Komics-Live RIP

Started by thecolorsblend, Thu, 10 Jun 2021, 04:33

Previous topic - Next topic
I've been unable to reach Komics-Live (komics-live.com) for the past few days. At this point, I guess it's safe to say the site is gone and it's never coming back.

It's hard to think of a worse indictment of the comic book industry in 2021 than the death of a website that many people used for the express purpose of pirating comics. When even the illegal market can't survive anymore because of reader apathy, that's when you know you've lost.

I tumbled onto Komics-Live probably around 2006 or 2007. Around there. At that time, fans gave a damn about comic books. There was discussion, speculation, arguments (because it's comic fans on the Internet) and, yes, links to illicit downloads.

For the record (and this is not CYA), I only downloaded stuff for which I owned paper copies. I am not a thief and I will not take something for nothing. I buy it fairly or I skip it. Period. And so, Komics-Live was pretty handy for finding digital backups of stuff. And let's not ignore the obvious, some of the discussions could get pretty fun.

But then the malaise set in. Komics-Live basically became largely inactive a few years ago. Fans finally had enough, I guess. Some hardliners tried to keep the discussions going. But it was pretty obvious that nobody's heart was in it anymore. It comes down to left wing politics, like everything else. Fans were either tired of being subjected to it or else they were tired of listening to others being tired of being subjected to it. Even the people who were probably friendly to left wing politics were sick to death of talking about it.

For me, what rly tells the tale is how relatively inactive the download section became. People just stopped scanning and posting links for downloading new comics. Or old comics. Or any comics at all. Why bother, right? This thing will either get rebooted or retconned in two years anyway. Forget about it.

Like I say, this was the dark, shady section of Komics-Live. It was a place for honest people like me to obtain backups of stuff we bought legitimately. By that same token, it was also a place for dishonest people to get a lot of free stuff.

But after a while, even unscrupulous people just stopped seeing the value proposition in comics anymore.

Guys, when your industry isn't attracting thieves anymore (esp thieves facing literally zero consequences for ripping you off), you're in deep trouble. The fact that the illegal stuff died out years ago is not a good sign, believe it or not. The fact that Komics-Live itself is now toast is an even worse sign.

Possibly worst of all is that Komics-Live has been gone for a few days now but, as far as I can tell, I'm the only person reacting to it anywhere online. The premiere comic book download site is gone and, apparently, no one besides me cares.

Anybody who thinks the comic book industry is facing a shiny, happy future is living in a dream world.

They destroy everything they get their hands on.

Every-single-thing

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 10 Jun  2021, 04:33
It's hard to think of a worse indictment of the comic book industry in 2021 than the death of a website that many people used for the express purpose of pirating comics. When even the illegal market can't survive anymore because of reader apathy, that's when you know you've lost.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 10 Jun  2021, 04:33
But then the malaise set in. Komics-Live basically became largely inactive a few years ago. Fans finally had enough, I guess. Some hardliners tried to keep the discussions going. But it was pretty obvious that nobody's heart was in it anymore. It comes down to left wing politics, like everything else. Fans were either tired of being subjected to it or else they were tired of listening to others being tired of being subjected to it. Even the people who were probably friendly to left wing politics were sick to death of talking about it.
I like comics, but my real passion is the written word. I've read a ton of books the past couple of years and enjoyed them all. I research everything I read before making a purchase, ensuring the themes and protagonists are to my liking. As a rule, I generally stick to the 1880s. The 50s and 60s are the most modern I'll get, apart from the occasional American Psycho. The past is my sanctuary and I really love the idea these old works have effectively always been there, even when I've been oblivious to them. Patiently waiting in silence all these years, perfectly preserved. Well before The Titanic sank or any World War.

The mark of any good book or movie is if you feel like making one yourself. You have to feel that spark, and I don't think it's being felt as often now, as your posts above explain. Movies have always been part entertainment, part brainwashing. But now the brainwashing part is the dominant element. The book or movie has become incidental. The bar for something to be enjoyable has been set really low now: how much left wing politics will feature, because it will feature in some way, and if it's tolerable.

I am of my era and can't be anything other than that, so I'm still considering writing a book myself. Even just for enjoyment. I'd be finding inspiration from the trailblazers of the past. They're what get me excited.