Favourite scenes in Batman v Superman

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 10 May 2016, 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 29 Jun  2016, 01:15
The victims were scared of their own rescuer and the cops were scared crapless to even go upstairs.
For me, the B89 introduction of Batman remains number one. It's flat out iconic. But BvS's Batman introduction is a very close second. The people he rescues would rather imprison themselves behind bars than be free in the same building as 'him'. Top stuff.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 29 Jun  2016, 02:53
For me, the B89 introduction of Batman remains number one. It's flat out iconic. But BvS's Batman introduction is a very close second. The people he rescues would rather imprison themselves behind bars than be free in the same building as 'him'. Top stuff.

Yeah, I liked that as well.

The people's fear of Batman, is like that of the criminals he opposes, and this works incredibly well for what the idea of Bruce choosing a costume to evoke fear. Not just theatrics to ramp up the feeling of dread, but also the notion that the mere sight of him would cause one to be incredibly frightened, and unstable. That's something I felt was the case in Batman 1989, and again in BvS.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Yeah. The only other similar example would perhaps be Batman's silhouette after rescuing the kids in BR, or Batman making the neon gang scatter in BF.

Good point. Completely forgot about those.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Guys, it's time to have this debate.

Both Burton and Snyder bring an amazing level of creative juice to visuals. But who holds the crown now? I'm actually thinking these days Snyder has the crown. What he presented in Batman v Superman was nothing short of spectacular. I just had to watch the opening Wayne murder scene to sit up and take notice.

What do others think?

I liked Batman's in BvS introduction because it was unique and unlike what we've seen before. One of the reasons why Batman's introduction in BB felt so flat to me was because as soon as we see him up close and personal he borrows the same "I'm Batman!" line from B89. Not to mention that Bale grabbed Falcone by the collar in a similar manner Keaton did to the mugger on the rooftop. It felt so "been there, done that", and I was unimpressed. Give me something new!

In BvS, we got something new alright. We see how Batman commands a frightening presence among everybody. Even the hostages didn't want to come out of the cage; in fact, the cop with the shotgun freaked out upon seeing him, and he and Batman are supposed to be on the same side! And the way Batman escapes looked so inhuman, a true creature of the night.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  3 Jul  2016, 12:43

Both Burton and Snyder bring an amazing level of creative juice to visuals. But who holds the crown now? I'm actually thinking these days Snyder has the crown. What he presented in Batman v Superman was nothing short of spectacular. I just had to watch the opening Wayne murder scene to sit up and take notice.

What do others think?

Well, let me put it this way. If there was a director who continued staging these kind of characters in a "realistic" looking world with modern day skyscapers, I'm glad it's Snyder.

Now if you could combine Snyder's visuals together with Burton and Furst's Art Deco, or even the Gotham TV show aesthetic...bloody hell, that would be awesome.  :o
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Yep. And moments before we're told via Alfred that there was a problem with the graphite, and Bruce should avoid landing on his head. And then in the next scene, Batman headbuts Falcone. Hmmmmmmm.

As for visuals, they're both good, but I do think Snyder has upped the standard. I just watched the Knightmare scene again recently, and even that has its fair share of eye candy. Love the shot of Batman looking though the binoculars.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  3 Jul  2016, 12:43Guys, it's time to have this debate.

What do others think?
It's tempting to say Snyder because of how much he nailed to perfection. But he crafted a sequel to MOS that co-featured Batman in it. When you start counting toes, you realize Batman doesn't show up all that often in the movie. He basically has three scenes: the kidnapping bit in the beginning, the Batmobile chase where he tries stealing the Kryptonite and then the showdown with Superman. Bruce has a fair amount of screen time and that stuff is awesome too but, again, ultimately his story is not only subservient to Superman's, it's wholly dependent upon Superman. Whereas Superman's story isn't directly related to Batman. A good bit of Clark's story is about Batman but not really AGAINST Batman.

Meanwhile Burton told two stories all about Batman where he twisted, turned, disassembled and reassembled the character, gave the Batman mythos an entirely new world of aesthetic possiblities and, I would argue, created the "modern" superhero franchise.

In brief, Burton had a much bigger mountain to climb.

What I wouldn't give for Snyder to direct a solo Batfleck movie... but that doesn't seem likely. And until or unless that happens, a comparison between the two seems a bit unfair since Snyder didn't have to do anywhere near as much heavy lifting with Batman as Burton did. I mean, for pure visceral grit, visual flair and grab-you-by-the-nards emotion, I can't imagine Snyder's Wayne murder sequence ever being topped in my lifetime. But Burton had the tougher gig in my opinion.

So here we are.

Think not just about the Batman scenes, but the overall package Snyder presents. There's also some lovely Superman imagery. I'll have to screen cap the film when the home release comes out.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  3 Jul  2016, 12:43

What do others think?

To paraphrase a remark by Bob Kane, Burton had to establish a workable cinematic language equivalent to the literary forms comic creators had employed for decades. In doing so, he laid the groundwork for all of his successors. Schumacher, Nolan and Snyder all put their own spin on the iconography, but each of them built upon the foundations laid out by Burton in 1989. And Burton did it on a much tighter budget, with less time and fewer resources at his disposal. Burton was the first visualist to successfully translate the 'serious' Batman into live action. Everyone else since has followed his lead.

Not to overstate things, but in purely visual terms I don't think anyone has had a bigger impact on Batman's live action success than Tim Burton.