Favourite scenes in Batman v Superman

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 10 May 2016, 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  3 Jul  2016, 13:58Think not just about the Batman scenes, but the overall package Snyder presents. There's also some lovely Superman imagery. I'll have to screen cap the film when the home release comes out.
That much, I'll agree with. I restricted my remarks to Batman because I assumed that was your intent.

In terms of stylization, I'm prepared to say Snyder has taken it to the next level. He's brought a visual comic book influence that I hadn't even realized how badly I missed after all those years of Nolan's version.

Yes, I enjoy Nolan's version. But I can't argue he didn't severely restrict Batman's aesthetic possibilities.

Overall, I really enjoy right now as a Batman fan and can't wait to see what the future brings. Which is better? Hard to say... but I love the hell out of both of them!

Burton's world still beats Snyders world for me; MOS was depressing and overall boring, it felt like a Nolanized version of Superman. It's not a bad film by any stretch, it's definitely the best superman film since the Donner days but it will never fit my ideals of what a superhero film should be. BvS I enjoyed quite a bit and haven't even seen the ultimate edition yet. Maybe when I do I will be swayed but Burton and Keatons versions are currently better IMO. BvS has a bad rap but some of the flaws are legit, mainly that it was a rushed film and there should have been a solo Batman film first.

Had there never been sequels to the 1989 film, it would have felt complete on it's own. It's a satisfying film with no prior knowledge or follow up required. BvS does follow MOS which is fine but it clearly wraps up storylines from the first film as well as clearly work as setting up future films. I find it more comparable to iron man 2 or the amazing spider-man 2. Now IM2 is well regarded today but mainly because the plot holes it opened up were resolved. Had the MCU died there, it would have felt like an incomplete film like TASM2. As of right now BvS is an unresolved setup but I have a feeling if the DCCU turns out successful, it will have a strong reputation going forward.

The mean reason Burton's film is better for me is the dialogue. While it wasn't as bad as the Nolan films are, BvS still had too much dialogue and speeches going on slowing down the plot. Keaton barely spoke in the cowl and when he did he got to the point. That was great, him using fewer words meant the lines he did have meant more. It also added a mystery element to the character. You never knew what he was thinking or about to do, making him unpredictable; this is also why despite being a bad actor, Kilmer's batman worked. Affleck clearly took some cues from Keaton but Keaton is still the better of the two though both improved their films; even the biggest haters of BvS admit Affleck was not the problem and some people (myself included) feel Batman Returns was a flawed film which Keaton made better.

If we're strictly talking about Batman here, then I have to continue to give the nod to Burton. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed what Snyder has given us with his interpretation of Batman, overall, Burton's vision is what continues to come to mind whenever I think of Batman.

It's had that sort of influence on me.

If we're talking the comic book version, it's either Bob Kane, or Jim Aparo's Batman that are tops for me.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

When I first saw BvS, and we see Batman in the batwing firing upon the goons, followed by a closeup on Batman's face, I turned to my friend and we both had a big knowing, nostalgic smile on our faces. It was just like the good old days with Keaton in B89. Small moment, but it transported me back in time. Loved it.

Bruce Wayne's poetic narration at the start of the film is growing on me.

I bet his reference to "a beautiful lie" is discovering his sense of purpose in life by becoming Batman with a set of ideals, only to realise it gave him false hope and opens to another world of tragedy and hopelessness. This is emphasised further when we see Bruce experiencing what's happening in Metropolis.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Sat, 16 Jul 2016, 03:16 #35 Last Edit: Sat, 16 Jul 2016, 03:20 by The Dark Knight
The anti BvS crowd simply do NOT get the movie. Nor can they accept the clear narrative choices the film makes. It is so infuriating. They act so smug and holier than thou, spouting their nonsense while holding onto critic reviews and Rotten Tomato scores. They cannot accept Batman killing in the film, even though there's narrative reason for it....and Bale did it anyway. Bottom line, they don't get it. Nor do they want to get it.

Look at the bright side, TDK, there are quite a number of people who are liking the Ultimate Edition a lot. One critic on the internet show Collider even came out saying "Now I feel really bad for Zack Snyder for all the flack he got", because he thought the theatrical version was missing crucial scenes that fleshed out the story.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 16 Jul  2016, 03:16The anti BvS crowd simply do NOT get the movie. Nor can they accept the clear narrative choices the film makes. It is so infuriating. They act so smug and holier than thou, spouting their nonsense while holding onto critic reviews and Rotten Tomato scores. They cannot accept Batman killing in the film, even though there's narrative reason for it....and Bale did it anyway. Bottom line, they don't get it. Nor do they want to get it.
Everybody has an agenda. Even fans. Especially fans.

There's a breed of fan out there with baggage. Maybe they resent WB rebooting Superman and getting rid of all things Donner. Maybe they're still in love with Nolan's Batman and can't tolerate anything else. Maybe they're so torqued off at DC Comics for their editorial decisions that it bleeds into everything else.

But whatever the case, they simply cannot get with the DCEU. Or they won't. And even I still have a few things I'm concerned about relating to Superman.

At the end of the day though, the public's opinion is what matters. So far, the DCEU has far outgrossed the MCU at this equivalent point in Marvel's movie output. It's not even competitive. WB has accomplished more per capita than has Marvel. At least so far.

Many online personalities are softening their position on BVS. Suicide Squad has great buzz around it so far.

The tide is turning.

The detractors keep on saying Snyder has no plan, and there's no arc for the characters. Um...I strongly disagree. When Justice League comes out and has Batman reverting to his pre BvS self, that will be the proof. But then the haters will say "oh...that's just WB correcting their mistakes." You can't win with these people.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 16 Jul  2016, 04:43The detractors keep on saying Snyder has no plan, and there's no arc for the characters. Um...I strongly disagree. When Justice League comes out and has Batman reverting to his pre BvS self, that will be the proof. But then the haters will say "oh...that's just WB correcting their mistakes." You can't win with these people.
Arcs sometimes aren't apparent until late in the game. Writers often assume the audience will understand their game plan. They're rarely proven right. On the macroscopic level anyway.

I'm as guilty of that as anybody. It took until the early start of Smallville's tenth season to understand where the character had been and how much he truly had grown. But when I started analyzing the show, I realized it's an absurdly well-written character piece that does Superman proud more often than not. But it took a long time to get there.

But microscopically, I beg to differ with the DCEU detractors. Batman had a very clear and precise arc in BVS. He started the movie with a set of beliefs. By the end of the movie, circumstances had forced him to adopt a different set of beliefs. By any definition, that's an arc.