Box Office Thread

Started by Silver Nemesis, Mon, 7 Mar 2022, 14:26

Previous topic - Next topic
With the acknowledgement that we can't actually know what WOULD have happened, I have wondered how things might've played out had TB been thirty minutes shorter. Because in theory, that would've added one additional showing per day for exhibitors.

And if the movie had been a half hour shorter, I think it's reasonable to speculate that there was an extra $50 million (Stateside, at least) waiting for it.

Obviously, we'll never know. But I think you could argue that pretty successfully.

This is basically a roundup of the various sources claiming that TB's box office is not everything WB (or WBD) had hoped for. Basically, TB didn't hit the coveted $1 billion mark, which is no bueno.

Now, one reason I trust ME on this is because the main host tends to aggregate articles/sources together. He shows his work. A lot of what is said in this video about TB not getting the numbers WB(D) would've hoped adds up for me.

I still enjoy the movie, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that the chain of logic makes sense to me. There are competing versions of Batman going on right now. There's no possible way that is benefiting the character. A unified creative direction combined with a shorter runtime can only help matters. It would boost the franchise if Pattinson was the ONLY Batman available.

I am bit more skeptical about the "family-friendly" tone that WBD is allegedly demanding. Dark Batman films have a long and demonstrable history of success. I don't think a lighter approach will achieve much of anything.

I have no doubt a shorter runtime would have meant more money, but in legacy terms I'll take the extra footage. That content makes it a better movie, as is also true for Dawn of Justice and ZSJL. A film's life is longer than its initial release window, and a profit has still been made.

I like The Batman, and I want sequels and spin-offs. But I'd love to see something like The Return of Bruce Wayne down the line, perhaps even for an Affleck story years after The Flash. A story like that is creativity unchained, demonstrating Batman's badassery on a massive scale while further opening up to fantastical elements. As Superman says, "he (Batman) can survive anywhere. Anytime. Surviving is what he does." He's out of his element, literally out of his time, but he rises to the challenge. I love the concept and the story is underrated.

I could see a Burtonesque director relishing depicting the various time periods, namely the dawn of history, the 18th century and the Wild West. Batfleck fashioned himself the Knightmare costume, so it's not out of the question he'd do the same for other eras if he was the actor in the role. But if not, this is the type of adventure I'd still be open to seeing.