Daredevil (2003) Comic Influences

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 17:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Affleck may have had some distaste for his Daredevil experience, but think again if you have any doubts about how he felt playing Batman. He had expressed his fondness for making BvS, went on record to support Snyder's vision of Justice League and expressed his gratitude to the fans for demanding that film's release.

Affleck had his own problems, but don't underestimate how toxic WB was at the time when they reshot JL into Josstice League. In fact, he said somebody told him his Batman film script was good, but he'd risk himself drinking to death if he'd go through a Josstice scenario again.

I heartily agree with you. He's always come off more like a frat boy than an actor, which I guess is how he wants to present himself to the public. 

I disagree, at least as far as acting is concerned. Argo, The Town and Gone Girl alone showed he came a long way. And from what I've heard he was excellent in The Way Back.

I feel like in a couple of years, he's really gonna sink further into depression over his life choices that have lead him to where he is now.

I don't think so. From what I've seen, he's looks much healthier than he did in the last couple of years.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 17 Jun  2020, 19:35I really need to re-visit that film.
I've seen it twice. Once in theaters and once about seven or so years ago. It holds up on the second viewing. A movie like that was made for love of the game. Everybody involved knew they were making a high quality money-loser. Movies like this are gold.

Quote from: Kamdan on Thu, 18 Jun  2020, 00:59
He visibly gets frustrated when something is not going his way when he thinks it should be and he likes to be on the side of the majority rather than the minority.
From Affleck's POV I'm going to assume he really didn't enjoy the response BvS received. It was pretty rough, mixed in with the prior perception Daredevil was a bomb. The whole "here we go again" vibe. He did JL, but with the reshoots he was then forced to give a performance didn't want to give. I think he didn't want to persist with a chore that ends up getting savaged by the mainstream anyway. The alcohol risk is bandied about, and while I'm sure it's genuine, I don't think that factored in as heavily as people believe.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 18 Jun  2020, 02:09
I've seen it twice. Once in theaters and once about seven or so years ago. It holds up on the second viewing. A movie like that was made for love of the game. Everybody involved knew they were making a high quality money-loser. Movies like this are gold.

Hollywoodland...how could I forget about that film? That was probably the first time I saw Affleck as a true actor. He portrayed the sadness of George Reeves so well.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 18 Jun  2020, 01:38
Affleck may have had some distaste for his Daredevil experience, but think again if you have any doubts about how he felt playing Batman. He had expressed his fondness for making BvS, went on record to support Snyder's vision of Justice League and expressed his gratitude to the fans for demanding that film's release.
Maybe I'm wrong. But I think Affleck enjoyed with working with Snyder. But in the Whedon scenes of JL, he had let himself go a little bit. I'm being polite. I think his affection was for Snyder's vision. When that was destroyed, I think he checked out.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 18 Jun  2020, 03:52
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 18 Jun  2020, 01:38
Maybe I'm wrong. But I think Affleck enjoyed with working with Snyder. But in the Whedon scenes of JL, he had let himself go a little bit. I'm being polite. I think his affection was for Snyder's vision. When that was destroyed, I think he checked out.

Exactly.

Snyder did say that Affleck had a lot of enthusiasm on the set, and was excited for the original slate of the DCEU. After everything we know now, you can't begrudge him for stepping down.

Besides, Affleck could've kept quiet about the whole social media campaign that occurred last November. But he tweeted the RTSC hashtag and expressed his support instead.

Quote from: Ben Affleck
I didn't know about it. Zack was like, 'Hey, they are doing this thing.' And I said, 'Zack, I love you, and I support you. However I can help you.' I do think that movie, you know, having two directors is a very weird thing. And for Justice League, the director had a family tragedy...and so you have a kind of cow's body with a horse's head a little bit with two directors a lot of times, for better or for worse. I do think Zack's cut should be available.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2490644/ben-affleck-says-zack-snyders-justice-league-cut-should-be-available

Those are strong indicators that he had some affection of what the DCEU was doing. And Snyder was well, of course.

Thankfully, we will see him as Batman again as he was intended in ZSJL.

Wed, 25 Aug 2021, 21:14 #16 Last Edit: Fri, 27 Aug 2021, 01:21 by The Joker
A very good video going over the history of Ol' Hornhead in Hollywood.

A history of Daredevil movie projects that never made it to the screen.

Intro - 00:00
Marvel's Bankruptcy / Licensing - 00:12
Daredevil's 1964 Debut - 03:00
The Man Without Fear - 04:04
Chris Columbus' Daredevil - 05:18
Script Summary - 06:46
J.M Matteis Treatment - 21:20
Daredevil 2003 Movie - 23:35
David Slade's Daredevil - 26:00
Joe Carnahan's Daredevil Trilogy - 28:23
Marvel Daredevil TV Show - 29:56

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

The Chris Columbus treatment sounds incredibly ambitious. He was trying to adapt most of the same storylines from the comics as Mark Steven Johnson, plus Born Again. Columbus has been instrumental in helping launch several major movie franchises over the years, including Gremlins, Home Alone and Harry Potter, and I'd have been intrigued to see if he could've achieved a similarly successful launch for Daredevil.

The Joe Carnahan pitch has always struck me as promising. I feel like the spirit of his version, with its violent adult tone and gritty throwbacks to seventies crime cinema, effectively carried over into the Netflix show.

Ultimately I don't think any of these feature film projects would have reached the brilliance of the TV show, but some of them certainly had potential.

Yeah, the proposed Chris Columbus film just might have been something great, but the take that Joe Carnahan had really peaked my interest some years back. I still remember that sizzle reel trailer that was released, and the potential was most assuredly there, but unfortunately we'll never know.

Having a trilogy of Daredevil films that are period pieces spanning from the 1970s era to the 1980's, with music of the day being highlighted upon, really could have elevated each film to something really special. Martin Scorsese has proven this time and time again, with his choice of music and in how he implements it into various scenes. Or just look in how it's used in Richard Linklater's "Dazed and Confused", or Paul Thomas Anderson's "Boogie Nights" (which was outstanding) just to name a few. Can't really say if I would have traded Carnahan's trilogy for the Netflix series (as some director's tend to want to implement an over-the-top directing style ad nauseum when using music), but it's very possible due to in how I personally tend to gravitate and re-watch movies rather than various seasons of a show. Though of course this definitely isn't absolute by any stretch. Just generally speaking of course.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Just for fun.

Wizard Magazine fan casting time capsule 1996: