Romancing the Stone - Danny Devito mentions Batman

Started by Bobthegoon89, Tue, 25 Sep 2012, 18:50

Previous topic - Next topic
Just a fun little fact. In Robert Zemeckis' 1984 movie Romancing the Stone there is a small moment in which Danny Devito actually mentions Batman in a joke. This all takes place inside a cave. Kind of a strange moment to hear him say it considering what he later became a full 8 years later lol Destiny perhaps?

Further foreshadowing of the future occurs in The Lost Boys directed by Joel Schumacher where Sam Emerson gets into a debate with the Frog Brothers about certain Batman issues in their comic store.

If we're talking foreshadowing, check out the scene in Touch and Go (1986) where Michael Keaton chases a criminal through a comic book store. At one point you can see a Batman comic in the foreground.

The issue in question happens to be Detective Comics #448 (how sad is it that I know that?).

The plot of this issue sees Batman fighting a gang of criminal circus performers and trying to clear his name after he's framed for murder. Sound like the plot of another Michael Keaton film?

Brilliant SN. That little bit of trivia would be good enough for a feature on its own! :)

Tue, 2 Oct 2012, 23:07 #3 Last Edit: Tue, 2 Oct 2012, 23:22 by SilentEnigma
Yeah, great stuff.

I have vivid memories of a movie opening with Jack Palance reading a vintage Batman comic, laughing his a$$ off. I was little, it was on TV, can't remember title or anything. I think Palance looked similar to his Grissom self i.e. the film was probably made in the late 80s or early 90s.

Wow ive never heard of either of those before, thats awesome!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

In terms of "foreshadowing" again the bat ears Michael Keaton has on his hat in Burton's "Beetlejuice" (the "It's Showtime!" moment) were meant as a deliberatel nod to the then forthcoming Bat project they would soon be working on.