What other Tim Burton films do you like?

Started by Dark Knight Detective, Sun, 19 Apr 2009, 19:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: ral on Mon, 27 Apr  2009, 13:43
Quote from: gordonblu on Wed, 22 Apr  2009, 03:56
I,ve been wanting Tim Burton to do Alice for years.

snicker, snicker  ;D

roflmao.... Bad Ral. Bad.  :-X
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

I'd love to see Burton take on The Masque of the Red Death (whether it be in live action or Nightmare styled).

I real gothic Poe film or series of mini movies based on Poe's short stories by Burton would be awesome.

Mon, 27 Apr 2009, 21:50 #23 Last Edit: Fri, 18 Feb 2011, 02:12 by THE BAT-MAN
Quote from: Batnar on Mon, 27 Apr  2009, 13:41
You know... Planet of the Apes is the only Tim Burton film that I remember thinking... this doesn't feel much like a Tim Burton film at all. And was never a big favorite of mine...even though I went out and bought the dvd anyways. ;)

But a lot of that also had to do with the inclusion of Mark Wahlberg who I just couldn't imagine ever being in a Tim Burton film to begin with.
Maybe if he used Johnny Depp? lol... Well I think that might of made the entire movie completely different.

It wasn't a bad film to say the least. Just not Tim Burtonish.  :)

Personally, I would have liked to have seen Michael Keaton instead of Mark Walberg.  In fact it would have been cool if Keaton played in more Tim Burton films like Mars Attacks, Big Fish etc....  As far as planet of the apes not feeling like a Tim Burton film.  I would have to disagree,  I mean, who do you think could have brought planet of the apes back?  I couldn't imagine Richard Donner,Steven Speilberg, Barry Sonnifield, Ridley Scott, Michael Bay, or even George Lucas doing it.  There's something dark and twisted about planet of the apes that is condusive to burton's style.  Again, I just want to make it clear that this is only my opinion.

I would also like to add something, which I think would be funny.  Now understand, I don't necessarily care for musicals.  However, Joel Schumacher directed the musical Phantom of the Opera, which was in my opinion a better attempt than his batman films.  Tim Burton directed the musical Sweeney Todd,  which I thought was extraordinarily well done.  It would be ridiculously funny if Chris Nolan was asked to direct a remake to the musical West Side Story considering his feelings toward realism.

Mon, 27 Apr 2009, 23:49 #24 Last Edit: Mon, 27 Apr 2009, 23:52 by Batnar
heheh, yeah, ixnay on Nolan doing musicals. But you never know.  :P
You made some good points. However, I probably would of liked it if James Cameron did Planet of The Apes. I always liked his work in Terminator and Terminator 2.  A story about a bunch of cybernetic organisms taking over the human species has a nice familiar ring to it. And his films always had a "world" feel to them. :)

The Planet Of The Apes, to me, felt smaller in scale. Tiny movie lots, production stages etc. Felt more claustrophobic. Which is usual with any Tim Burton film.
But just the overall feel, wasn't Tim Burton to me. Batman, Batman Returns, Beetlejuice, Sweeney Todd, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride, all those have that Tim Burton quality people can point out from a distance.
I didnt get that with POA.

But I agree about Michael Keaton being in POA. That would have made it even better for me. Honestly, I'm really not a Marky Mark fan and that's one of the reasons why that DVD hasn't touched my player since the early days I first purchased it, unfortunately.  :-\
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

i was hoping arnie would have been in pota

Funny Batnar mentioned James Cameron because it was Cameron who was first considered to direct POTA, I even saw it in a trade magazine years ago. I am disagreeing somewhat with the whole notion of a Tim Burton film, it's almost as if we are putting him in a mold. Burton has been a very versatile director with great action/adventure films (Batman, Batman Returns), spoofs (Mars Attacks) Biopic (Ed Wood), quirky and dark (Pee Wee and Beetlejuice), Family fantasy (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) etc.

Versitility is his strenght and sometimes dislike when people say"oh it's a Tim Burton film, so it must have this or that etc". Yes there are certain elements that are present in many of his films but that doesn't mean that's all he is or does.

By the way a friend of mine who says that he has connections in the film industry says that Burton is actually on a list for possible directors for the upcoming Pirates 4. I would love to see him do it. He has handled iconic characters before and done films on large scales before. He might not get it, but hey we can only hope. ;)

If Burton directs Pirates 4, he should cast Keaton & give him a main or supporting role.

Agreed, we need to see Keaton back on the big screen. I've been hearing very good things about The Merry Gentlemen.