X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019)

Started by The Joker, Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 07:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Trailer #1 for Fox's last big hurrah with the X-Men.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I think I see what people mean when they say this looks so similar to X-Men- Last Stand. There does seem to be a lot of commonality there.

Then again, both of them are stories about Jean losing control of the Phoenix force. So there really are only so many ways to tell that particular story. Considering the personnel overlap between X-Men Last Stand and Dark Phoenix movies, similarities are inevitable.

Looks interesting. This was one of the few superhero movie franchises I gave a crap about anymore so seeing the last movie in the run is a priority.

Trailer #2

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 28 Feb  2019, 06:17

Trailer #2

I'll be the only person here to say this, but this is my most anticipated superhero film of the year. Everything I've seen from it looks awesome imo.

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 28 Feb  2019, 06:17

Trailer #2

I didn't like the last X-Men movie that much so I wasn't too hyped about a sequel, but this looks pretty good. I'm interested.

There was a point about this time last year where I was convinced this movie might not come out. The acquisition didn't do much to change my mind.

And yet, here we are. This thing has been so committee-banged that it'll be a minor miracle if it's watchable at all. But the trailer looks pretty good, gotta admit.

Yup.

Much like "The Last Stand", Dark Phoenix isn't a faithful adaptation to the source material (ideally it would take more than one movie), but I found the movie to be alright. There's a dour tone to the film that some people may or may not like, something to which I don't believe was the case with "The Last Stand", but I think it worked with the story we're given.

Dark Phoenix isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but not nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. Given that I really liked some of the Fox X-men movies from the past 20 years with this franchise, seeing the finale wasn't something I was going to avoid.

I'll try watching the movie this weekend. No promises. But I'm going on with low expectations, though with an agenda to actually like the movie since none of the First Class-related movies have been an out-and-out letdown for me.

I'm not interested in seeing Dark Phoenix, but the media is reporting the film had undergone reshoots because it was too similar to certain MCU movies, and like JL, it was originally supposed to be a two-part saga.

And like JL, fans are petitioning for the true version of the movie:

https://www.change.org/p/20th-century-fox-release-the-original-version-of-dark-phoenix-resurrectphoenix?recruiter=942746599&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=tap_basic_share

Alas, it appears we have another Snyder cut situation. Oh joy!
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei