Gotham PD Spin-off TV Show

Started by johnnygobbs, Fri, 10 Jul 2020, 17:13

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 25 Jul  2020, 21:09
I've always thought it would be interesting to have a Batman adaptation where you never see the private Bruce Wayne. All you would see is Batman and the playboy Bruce Wayne, but never the real person connecting the two personas. The closest we've come to this in the past was the Gotham Tonight web series that took place in the Nolanverse. They'd often mention Batman, and would occasionally show blurry footage of him, but Bruce Wayne always appeared separately in his playboy persona. For example, at the 14:25 mark.

They should do something like this with Pattinson on the Gotham PD series. Have him cameo as Batman and the public Bruce Wayne, but never the private Bruce. That way we see him as the people of Gotham do - as two separate and very different people.
I've had similar thoughts ever since reading Lex Luthor: Man of Steel. That shows exactly what you suggest and it plays really effectively precisely because in the comic we never really see private Bruce as the connective tissue going on there. The story implies that Lex sees through Bruce's deception but it's easy to see where most people wouldn't. So yeah, I'd love to see this in a movie.

They should do something like this with Pattinson on the Gotham PD series. Have him cameo as Batman and the public Bruce Wayne, but never the private Bruce. That way we see him as the people of Gotham do - as two separate and very different people.
I think that's a great idea. I personally prefer Bruce Wayne being in the Affleck mould - someone who is viewed as sensible and respectable, but with women in his bed and pretending to be slightly drunk at events. But I believe the playboy persona is Bale's biggest legacy to the cinematic Batman. He has had the biggest separation between Batman and Bruce Wayne until now. I can also see Pattinson delivering on that type of portrayal if the story permitted it.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 26 Jul  2020, 01:15
I think that's a great idea. I personally prefer Bruce Wayne being in the Affleck mould - someone who is viewed as sensible and respectable, but with women in his bed and pretending to be slightly drunk at events. But I believe the playboy persona is Bale's biggest legacy to the cinematic Batman. He has had the biggest separation between Batman and Bruce Wayne until now. I can also see Pattinson delivering on that type of portrayal if the story permitted it.

Agreed. Brief glimpses of Wayne and Batman from the POV of regular people, cops, reporters etc. Almost like what the Gotham Central comic did (if I remember right), which at points was almost like a storyboard for an HBO TV series.

So the TV series will be Year One to the movie's Year Two. This is starting to make sense now. Year One was always more of a Gordon story, focusing on corruption in Gotham City law enforcement, whereas Year Two was always more of a Batman story, focusing on Bruce's personal motivation and his growing confidence beneath the cowl. Showing Pattinson's Year One phase entirely from the GCPD perspective is an interesting way of addressing his origins without heavily revisiting material adapted in earlier films and TV shows.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun, 23 Aug  2020, 13:55
So the TV series will be Year One to the movie's Year Two. This is starting to make sense now. Year One was always more of a Gordon story, focusing on corruption in Gotham City law enforcement, whereas Year Two was always more of a Batman story, focusing on Bruce's personal motivation and his growing confidence beneath the cowl. Showing Pattinson's Year One phase entirely from the GCPD perspective is an interesting way of addressing his origins without heavily revisiting material adapted in earlier films and TV shows.
Indeed. There's plenty of potential given what TB's trailer presents. It seems like Batman will be at odds with the Police at times, but he was still trusted enough to attend crime scenes and interact with Gordon. I'd like the show to explore how that alliance came to be, even if it's just via GCPD gossip or newspaper headlines -  if Wright or Pattinson aren't making appearances.

Assuming Wright isn't in the show which is supposedly a take on Batman: Year One, perhaps Gordon is a new arrival/transfer to Gotham PD, when he appears in The Batman (just as Gordon was in Miller's Batman: Year One graphic novel). 

Batman immediately gravitates towards Gordon as a potential liaison, because as a new arrival, he can be pretty sure that Gordon is one of the few senior officers who isn't tarnished with the corruption that has already infected its long-serving officers (including Commissioner Pete Savage and Chief Mackenzie Block, who both briefly appear in the trailer, during what looks like some type of press conference scene).  Perhaps the show's default protagonist is one of the few idealistic officers on the force prior to Gordon's arrival, and perhaps the show ends with his demise (likely at the hands of his corrupt colleagues).

All of this just spit-balling, of course, but it would make sense of how a Gotham PD show might work without either Wright or Pattinson making any significant, or indeed any, appearances (other than perhaps a few officers making references to the offscreen Batman - or one of Pattinson's stand-ins dressed as Batman and seen only from a distance).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

A new show runner has been found.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/gotham-pd-series-hbo-max-showrunner-joe-barton-1234882681/

I have no idea as to this fellow's artistic ability. But I am glad they're persevering with the project and things are back on track. As long as Reeves has input I'm sure the integrity of the universe as established in The Batman can remain pure. They just need to keep this continuity completely separate from the DCEU. Batman is big enough to stand on his own with his own universe. I'm talking about several seasons of GCPD, perhaps a Catwoman spinoff and other things. Keaton is king, and I'll be there for him. But projects like The Suicide Squad just ain't for me, fam.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 16 Jan  2021, 02:55
A new show runner has been found.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/gotham-pd-series-hbo-max-showrunner-joe-barton-1234882681/

I have no idea as to this fellow's artistic ability. But I am glad they're persevering with the project and things are back on track. As long as Reeves has input I'm sure the integrity of the universe as established in The Batman can remain pure. They just need to keep this continuity completely separate from the DCEU. Batman is big enough to stand on his own with his own universe. I'm talking about several seasons of GCPD, perhaps a Catwoman spinoff and other things. Keaton is king, and I'll be there for him. But projects like The Suicide Squad just ain't for me, fam.
It does make you wonder how you go about finding a new showrunner for a series like this. Replacing an actor is difficult but not impossible. But finding a new showrunner who will color inside Matt Reeves's lines while still creating a watchable show is no easy task, I would imagine.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/matt-reeves-batman-tv-show-changes-gotham-pd-creative-issue-1235198064

tl;dr- Matt Reeves: 'The Batman' TV Series Changed From Gotham PD to Arkham After Creative Differences

Unfortunate. But the Arkham show sounds pretty interesting.