Tim Burton's 'Alice In Wonderland'

Started by The Dark Knight, Mon, 22 Jun 2009, 10:07

Previous topic - Next topic
I LIKE IT!  And it also helps I have a tiny crush on Anne Hathaway!  ;D

It's alright. I'm not really a fan of this poster. It's too light. And looks a bit fan made. But that's not Burton's fault or department. I'm still excited.

And this should be merged withe the existing thread:

http://www.batmanmovieonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=854.10

God damn it!  >:(  I just saw the trailer and they did something the exact same way to my own creation with the hole next to the dead tree...  >:( >:( >:(

Now I have to change the idea because its too damn close.  I've been working on it since 96 and will finally start production next year.

This sucks big time. It was going to be such a meaningful visual.. Now people are going to think i ripped it off Alice in Wonderland.

sigh.

Anyways, this film doesn't look as interesting as I originally imagined. I was hoping for a McGee's version. You know, the darker take of AIW. Johnny reminds me of Willy Wonka, only in different looks.

I'll pass. Im tired of seeing Johnny Depp.

-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

Wed, 18 Nov 2009, 18:12 #24 Last Edit: Wed, 18 Nov 2009, 18:15 by Tarzan1941
If it weren't for Anne Hathaway being in this film, I would pass too.  It's no secret of my love for her.  For my money the last decent Tim Burton film was Big Fish, which I happen to like a whole bunch!  Ever since he has become the King of the Remakes (Planet of the Apes, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory and now even with Alice in Wonderland) I haven't had much to care for in his movies.  Heck I just looked and he's got a full-length feature of his short Frankenweenie in the pipes.  Corpse Bride bored me to tears and Sweeny Todd was only mildly entertaining to me.

I am really surprised he isn't doing more original material.  True he can give an original take/visual on something but what I think he needs is a total fresh, original screenplay - not book, not movie, not musical to work from.  Maybe he doesn't want to, I don't know.  I never met the man or had a conversation with him, but I would like to think there has to be something in that mad-genius noggin of his that is screaming "Make something original damn it!"  Or maybe it is just me.

That's just me two cents.....

Odd...I always thought this site was a celebration of Tim Burton's work amongst other things.

Also, as for an original film not based on any prior material, where does that leave the Batman films?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 18 Nov  2009, 21:24
Odd...I always thought this site was a celebration of Tim Burton's work amongst other things.

Also, as for an original film not based on any prior material, where does that leave the Batman films?

Considering Batman is 20 years old and Batman Returns is 17 years old, I feel those are perfectly fine.  For the most part, those came early in his career and those successes helped him get other movies done like Edward Scissorhands and even Ed Wood.  My opinion is based more off of Tim's work in the last 10 years.  I was just merely saying that he really needs to find some original material again, and stop with the re-makes. 

I mean what is next for Tim?  Is he going to go back and remake Dracula or The Blob or something else that has already been re-made or adapted by someone else?  Do we as fans really think that would be the best use of Tim's time as a film maker?  I certainly do not.  And allow me to make this point, just encase I didn't make it clear: when I speak of Tim's work I am only speaking of his movies that he directed.  He can produce whatever he wants because if it helps a fellow film maker get their movie out there, than I am all for it! 

I just hope he finds some original material, either from his own ideas scribbled on a cocktail napkin or a screenplay written by some guy that we never have heard of sitting in his office and just comes back and totally blows all of our minds away.  That is my sincerest wish for Tim Burton.

Thu, 19 Nov 2009, 03:34 #27 Last Edit: Thu, 19 Nov 2009, 03:43 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 18 Nov  2009, 21:24
I thought so too.

I am a Tim Burton fan. I'll admit I like more films than others, but I love them all. They all have redeemable traits. I feel Alice in Wonderland is perfect for Burton. I feel it is an excellent use of his time.

I think Sweeney Todd is Burton's best film in his career. And that is a very recent film. It's a serious masterpiece. It's practically flawless. It's a very dark, disturbing tale, and is Burton's darkest film to date.

Dark Shadows is his next feature film. It's based on the gohic soap opera show and Burton is on record saying he's a massive fan. It features werewolves, ghosts, zombies, man-made monsters, witches, warlocks and time travel. And I couldn't care less if you say that's un-original. This is absolutely perfect for Burton.

Sweeney Todd and Edward Scissorhands are my favourites.  I do agree with Tarzan to some extent in that I would like to see Burton make at least one more film based on an entirely original idea.  Scissorhands was such a refreshing movie because it seemed completely like anything else that was being made at the time, and was not based on previous material.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Thu, 19 Nov 2009, 08:46 #29 Last Edit: Thu, 19 Nov 2009, 08:47 by Batnar
hey guys. just want to make clear this film does not deteriorate my love for Tim's first Batman nor Batman Returns.

I truly was hoping for something less happy looking. I really wanted McGees AIW. Judging how Tim pulled off Sweeney Todd (sp?) with the bloody mess from his killings, I imagined this would be in that same style.

When I saw Johnny Depp.. I honestly and not in a mean way felt "yawn..".  
Remember, Im not a fan of everything Tim Burton but I do love many of his films. The Batman in particular.

And  Johnny Depp, though I liked him in Pirates and Edward, does very littel for me today.
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."