Colin Farrell is Penguin

Started by Travesty, Sat, 9 Nov 2019, 16:57

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm not concerned yet, it's just we haven't even seen the movie. It's so weird how they're already in the pre-production stages of this....but they did the same thing with the Peacemaker show before SS was released, so I dunno?

If The Batman is great, I'll be more than fine with having all of these shows. It just feels weird I guess. More than anything, I just want to see this damn movie. It looks so good. lol

Quote from: Travesty on Thu, 16 Sep  2021, 15:42
More than anything, I just want to see this damn movie. It looks so good. lol
Reeves shared this photo on social media for Batman Day:

Gotta say Trav, the movie is sure looking good, and this still feels like it wouldn't be out of place in B89. He's possibly thrown a smoke bomb and is grappling away from the area. Not long until the second trailer at Fandome.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 18 Sep  2021, 23:53

Gotta say Trav, the movie is sure looking good, and this still feels like it wouldn't be out of place in B89. He's possibly thrown a smoke bomb and is grappling away from the area. Not long until the second trailer at Fandome.
The more time goes on, the more legit TB looks all the time. Seems like whenever something new pops up, it's another reminder that this thing is shaping up to be very special.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 18 Sep  2021, 23:53

Yeah, I saw that on twitter. I wish he shared a little clip, but I guess Fandome is just under a month away.

Can't wait for a new trailer!

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  2 Feb  2020, 00:22
We'll be getting something new, anyway, which is good. It's time to move past DeVito. Holding one version of something up as the best and only that we can't ever move away from is regressive thinking. Some fans did it with Ledger's Joker, and even the Nolan trilogy itself.
They definitely moved on from DeVito by offering something new. The Penguin isn't in the movie all that much but I label his cinematic return a success. He is very much a mobster, who is destined to become something greater. As a fan of The Godfather, The Godfather II, Goodfellas and Scarface, I can definitely see scope for their HBO Max program. That's the type of energy I get from the Falcone crew. Colin's Penguin is charming enough for social interaction but well and truly prepared to get dirty when the time comes to fight. His journey can't stop with The Batman - it needs to be expanded upon.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  3 Mar  2022, 12:44
They definitely moved on from DeVito by offering something new. The Penguin isn't in the movie all that much but I label his cinematic return a success. He is very much a mobster, who is destined to become something greater. As a fan of The Godfather, The Godfather II, Goodfellas and Scarface, I can definitely see scope for their HBO Max program. That's the type of energy I get from the Falcone crew. Colin's Penguin is charming enough for social interaction but well and truly prepared to get dirty when the time comes to fight. His journey can't stop with The Batman - it needs to be expanded upon.
I second this. The whole time you're watching the movie, you're thinking "There's a lot more to this character than the movie can show us".

What I enjoy about this incarnation of the Penguin is his ability to survive by any means necessary. If he has to buddy up to the mob, he will. If he has to sell the mob out to Batman, he will. If he has to try to kill Batman, he will. He's very cunning and opportunistic. That works for me.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  6 Mar  2022, 05:29
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  3 Mar  2022, 12:44
I second this. The whole time you're watching the movie, you're thinking "There's a lot more to this character than the movie can show us".

What I enjoy about this incarnation of the Penguin is his ability to survive by any means necessary. If he has to buddy up to the mob, he will. If he has to sell the mob out to Batman, he will. If he has to try to kill Batman, he will. He's very cunning and opportunistic. That works for me.
The show taking place immediately after The Batman would be a good idea. He's inherited the Empire and needs to assert himself. He can say his predecessor was nothing but a rat and things needs to change. Some may not respond to that favorably at first, but by the time film two arrives, a status quo has been reached. Where it will stay long term. I think the various shows shouldn't be essential viewing to understand what's going on in the films. But the stories are there to be shown and I'd really like to see them.

I'm not generally a fan of Colin Farrell, but he really nailed it in this movie. The makeup effects were outstanding, and I loved how he managed to incorporate Oswald's waddle into his gait. While the film is on the whole very serious, I found it quite funny when (minor spoilers) Batman and Gordon drove off leaving Penguin tied up in the middle of nowhere. That bit made me chuckle.

Thankfully The Penguin TV show is still going ahead. The Batman II had already been announced, and will happen, but could take some time, especially with these side projects going on. I saw clickbait about it not being green lit, but surely they know that only happens when a script has been finalized. And honestly, Reeves should cast his eyes over City of Crime. It would be perfect for the Battinsonverse. It's dark, atmospheric, has detective work, and features Freeze and Penguin in very satisfying ways. One of the most underrated Batman comics I've ever come across.