Rank all the solo Spider-Man films

Started by The Laughing Fish, Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 20:43

Previous topic - Next topic
From best to worst, list down all the solo Spider-Man movies. I haven't seen Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, but if you have and want to rank it somewhere on the list, go right ahead.

• Spider-Man 2 (2004)
  • Spider-Man (2002)
  • Spider-Man 3 (2007)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

I reckon the second Raimi film showing us Peter Parker's character arc in relinquishing his crime-fighting role and returning to it was the best attempt of the trope by far. But I should mention the second Webb film did have a valid justification why he retired for awhile following Gwen Stacy's death, which was perhaps the best - and certainly emotional - moment in that entire movie.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 14 Dec  2018, 20:43
  • Spider-Man 2 (2004)
  • Spider-Man (2002)
  • Spider-Man 3 (2007)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

That would be my rankings as well.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 28 Dec  2018, 07:16
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 14 Dec  2018, 20:43
That would be my rankings as well.

I guess great minds think alike.  ;D

I remember last year my fellow co-workers remarked Tom Holland was the best Spider-Man and shat on Tobey Maguire. I had to resist expressing my distaste, but it wasn't easy.  :-[
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Slightly different list:

Spider-Man 2 (2004)
Spider-Man 3 (2007)
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
Spider-Man (2002)

The top four are very close to one another. The final one is unremarkable in many ways. Not amazingly good but not bad at all.

I'm the guy in the room who rather enjoys ASM2.

Spider-Man 2 (2004)
Spider-Man 3 (2007)
Spider-Man (2002)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

I actually like all of the films, except Homecoming.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 29 Dec  2018, 21:09I actually like all of the films, except Homecoming.
I didn't even bother watching it. Spider-Man's role in Civil War seemed like try hard fluff. It ultimately contributed nothing major to the film and it felt tacked on because it kind of was.

Why would I want to watch a movie-length version of the same basic concept?

Plus, I really don't understand the boner these movie studios have for creating cool looking superhero outfits for principal photography and then covering them with CGI in the final product. The Spider-Man costume for Civil War and Homecoming is probably the sleekest, coolest outfit he's ever had in live action... but you mostly wouldn't know that if you watch the movies, where it looks like the character is wearing a cartoon somehow.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 29 Dec  2018, 10:28
The final one is unremarkable in many ways. Not amazingly good but not bad at all.

The first Raimi film placed last in your list, eh? Interesting. May I be so bold and guess if you had any issues with Peter indirectly getting Carradine killed?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 29 Dec  2018, 21:59
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 29 Dec  2018, 21:09I actually like all of the films, except Homecoming.
I didn't even bother watching it. Spider-Man's role in Civil War seemed like try hard fluff. It ultimately contributed nothing major to the film and it felt tacked on because it kind of was.

Why would I want to watch a movie-length version of the same basic concept?

You certainly did yourself a favour skipping Homecoming. I didn't even buy into the hype over Michael Keaton as Vulture. There's nothing new about his portrayal that we hadn't seen in previous Spider-Man film villains. Such an overrated villain.

Holland's Spider-Man gets worse in each movie appearance. So useless and pointless, all he does is undermine Tony Stark as a character. If they wanted to introduce the new Spider-Man in the MCU, Civil War was the WRONG movie to do it. But for some reason, I remember when the news broke out that Sony agreed to integrate the reboot with the MCU, the fanboys were hoping Peter Parker would start from high school. I never understood the appeal, but to the MCU's credit, they seem to be giving the fans what they want, which is asking very little.

I see a lot of fans saying Holland's portrayal is the most accurate on screen to date. Admittedly, my knowledge in Spider-Man comics isn't great, but I still can't help but feel my bullsh*t detector is going off. You know, screw it - here are my rankings of all the live action Spideys thus far:

• Tobey Maguire
  • Andrew Garfield
  • Nicholas Hammond
  • Tom Holland

I'll acknowledge that Raimi and Webb were bringing different influences to the screen. Raimi seems perpetually in love with that Lee/Romita era. That's a good Spider-Man era to be obsessed with so no criticism here.

Webb seemed more fixated on a pseudo-Ultimate version. Quite enjoyable. Certainly I can't knock the casting decisions he made.

Homecoming? Obviously I never saw it. But exactly what is that adapting? Lee/Ditko? Tough to say because the trailers don't really look like anything at all.

Homecoming is just blah and Holland is overrated. You read how he can do his own stunts...as if that's meant to make his performance better. I'll tell you now, it doesn't. This Peter comes off as annoying, dopey and a lackey. We have Peter with Iron Man AI talking to him in his suit, looking to impress Tony Stark to become an Avenger...and what do I hear? How this is close to being a definitive portrayal. DEFINITIVE? Mary Jane is a homeless looking SJW and May is a young woman we're meant to think is attractive. Uncle Ben is completely absent from the mythos. The Elfman, Horner and Zimmer soundtracks were memorable, but this one? Utterly forgettable. The new Spider-Man PS4 game is vastly superior, and was a welcome reminder of why I like the character considering Holland's universe is so lacklustre. It's like they made a movie for millennials, which does nothing for me whatsoever.

Spider-Man (2002)
Spider-Man 2 (2004)
Spider-Man 3 (2007)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

It's not a popular way to rank them, but it's mine. :)