Gotham Trailer

Started by BatmAngelus, Tue, 6 May 2014, 00:56

Previous topic - Next topic
Teaser trailer here:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/05/gotham-trailer/

A longer trailer is set to hit later tonight.

Looks like Joe Chill (or at least his TV equivalent) is masked in this version.  This is a change from the usual, but I feel like there could be some thematic advantage- Bruce remembers feeling afraid upon seeing the man in the mask and seeks to strike that same fear into criminals when he dons his own mask in the future.

I wish they at least gave McKenzie glasses to look more Gordon-like.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Apart from the cinematography, nothing here grabs my attention at all. I won't be watching this.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Oh I like this. Very much. It already has that "Sopranos" style going for it. Feels like a Batman movie too. Things got quite exciting at the end there with the "Before..." teaser clips. Didn't expect Poison Ivy! Love the shot of the new Penguin cackling maniacally with his umbrella. That girl playing the young Selina Kyle I could swear is the daughter of Michelle Pfeiffer lol They look so alike.

You guys being negative about it must be mad. We have a new live action Batman tv show here people. In a major anniversary year. What on earth is not to celebrate? This will fill the gap nicely until the next and now postponed Bat movie (as the animated series did before between Returns and Forever when I was young). Sure, it may last only a few seasons. Shows get cancelled left, right and centre these days. That's fine by me. Doesn't mean I cannot have fun with at least two seasons. Aren't you all forgotting just how brief Adam West's era was similarly?

I guess when fans hit puberty they go all cynical, critical and forget to just have fun with it all (which is the purpose at the end of the day of all Bat productions). C'mon guys, reclaim the "innocence of your youth" lol Embrace the thing, get behind it and enjoy the fact it's being made at all. I'm not going to be so snooty in regards to the approach of this show (sod appreciating just the cinematography). Watching something like this will be a blast for me than watching a sh*te ordinary British soap show like Coronation Street for example lol 

First seasons and pilot episodes always come across stiff. And this was no different. The trailer came across hokey and poorly acted. war War WAR. Par for the course for a Fox production. I think Gotham will be very typical of it's kind in that it won't hit a serious creative stride until season 3 or so. Then we'll see what it has to offer. For now they just want to grab as many eyeballs as possible. As a Batman mark, I've already purchased the blu ray in my head a dozen times. So...what was my point again...

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Tue,  6 May  2014, 11:59

You guys being negative about it must be mad. We have a new live action Batman tv show here people. In a major anniversary year. What on earth is not to celebrate? This will fill the gap nicely until the next and now postponed Bat movie (as the animated series did before between Returns and Forever when I was young). Sure, it may last only a few seasons. Shows get cancelled left, right and centre these days. That's fine by me. Doesn't mean I cannot have fun with at least two seasons. Aren't you all forgotting just how brief Adam West's era was similarly?

I guess when fans hit puberty they go all cynical, critical and forget to just have fun with it all (which is the purpose at the end of the day of all Bat productions). C'mon guys, reclaim the "innocence of your youth" lol Embrace the thing, get behind it and enjoy the fact it's being made at all. I'm not going to be so snooty in regards to the approach of this show (sod appreciating just the cinematography). Watching something like this will be a blast for me than watching a sh*te ordinary British soap show like Coronation Street for example lol

That's the problem though, this isn't a Batman TV show, it's a regular cop show set in Gotham City that stars Gordon.

Mate, if you're looking forward to this show then good for you, but I think it's a little uncalled for to have a go at people who aren't impressed with it. It's not a question of being cynical, "hitting purberty" or reclaiming "innocence of youth", it's quite simply that the concept to this show just isn't appealing at all, at least not to me. This whole before-superhero thing was the main reason I never gave Smallville a chance, but at least that show focused on Clark Kent as the main character and it was about his journey into becoming Superman. But in this show, Gordon is the main character and it takes place long before Bruce Wayne and all these other characters become who they are. Call me crazy, but I really don't care for any of that. I have no interest in watching a show about teenage versions of Catwoman, Riddler or Bruce Wayne - especially if long portions of this show continues to show Bruce mourning for his parents (not poking fun at the tragedy, but I can imagine that it can get tiresome after a while).

If I want to watch a real cop drama that doesn't feature any costumed freaks then I have good stuff like The Shield, NYPD Blue, Southland and Law & Order to look forward to. And if I want to watch a crime drama, then I'll tune in to watch The Sopranos. There's nothing in these previews I've seen so far that makes this show look even competent compared to the ones I've mentioned. By the way, the remark about the cinematography was my way of trying to find something positive about this show; otherwise I could always be a rabid fanboy and say everything about it sucks. ;)
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  7 May  2014, 00:00
Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Tue,  6 May  2014, 11:59

That's the problem though, this isn't a Batman TV show, it's a regular cop show set in Gotham City that stars Gordon.

Mate, if you're looking forward to this show then good for you, but I think it's a little uncalled for to have a go at people who aren't impressed with it. It's not a question of being cynical, "hitting purberty" or reclaiming "innocence of youth", it's quite simply that the concept to this show just isn't appealing at all, at least not to me. This whole before-superhero thing was the main reason I never gave Smallville a chance, but at least that show focused on Clark Kent as the main character and it was about his journey into becoming Superman. But in this show, Gordon is the main character and it takes place long before Bruce Wayne and all these other characters become who they are. Call me crazy, but I really don't care for any of that. I have no interest in watching a show about teenage versions of Catwoman, Riddler or Bruce Wayne - especially if long portions of this show continues to show Bruce mourning for his parents (not poking fun at the tragedy, but I can imagine that it can get tiresome after a while).

If I want to watch a real cop drama that doesn't feature any costumed freaks then I have good stuff like The Shield, NYPD Blue, Southland and Law & Order to look forward to. And if I want to watch a crime drama, then I'll tune in to watch The Sopranos. There's nothing in these previews I've seen so far that makes this show look even competent compared to the ones I've mentioned. By the way, the remark about the cinematography was my way of trying to find something positive about this show; otherwise I could always be a rabid fanboy and say everything about it sucks. ;)

I'm afraid you have mistook my intent in the above quote. Nobody was "having a go" at anyone. My comments were made, to quote comedian Kenny Everett, in "the best possible taste". I meant them as humourous and friendly remarks to one's negative complaints. This seems to happen a lot with me in regards to my personal humour on here. Sorry but I loathe having to type endless "LOL's" to clarify my tone. I find it tedious.

Anyway, peace. In future don't waste your time writing up about a show you despise already and go and watch those wonderful cop shows you mentioned while I embrace the delights to behold in "Gotham"  ;)

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Wed,  7 May  2014, 01:42

Anyway, peace. In future don't waste your time writing up about a show you despise already and go and watch those wonderful cop shows you mentioned while I embrace the delights to behold in "Gotham"  ;)

Oh believe me, I wasn't even planning to keep wasting my time in these threads anyway, I barely post anything Gotham-related after all. I don't even actually despise it, I just don't care for the show's concept and the previews just convinced me that it wouldn't be for me. Whatever, I hope you find the show worth your time.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  7 May  2014, 01:49
Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Wed,  7 May  2014, 01:42

Oh believe me, I wasn't even planning to keep wasting my time in these threads anyway, I barely post anything Gotham-related after all. I don't even actually despise it, I just don't care for the show's concept and the previews just convinced me that it wouldn't be for me. Whatever, I hope you find the show worth your time.
Laughing Fish, you're entitled as anyone else here to post your comments on "Gotham", although if you do ultimately choose not to see any episodes you'd be operating from a less-informed perspective when the show does air.

Personally, I think "Gotham" has a promising concept and the trailer, although fairly generic, still gives me hope that this show will be worth giving a chance.  There's nothing in the trailer that gives me any strong concerns that this will be bad.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed,  7 May  2014, 11:24

Laughing Fish, you're entitled as anyone else here to post your comments on "Gotham", although if you do ultimately choose not to see any episodes you'd be operating from a less-informed perspective when the show does air.

The problem is if I don't like the idea of what the show is going to be about, and I've further explained why I'm already not looking forward to it especially after what I've seen, then I doubt watching a couple of episodes  is going to make me change my mind. It's just one of those things where it's simply not for me. To each their own.