The Controversy

Started by Bobthegoon89, Mon, 13 Aug 2012, 18:00

Previous topic - Next topic
I can't recall any backlash in my house hold. My dad was a big Batman fan, and ao I supposed he just enjoyed it as much as I did. Hell even used to get all excited to sit down with me and watch the B: TAS! He actually went out and hunted down all the McDonalds cups, toys and even the Catwoman figure. My 6th birthday was very much Batman Returns themed. I can't exactly say Catwoman because alot of her stuff was pink...and my dad, especially moreso back then, was very much a small minded person. BOYS DON'T DO PINK, that whole thing. He did get me 1, and only 1 Catwoman folder for when i went back to school. But eveything else was Batman or Penguin. But thanks to ebay, I've aquired more Catwoman merchansdise from this movie than I ever thought existed. (If you are curious, look up my "Purrfect Collection" thred under the merchandise section

Heres some pics of some of the McDonalds tie ins

Heres a few videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SitvCATrkoo&feature=colike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWK1HC8PjUw&feature=colike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoQU9si6PUc&feature=BFa&list=PLE2D3A8BBF0ED4302
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1qy7jIKtfY&feature=BFa&list=PLE2D3A8BBF0ED4302
"I don't know about youy Miss Kitty, but I feel...soo much yummier!"

As a blanket statement, let me just say well done, sir. Loved every comma of this post.

Silver Nemesis gets it! :)

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 17 Aug  2012, 23:25It's not hard to imagine similar "promotion and response" teams being set up to rally support for Nolan's Batman trilogy.
Given how poorly regarded Batman as a film franchise was back in those days (fun fact of the day: there was a point when Batman movies were almost as big a joke on the Internet as Star Wars has become), I don't doubt it. Not quite from this angle but I've experienced it with the Superman franchise. Of course, it seriously backfired there but you get the idea.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 17 Aug  2012, 23:25Especially when you consider that The Dark Knight had arguable the most sophisticated and successful viral marketing campaign in the history of film advertising. I don't mean to suggest that all the rabid fan boys are studio plants. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more belligerent fans – the ones who persist in muddying the waters and who are incapable of expressing their love for one film series without trashing another – were linked with the marketing campaign, if only in an amateur capacity. Or they could just be the "sad, mentally unhygienic" people Faraci describes.
I'm biting my tongue here but I can think of one prominent personality in fandom that the above could be applied to. Fits him/her to a "T", actually.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 17 Aug  2012, 23:252) The users on this site know their stuff. Everyone here seems to have a particular area of interest/expertise relating to the franchise, and collectively I think we're one of the most well informed fan communities on the web. IMDb users are easy prey because most of them are only familiar with the movies. But if a troll came here touting their comic "expertise" then he or she would be walking into the lion's den.
I think the starting point in these kinds of things has to be a recognition of Batman's adaptability. I find the more aware someone is of Batman's history and versatility, the more likely they are to have a more reasoned (and reasonable) attitude about different incarnations.

B89, Adam West and The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told were my introduction to the character so from day one Batman has never been just one thing to me. But there is a very weird and very unwelcome exclusivistic view among some fans that says "Batman can only be THIS", which both ignores history and overlooks the character's versatility (the primary reason for his longevity in my opinion).

Lest I be accused of being tolerant, kind, open-minded and ecumenical, let me hasten to point out that hipster fans piss me right off. Not a one of them had ever read or knew much about BY1 before that damn animated movie came out. They own posters, figures, t-shirts and other junk but have read exactly jacknothing. But when stuff like that gets adapted into a movie, suddenly they're huge fans of and huge experts about whatever it is.

A year ago, they wouldn't have known or cared who the hell Sarah Essen is. After the BY1 DVD came out though, suddenly they were huge fans of her and don't understand why she didn't stick around in the comics (although I guess they'll stop wondering that after they finish the No Man's Land trades, thanks to TDKRises).

To tie it all back, the fans who aren't studio plants and troll web forums causing trouble and picking fights generally fall into the above hipster category.

Some would call my attitude geek elitism, and I can't argue that. I guess I just resent some punk kid trying to dictate to me "the way things ought to be". I was reading and collecting all these comics when he was getting ready to swim through a hole in somebody's condom. It's insulting.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 18 Aug  2012, 08:16

B89, Adam West and The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told were my introduction to the character so from day one Batman has never been just one thing to me. But there is a very weird and very unwelcome exclusivistic view among some fans that says "Batman can only be THIS", which both ignores history and overlooks the character's versatility (the primary reason for his longevity in my opinion).

Lest I be accused of being tolerant, kind, open-minded and ecumenical, let me hasten to point out that hipster fans piss me right off. Not a one of them had ever read or knew much about BY1 before that damn animated movie came out. They own posters, figures, t-shirts and other junk but have read exactly jacknothing. But when stuff like that gets adapted into a movie, suddenly they're huge fans of and huge experts about whatever it is.

A year ago, they wouldn't have known or cared who the hell Sarah Essen is. After the BY1 DVD came out though, suddenly they were huge fans of her and don't understand why she didn't stick around in the comics (although I guess they'll stop wondering that after they finish the No Man's Land trades, thanks to TDKRises).

To tie it all back, the fans who aren't studio plants and troll web forums causing trouble and picking fights generally fall into the above hipster category.

Some would call my attitude geek elitism, and I can't argue that. I guess I just resent some punk kid trying to dictate to me "the way things ought to be". I was reading and collecting all these comics when he was getting ready to swim through a hole in somebody's condom. It's insulting.

I completely agree with you! I know plenty of people my age (in their mid-late 20s) who are those "hipster fans." The live by Nolan's Batman and while most of them might have seen Burtons, they are almost turned off by it! It's all about "whats wrong" with the movies. As for me, I love both B89 & BR more than all 3 of Nolan's movies. I personally prefer, but not to exclusive to Burtons movies. For me, they were just my first real exposure, and had such an impact on me, that the lasting effect has last 20 years and is still going strong.

The again, my opinion may a tad bit bias since I have a fondness for things dark & twisted. Batman is a DARK HERO, so I feel Burton 'purrfectly' captured that in his movies. I actually got into a debate few weeks ago at a bbq over the differance between all 3 Batman Sagas. I say 3 because BF & B&R really are their own set when you look at them from a visual perspective. I stood by my love for Burtons movies, as people tried to convince me Nolan had hit everything on the nail with his. I then asked if anyone had actually read a Batman comic...and no one really gave a straight answer. My point was is that Batman is like any comic character, always evolving. And since DC has had several rebooted versions of the character, I think every director has hit the nail on the head, just depends on which era you look at. Nolan's is simply just the Batman of the early 21st Century.

Quote from: Kyle Grey on Sun, 19 Aug  2012, 02:58

I completely agree with you! I know plenty of people my age (in their mid-late 20s) who are those "hipster fans." The live by Nolan's Batman and while most of them might have seen Burtons, they are almost turned off by it! It's all about "whats wrong" with the movies. As for me, I love both B89 & BR more than all 3 of Nolan's movies. I personally prefer, but not to exclusive to Burtons movies. For me, they were just my first real exposure, and had such an impact on me, that the lasting effect has last 20 years and is still going strong.

The again, my opinion may a tad bit bias since I have a fondness for things dark & twisted. Batman is a DARK HERO, so I feel Burton 'purrfectly' captured that in his movies. I actually got into a debate few weeks ago at a bbq over the differance between all 3 Batman Sagas. I say 3 because BF & B&R really are their own set when you look at them from a visual perspective. I stood by my love for Burtons movies, as people tried to convince me Nolan had hit everything on the nail with his. I then asked if anyone had actually read a Batman comic...and no one really gave a straight answer. My point was is that Batman is like any comic character, always evolving. And since DC has had several rebooted versions of the character, I think every director has hit the nail on the head, just depends on which era you look at. Nolan's is simply just the Batman of the early 21st Century.

Really all 3 sets of movies seemed like just what the doctor ordered at the time;
Prior to Burton everyone thought of Batman as the goofy day cop who slides down a poll, Kane wanted a much more darker image presented and Burton gave us that
The general consensus was Burton's Batman Returns was a shade too dark, Schumachers first film gave us a lighter one
Everyone hated Batman and Robin for being to kiddy. I'm sure when everyone first saw Begins in 2005, the grittiness was refreshing (and then the internet war started)
Nolanites aside, the general consensus from the dark knight rises is too gritty and not enough fun. Another way to put it is "not enough Burtonesque"

I really don't think it matters what a bunch of deranged new fans think and advocate online. They like to call us child's of the 90's "old timers". That is so irritating and immature. One even argued to me that todays Batman movies are not made for "me" because I am not part of this "generation" LOL

Batman movies are not made simply for the comic fans. It's as simple as that. Casual filmgoers do not waste their lives on forums arguing. Only us fans who have a deeper passion do that kind of thing. And you get nice or bad fans. I recently attended Batman Live here in the UK, a version more in common with Schumacher's movies than Nolan's. A lot of the audience were not comic fans just families out for a great evening. And those fans who wear there came dressed as Devito's Penguin AND Ledger's Joker. A nice mixture. It made no difference to any of them if the show was different to Nolan's or not. There was an excitement in the air because we were all going to watch "Batman", yay! LOL

The general public still love Batman in all his forms whether campy, dark or realistic. I watch the tv Batman every week day on UK television and the announcers (who clearly prefer darker Batman's) still introduce it with a level of excitement. That's all the firepower we need folks.

Quote from: riddler on Sun, 19 Aug  2012, 15:44

Really all 3 sets of movies seemed like just what the doctor ordered at the time;
Prior to Burton everyone thought of Batman as the goofy day cop who slides down a poll, Kane wanted a much more darker image presented and Burton gave us that
The general consensus was Burton's Batman Returns was a shade too dark, Schumachers first film gave us a lighter one
Everyone hated Batman and Robin for being to kiddy. I'm sure when everyone first saw Begins in 2005, the grittiness was refreshing (and then the internet war started)
Nolanites aside, the general consensus from the dark knight rises is too gritty and not enough fun. Another way to put it is "not enough Burtonesque"

It's funny because tho Begins is a terrific film and I loved every minute of it I really don't think it set the world alight with excitement people claim. It certainly was not on the scale of the original Burton Batman which took over the planet that summer. I think in the long run the original Batman left a deeper groove in the minds of people than Begins.

I agree. I think there is plenty wrong with Nolan's films. My big issue with the realism is it takes the fun out of Batman which whatever way you look at it is a unique concept. Imagine Penguin in Nolan's films. Had he appeared I believe his monocle would be gone. His cigarrete holder would be gone. His gadget laden umbrellas would be dispensed. There would certainly be no army of mind controlled penguins. Instead there would likely be an army of mercenaries with machine guns. All those prior things make the Penguin the Penguin. Same with the Joker. How many comics have you seen where he uses smylex gas? Electric hand buzzers? Boxing glove launchers? e.c.t. Yet in The Dark Knight it's all just knives, gassoline and shotguns.

All this stuff creates a bigger threat but the fun stuff is absent that is wholly unique to Batman's world.

I still think the "truer" version to Batman is the animated series by Bruce Timm. Because it had it all in one big melting pot. Realistic violence, fun comic visuals, colourful and believable villains, dark Burtonesque tone, serious believable stories and spectacular voice acting worthy of Nolan.

As a blanket statement, let me just say well done, sir. Loved every comma of this post.

Silver Nemesis gets it! :)

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 17 Aug  2012, 23:25It's not hard to imagine similar "promotion and response" teams being set up to rally support for Nolan's Batman trilogy.
Given how poorly regarded Batman as a film franchise was back in those days (fun fact of the day: there was a point when Batman movies were almost as big a joke on the Internet as Star Wars has become), I don't doubt it. Not quite from this angle but I've experienced it with the Superman franchise. Of course, it seriously backfired there but you get the idea.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 17 Aug  2012, 23:25Especially when you consider that The Dark Knight had arguable the most sophisticated and successful viral marketing campaign in the history of film advertising. I don't mean to suggest that all the rabid fan boys are studio plants. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more belligerent fans – the ones who persist in muddying the waters and who are incapable of expressing their love for one film series without trashing another – were linked with the marketing campaign, if only in an amateur capacity. Or they could just be the "sad, mentally unhygienic" people Faraci describes.
I'm biting my tongue here but I can think of one prominent personality in fandom that the above could be applied to. Fits him/her to a "T", actually.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 17 Aug  2012, 23:252) The users on this site know their stuff. Everyone here seems to have a particular area of interest/expertise relating to the franchise, and collectively I think we're one of the most well informed fan communities on the web. IMDb users are easy prey because most of them are only familiar with the movies. But if a troll came here touting their comic "expertise" then he or she would be walking into the lion's den.
I think the starting point in these kinds of things has to be a recognition of Batman's adaptability. I find the more aware someone is of Batman's history and versatility, the more likely they are to have a more reasoned (and reasonable) attitude about different incarnations.

I like to read DC archival editions of the 40's and 50's Batman comics. Their not everybody's cup of tea but I enjoy looking back and seeing how things were done and having a laugh with them. I was born in 1988 but I enjoy them because it's like reading the Adam West tv show! I can almost hear the narrator (William Dozier) describing the panels: "Meanwhile back in the secret Batcave...". And then you read the silly backlash to West's show. I'm thinking that's ludicrous. They were merely copying the tone of those books when they were still being viewed as kiddies fluff.

Those early comics are enourmously important in my opinion. I know fans think their garbage and possibly bother to never read em. But they kept Batman going through a tougher time of Dr Fredrick Werthram (remember him? lol) and a decreasing popularity in super heroes during the 50's after the war. And their visual style is a huge influence on later animated series and even some Burton films.

Quote from: Kyle Grey on Sat, 18 Aug  2012, 06:21
I can't recall any backlash in my house hold. My dad was a big Batman fan, and ao I supposed he just enjoyed it as much as I did. Hell even used to get all excited to sit down with me and watch the B: TAS! He actually went out and hunted down all the McDonalds cups, toys and even the Catwoman figure. My 6th birthday was very much Batman Returns themed. I can't exactly say Catwoman because alot of her stuff was pink...and my dad, especially moreso back then, was very much a small minded person. BOYS DON'T DO PINK, that whole thing. He did get me 1, and only 1 Catwoman folder for when i went back to school. But eveything else was Batman or Penguin. But thanks to ebay, I've aquired more Catwoman merchansdise from this movie than I ever thought existed. (If you are curious, look up my "Purrfect Collection" thred under the merchandise section

Heres some pics of some of the McDonalds tie ins

Heres a few videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SitvCATrkoo&feature=colike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWK1HC8PjUw&feature=colike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoQU9si6PUc&feature=BFa&list=PLE2D3A8BBF0ED4302
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1qy7jIKtfY&feature=BFa&list=PLE2D3A8BBF0ED4302

What a great Catwoman image! Y'know those things cost a small fortune on ebay now. I don't think these Mcdonalds posters appeared in UK restaurants. Can't recall them. I certainly remember the black chips/fries holders lol

Yeah Christmas morning 92 was a Batman Returns Christmas for me too friend lol I got the Wayne Manor/Batcave compound playset and the VHS of the film. That white Bat logo was everywhere that morning. One thing I'm looking for there was this candy machine, kinda of like a vault based on the film I also got. You put something in, a coin? Something to get the candy out. Been looking on ebay for it but nobody anywhere seems to have one.

Quote from: riddler on Sun, 19 Aug  2012, 15:44

I agree with. Although as I mentioned, I love the darkness of BR. :-)

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sun, 19 Aug  2012, 16:11

I agree. I think there is plenty wrong with Nolan's films. My big issue with the realism is it takes the fun out of Batman which whatever way you look at it is a unique concept. Imagine Penguin in Nolan's films. Had he appeared I believe his monocle would be gone. His cigarrete holder would be gone. His gadget laden umbrellas would be dispensed. There would certainly be no army of mind controlled penguins. Instead there would likely be an army of mercenaries with machine guns. All those prior things make the Penguin the Penguin. Same with the Joker. How many comics have you seen where he uses smylex gas? Electric hand buzzers? Boxing glove launchers? e.c.t. Yet in The Dark Knight it's all just knives, gassoline and shotguns.

All this stuff creates a bigger threat but the fun stuff is absent that is wholly unique to Batman's world.

I still think the "truer" version to Batman is the animated series by Bruce Timm. Because it had it all in one big melting pot. Realistic violence, fun comic visuals, colourful and believable villains, dark Burtonesque tone, serious believable stories and spectacular voice acting worthy of Nolan.

See that's how I feel! I understand wanting to "ground" heroes these and making them real, but there IS a line which divides reality & fantasy. And if your a smart director, you'll know how close you can get to reality, without taking out too much of the fantasy aspect. Burton I feel kept a good balance of that. It' all made sense. That's why Pfeiffer's Catwoman looked the way she did. Ok so it was supposed to be hand stitched vinyl, which in relaity was rubber drenched in silicone to give the shine, but you actually believed she made that. THAT'S what I loved about it. He was able to take fantasy and bring it out of the comics, but no flatten in on the ground. DKR is a bit 'too' grounded. after seeing it a few times now, i honestly think TDK is the best out of all the recent Batman movies. And ofcourse, B:TAS is just a epic classic. I don't know if another Animated Comic series will ever live up to it. Although, the X-Men cartoon comes close (despite its animation flaws), but still not as great as B:TAS.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sun, 19 Aug  2012, 15:57

It's funny because tho Begins is a terrific film and I loved every minute of it I really don't think it set the world alight with excitement people claim. It certainly was not on the scale of the original Burton Batman which took over the planet that summer. I think in the long run the original Batman left a deeper groove in the minds of people than Begins.

I will say that BB IS a great film. It's not too long where as i felt TDK dragged a tad bit, and DKR certainly did especially during Act 2. I think after B&R, BB was a great refreshing re-introduction as to WHY we love Batman and got back to the core of the character. Exactly what Burton did. And like you said, Batman OWNED the summer of 89, and 92 might i add. I think the impact in 92, while not as strong when it hit, was actually more lasting thanks the B:TAS. It prolonged the power of the character. At least that's how I see it. Batman was EVERYWHERE in 92!!! As Nicholson mentioned in Special Edition interviews, the studios were not prepared for the level of success of  B89. Which is understandable, and explains why they went all out for BR! I suppose they figured they had this in the bag. Which they did, but when the "cat was out of the bag" so to speak, it wasn't what was expected-- hence the 'controversy'. 

The impact of Nolans movies I don't believe are as strong as what Burton did over 20 years ago. Yes it gives a new generation a chance to experience Batman, but I feel that's due to the plethora of comic book movies we have these days. It's spoiled really. I just hope that when (cuz we know WB will) there is another Batman it's something really special.