Spider-Man 3 (2007) Comic Influences

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 27 Mar 2020, 16:37

Previous topic - Next topic
That scene of Peter opening the footlocker was a standout moment. If you look close, you can see the symbiote breathing, which never happened before that point in the movie. The suit is darkening Peter while Peter is giving the suit life. It's a symbiote so that makes a lot of sense. You also get a clearer sense of the drug metaphor in the new cut. The suit allows Peter to do things he wants to do but which his conscience wouldn't allow. Such as, trying to kill Harry.

To anybody who enjoys Spider-Man 3, I heartily recommend the Editor's Cut. This is one of the few cases where both cuts of a given film are equally high quality overall.

Just to give an idea of how nitpicky I am, apart from Fellowship, I can take or leave the extended cuts of the LOTR films. So this is high praise indeed.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  5 Apr  2020, 15:32
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  1 Apr  2020, 04:00The Raimi series took the approach that I admire so much with Dean Cain's incarnation of Superman - focusing on the man behind the myth and unabashedly capturing his heart and soul. When I think of Spider-Man I think of the struggle of being a hero, and quirky charm - we received both in spades.

I like the comparison with Cain's Superman. Super-Cain and Spider-Maguire are two of the most likeable, sympathetic and kind-hearted superheroes ever depicted in live action. They're the kind of guys you'd like to be friends with in real life. You feel sorry for them when other people treat them badly, and while you know they could easily get even by abusing their powers, the fact they don't makes them all the more admirable. They endure the loneliness and soldier on, putting other people's needs ahead of their own. Like real heroes should.

If we're talking pure charm, I'd rank L&C, Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy and Batman '66 at the top of the list. Obviously I enjoy darker, grittier comic book adaptations as well, but there's something to be said for those more innocent and uplifting superhero stories. They cheer people up when times are rough.
Definitely.

What I like about SM3 is how it gives us the closest thing in live action to a more adult, experienced Spider-Man in the way he comes to be appreciated by NYC in a more unified way. A fourth film with Tobey would've pushed that maturation even further.

It's something I'm keen on seeing - truly showing what his name suggests: Spider-MAN. Pushing into the future to see where things really go, whether that be good or bad.

It's what I like about Into the Spider-Verse. Miles' Spider-Man (who gets killed) represents the young myth, freeze framed as a perfect hero who never becomes old enough to see his life deteriorate. Peter B. Parker, who is essentially Tobey and our Earth's Spidey, thankfully is allowed to become older, but as a result his life isn't what it used to be. Which allows for personal growth and the exciting prospect of being a mentor.

I like Reign for similar reasons, especially the last panel about his "responsibilities".