Gotham PD Spin-off TV Show

Started by johnnygobbs, Fri, 10 Jul 2020, 17:13

Previous topic - Next topic
I would prefer an Arkham show. It would be a good way to introduce new villains into the universe without having to flesh them out and take up time in the movies.

It would also be an opportunity to flesh out Martha's family history, Thomas' attempt to cover up her mental illness and the role of the Elliot family. Add in the unidentified prisoner and we have numerous juicy plot points that should factor into future films. I can see the upsides here.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 18 Mar  2022, 12:57
It would also be an opportunity to flesh out Martha's family history, Thomas' attempt to cover up her mental illness and the role of the Elliot family. Add in the unidentified prisoner and we have numerous juicy plot points that should factor into future films. I can see the upsides here.
The trend in recent years seems to be presenting Thomas with a bit more of a tarnished halo. JOKER depicted him as, well, not a good person. And now, TB has implicated him in manslaughter, at the very least.

No idea if moving Thomas away from being a living (and then a dead) saint is a positive thing. But that does seem to be the direction things are going these days.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 18 Mar  2022, 13:19
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 18 Mar  2022, 12:57
The trend in recent years seems to be presenting Thomas with a bit more of a tarnished halo. JOKER depicted him as, well, not a good person. And now, TB has implicated him in manslaughter, at the very least.
They also did that in the Telltale video games. Which I know TDK and I would recommend, because we both liked those games.

I can't remember, but didn't they depicted Martha as having a mental illness in Earth One, or am I thinking of another storyline in the comics?

I have suspicions about why it's being done, namely to tarnish billionaires of certain backgrounds with a negative brush, as well as Bruce's economic advantage over everyday people. That said, there's room for a variety of different interpretations in the lexicon. It's definitely a trend in the modern material. The main thing I like is how it provides a mental point of difference for Bruce because reality is often different to what we imagine. It forces him to become a different person as a man in comparison to his childhood self. He views his parents in a less deified light while they remain the root of his crusade. It casts a shade of gray rather than pure black and white.

Quote from: Travesty on Fri, 18 Mar  2022, 13:34
I can't remember, but didn't they depicted Martha as having a mental illness in Earth One, or am I thinking of another storyline in the comics?
Volume 3 had Clayface impersonating Adrian Arkham, Bruce's grandfather. As Adrian he said his wife lost her mind at the loss of her son and tried to kill Martha.