Paul Dano is The Riddler

Started by johnnygobbs, Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 18:19

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  2 Feb  2021, 18:10
I re-watched Die Hard with a Vengeance (1995) a couple of weeks ago, and for me that's the ultimate Riddler movie. A Batman film like that, set within a single night where Batman has to race around Gotham following Nygma's trail of clues, would be amazing.
I love With A Vengeance and you're right it would make a good Riddler film. If I'm remembering correctly there's an episode of The Batman that's similar to that where The Riddler has Detective Yin running around the city solving puzzles with Batman helping her out.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Tue,  2 Feb  2021, 20:53
I love With A Vengeance and you're right it would make a good Riddler film. If I'm remembering correctly there's an episode of The Batman that's similar to that where The Riddler has Detective Yin running around the city solving puzzles with Batman helping her out.

I need to revisit The Batman. I haven't watched most of the episodes since they originally aired in the UK about 15 years ago, but that one particular episode with the Riddler stands out in my memory. It definitely had a strong DHWAV vibe that worked well for the character.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu,  4 Feb  2021, 22:45
Quote from: BatmanFurst on Tue,  2 Feb  2021, 20:53

I need to revisit The Batman. I haven't watched most of the episodes since they originally aired in the UK about 15 years ago, but that one particular episode with the Riddler stands out in my memory. It definitely had a strong DHWAV vibe that worked well for the character.
I rewatched the episode and I was surprised at how similar it is to Die Hard 3 to the point that it almost feels like a ripoff. It has the same plot and twists. You have to solve a riddle in order to stop a bomb from going off just like the movie. At the end the final riddle turn out to be fake with the bomb being gelatin just like the bomb in the school was pancake syrup. Finally, you find out that the riddles are just a ruse to lead the Gotham PD away from a location so that Riddler can stage a heist which is exactly what happens in With a Vengeance.

I hope the full face mask isn't the primary design. I don't think there's been a definitive Riddler look since Frank Gorshin (it's a shame there's only been a couple live action outings in general).

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  2 Feb  2021, 18:10
I re-watched Die Hard with a Vengeance (1995) a couple of weeks ago, and for me that's the ultimate Riddler movie. A Batman film like that, set within a single night where Batman has to race around Gotham following Nygma's trail of clues, would be amazing.
So true. Good movie.

And that would be a pretty novel approach for a Batman film. Or any superhero film, rly.

I always preferred the green and black suit that Gorshin occasionally wore as opposed to the green spandex.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sun, 30 May  2021, 21:39
I always preferred the green and black suit that Gorshin occasionally wore as opposed to the green spandex.
Honestly I hold both outfits in similar esteem; the spandex is the closest approximation of the classic look that stood for around 50 years, but the suit and bowler hat became so beloved that it went on to influence most most modern interpretations of the character; there were a few one-off redesigns until BTAS ran with the look.

The Forever look was fine, but a bit too green; the purple accents of the original really helped break up the design. And the red wig wasn't doing it any favors.

Interesting video going over Dano's Riddler, along with similarities with the Zodiac Killer.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sun,  6 Jun  2021, 11:04
Interesting video going over Dano's Riddler, along with similarities with the Zodiac Killer.
I'm sort of glad that somebody is making that connection. I always thought that if there was ever an irl supervillain, the Zodiac is the probably the closest thing there's ever been to it. The similarities between the Zodiac and the Riddler vis a vis puzzles is fairly obvious. This is good real world inspiration to work from, if you ask me.

Quote from: Slash Man on Sun, 30 May  2021, 18:24
I hope the full face mask isn't the primary design. I don't think there's been a definitive Riddler look since Frank Gorshin (it's a shame there's only been a couple live action outings in general).
From my point of view the Riddler is a character with plenty of scope for aesthetic change because the green suits of Gorshin and Carrey are definitive. It has already been done and I don't need to see it again for Dano to be thought of as worthy.