BAT copter" when describing the genesis of his travesty of a flying ladybug vehicle. Just stupid, stupid, bloody stupid lol

Gee I remember when I was a kid filmmakers actually tried to bring comic characters properly to the screen without such embarrassment. It seems to be a dying art and that needs to be done away with. Always treasure Jim Carrey dancing manically round the Batcave in that skintight green spandex suit with the question marks guys. Because when the Riddler does make it back to the big screen one day that kind of suit, which recalls Frank Gorshin as much as his actual comic book appearance, won't be coming with him. But you obviously didn't need me to spell that out for you.

When movie/TV people who are not fans of comics/fantasy/sci-fi take up a property for adaptation, it's not an unusual practice to talk like they are embarassed for doing something in these genres (even in this day and age when someone could think the old stereotypes had fallen).

It's an assumption about Heller, but I can't fathom someone who has genuine love and respect for these things saying "Gotham itself is much more a fascination for me than Batman specifically" and then adding "people who wear spandex costumes — that doesn't work very well. We want to see people's faces"

If it's not Batman's omnipresence (even when he's not on screen, or on the page) the thing that makes this city fascinating, then what is?