Spider-Man TAS (1994-1998)

Started by Edd Grayson, Sat, 12 Jul 2014, 19:28

Previous topic - Next topic
I've watched a few episodes of this series recently, and, maybe it's because of nostalgia too, but I feel it holds up pretty well and it's still entertaining. On some levels it was a better representation of Spider-Man than the movies, even though it had its share of faults.

Any other fans of this series? I'd love to talk more about it.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sat, 12 Jul  2014, 19:28
I've watched a few episodes of this series recently, and, maybe it's because of nostalgia too, but I feel it holds up pretty well and it's still entertaining. On some levels it was a better representation of Spider-Man than the movies, even though it had its share of faults.

Any other fans of this series? I'd love to talk more about it.
I like the two recent movie franchises but I think you're right that the animated series is a finer representation of the character than he films.  Animation tends to have it easier though.  It can do almost anything and isn't as subject to budget or casting issues.

It's kind of like "Batman: The Animated Series" in that sense although I don't think the animation was as distinctive as "B:TAS".  The animation was polished though.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Their Venom storyline was a gift to Sony.

If they just adapted the opening bit (Shuttle comes down to earth with the symbiote, etc.) it would have greatly improved Spidey 3.

Kind of like how B&R adapted the Nora Fries storyline from BTAS. Didn't make it a great film, but was a nice addition.

Unfortunately, at least for the time being, this is the closest that we'll ever get to seeing something like that on film:

Wed, 16 Jul 2014, 21:47 #3 Last Edit: Wed, 16 Jul 2014, 21:52 by The Joker
It's a pretty good series.

I remember being pretty excited about the animated series once I heard/read it was going to air on Saturday mornings along with X-Men. Though I think X-Men was probably better of the two, since I think that show implemented some memorable dramatic beats to stories that were being adapted, something largely missing from Superhero animation at that time outside of Batman TAS of course, Spider-Man did not disappoint, and I felt the show captured, sufficiently, what makes Spider-Man a enduring character. Along with highlighting the great supporting cast, as well as a spectacularly great rogues gallery. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Peter Parker's design was based on the actor Nicholas Hammond, who starred in the Spider-Man TV show of the 70's.

Mary Jane Watson was the main love interest for Peter...

Along with Felicia Hardy, who would later become the Black Cat.

If you asked me, they nailed JJJ in this show.

Flash Thompson once tried to impersonate his hero, Spider-Man. It didn't work out that well for him.

Aunt May never found out that her nephew was Spider-Man.

I liked the Uncle Ben flashbacks. Peter looked up to him.

Gwen Stacy only appared in an alternate reality, because the writers knew that they had to kill her off like in the comics, and it wasn't allowed.

The Gren Goblin didn't appear until season 3 because someone thought it would be a better idea to introduce Hobgoblin first. Norman Osborn had been dead in the comics for years when this show was made.

Harry Osborn is being driven insane and eventually becomes the Green Goblin II.

Personally, I loved the Hobgobiln. Voiced by Mark "Joker" Hamill  8)

The Kingpin was the show's main villain sicne he was behind most of the villains' plots in the later seasons, pulling the strings.

Doc Ock was done well here, until he started working for the Kingpin instead of following his own agenda.

When I watch it now it does give me a headache somewhat because it is edited so quickly and frenetic lol I mean the action scenes are boom, boom, boom! It doesn't take time to breathe like the Batman series did.

I never realised for years that the voice of Spider-Man is the same guy who voices Prince Eric in Disney's The Little Mermaid either.

Am I right in thinking members of Aerosmith actually did the show's theme? The guitar riffs?

I especially liked the show where the X-Men came into Spider-Man. They re-used the proper cast too so they fit seamlessly together. In other Marvel shows, with the character of Daredevil for instance, it tended to be various voice artists playing the character in certain other crossovers.

I had a feeling Nicholas Hammond was the model for the animation. I like the live action series too despite it's many problems. For a time in the early 1990's I'd never seen anything like it: a real Spider-Man! 1970's or not it was amazing for a time.

It's just a shame in the animated show the 3D cityscapes of New York and backgrounds for characters now look a little strange. Back then it was pretty revolutionary. Today it looks kind of out of place.

Joe Perry of Aerosmith did the opening theme.

Here's Christopher Daniel Barnes doing the prototype for Bale's Batman voice  :P

Reviving this thread due to an interesting time capsule article from Wizard Magazine (circa 1995), that discusses the then-very-much-in-developmental-hell Spider-Man live action movie, along with previous Spider-Man television shows and cartoons, before finally going into TAS.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Wow, what a blast from the past! Good find! A time capsule from an era when Spider-Man on the big screen was basically wishful thinking and Titanic was shaping up to be one of the great cinematic boondoggles of all time.

I swear to think there was a Wizard feature about John Semper from SMTAS around the time Carnage came onto the show. Maybe 1996? Or early 1997? I remember it actually being a pretty informative read. Among other things, Semper addressed stuff fan consternation like the Hobgoblin preceding the first appearance of the Green Goblin. Basically, his predecessor (Marty Pasko?) committed to that decision and there was nothing Semper could do about it when he took over.

He also explained the logic behind expanding stories to season-long stories rather than the one or two-parters that made up season one. As a kid, I didn't appreciate the season-long stories but I couldn't fault his logic.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 25 Mar  2022, 16:38
Wow, what a blast from the past! Good find! A time capsule from an era when Spider-Man on the big screen was basically wishful thinking and Titanic was shaping up to be one of the great cinematic boondoggles of all time.

Yeah, I couldn't tell you how many times I imagined a live action Spider-Man movie in my head as a kid growing up in the 1990's. Basically fan casted (which would change regularly) not just a imaginary '90's Spider-Man movie, but a line of sequels as well. Although Spider-Man wasn't the exception, did the same thing with Superman, X-Men, Hulk, Wonder Woman, ect ect ect.  :D

QuoteHe also explained the logic behind expanding stories to season-long stories rather than the one or two-parters that made up season one. As a kid, I didn't appreciate the season-long stories but I couldn't fault his logic.

Completely understandable. I was pretty much in the same boat. Season long stories were fine, but if you missed watching an episode of the show on a particular Sat morning or weekday for whatever reason, you could reasonably be ok in getting brushed up on what you missed, and whats going on, but it was a little irritating at the same time. Especially so if you missed back-to-back episodes. Boy, the days before DVR's and now streaming, where a show's catalogue of episodes are often easily available at your fingertips were something.