Colin Farrell is Penguin

Started by Travesty, Sat, 9 Nov 2019, 16:57

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Travesty on Mon,  6 Jan  2020, 23:52
Oh, and Matt Reeves got on twitter to confirm Farrell as Penguin. It's been rumors this entire time, but it's been confirmed now.
Not much to say at this point, but good to have that confirmation.

However it is worth noting that Reeves introduced Farrell by calling him Oz. This was his nickname in the Telltale series, where Bruce and Oz were childhood friends.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon,  6 Jan  2020, 19:51
The first pictures have been cropping up online from the location shoot in London, and it looks like we might have our first glimpse of Farrell's Penguin.

His appearance reminds me of something I wrote in another thread last year.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  6 Apr  2019, 12:52Oswald Cobblepot could be reimagined as a Welsh albino mob boss who flies off the handle whenever anyone mocks his white hair ('pen gwyn' means 'white head' in Welsh). Making him an albino would also offer an explanation for why he always carries an umbrella to protect himself from the sun.
https://www.batman-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=3820.msg58973#msg58973

It's unlikely that Farrell's Penguin is an albino, and we certainly can't confirm it from this picture (if this is indeed him, which it might not be). But if they're using my 'white head' idea then I think I deserve at least 93.7% of the final box office gross in royalties. It's only fair.
I was wrong, this is definitely Penguin in the movie. Farrell has been seen in public with silver hair, so that was definitely him in these set pics.

So looks like Penguin will have silver hair. interesting take.

I take it all back. Farrel is doing press, and now has the black hair, says he hasn't filmed anything for Batman, and that he starts shooing in about 3-4weeks from now, and that he's still trying to bulk up for the role a bit.

I guess that silver hair person with the umbrella was just a coincidence. A weird coincidence, but one nonetheless. lol

Quote from: Travesty on Fri, 24 Jan  2020, 15:42
I take it all back. Farrel is doing press, and now has the black hair, says he hasn't filmed anything for Batman, and that he starts shooing in about 3-4weeks from now, and that he's still trying to bulk up for the role a bit.

I guess that silver hair person with the umbrella was just a coincidence. A weird coincidence, but one nonetheless. lol
I'm now unsure how strong the Telltale influence will be with this Penguin, at least aesthetically. Colin is putting on weight for the role, and Telltale's version was slim. I've seen talk he may have a pointed nose as well. A blend of incarnations is probably more likely.

We'll be getting something new, anyway, which is good. It's time to move past DeVito. Holding one version of something up as the best and only that we can't ever move away from is regressive thinking. Some fans did it with Ledger's Joker, and even the Nolan trilogy itself.

As you'd know, Glasgow has been chosen as the new Gotham, which is a big upgrade from Chicago. With Gothic architecture, Glasgow feels like a realistic version of Burton's Gotham. And the Batmobile will be filming on the streets soon. So there's plenty to be excited about, ol' Trav.

I'm looking forward to following the production throughout the year.

Yeah, I'm very excited about the Glasgow shooting. That's a HUGE upgrade from Chicago.

Well well well. A spinoff series about The Penguin is in development for HBO Max:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/the-batman-spinoff-series-penguin-hbo-max-1235063438/

Even though it seems like a random announcement right now I'm down for The Batman being its own universe. These shows help it remain that way. The GCPD show being a police drama and this being a mob drama fits with a more grounded approach. If there's a third show it's more likely to be focused on Selina.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 14 Sep  2021, 01:10
Well well well. A spinoff series about The Penguin is in development for HBO Max:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/the-batman-spinoff-series-penguin-hbo-max-1235063438/

Even though it seems like a random announcement right now I'm down for The Batman being its own universe. These shows help it remain that way. The GCPD show being a police drama and this being a mob drama fits with a more grounded approach. If there's a third show it's more likely to be focused on Selina.
I appreciate the fact that there's a concerted effort being made to expand this universe. The Nolan trilogy had that animated tie-in... which Nolan never even attempted to coordinate with.

It gives the idea that WME is all in on this version of Batman. Which is a good thing.

I just hope the movie is good. Granted, I think it looks phenomenal from what little we've seen, but I haven't seen it yet, so I hope it's good. They seem to be eager about expanding this through tv shows and movies.

Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 14 Sep  2021, 14:22
I just hope the movie is good. Granted, I think it looks phenomenal from what little we've seen, but I haven't seen it yet, so I hope it's good. They seem to be eager about expanding this through tv shows and movies.
I think the movie will hit the fanbase like a freight train. Joker meets The Dark Knight is the description I've seen bandied about. If all these shows do get made, the Battinson era would have to be one of the most expansive Batman timelines since...BTAS? That is indeed substantial.

Might be alright. Though over saturation of Reeves' version of Batman right from the jump, with not just one, but two shows as follow ups, is something of a concern.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."