Favourite scenes in Batman v Superman

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 10 May 2016, 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic
I posted the following back in the BvS Spoiler Thread, but I believe it's more appropriate to dedicate an entire thread about our favourite scenes in the movie.

I'll start with my own list:

• The opening montage where Bruce witnesses his parents getting murdered and falling into the cave was a great new interpretation to his backstory - and the most comic accurate to date. Bruce getting lifted up back on the ground by the bats in the end is inspiring stuff I reckon - I don't care if anybody else finds it "cheesy".
  • Bruce witnessing the Battle of Metropolis and feeling angry and powerless over the situation. The part where he saves the girl and learns her mother was killed in the building is tragic.
  • The montage of Superman rescuing people around the world while media personalities debate his presence. My only complaint is I wish we saw more of these scenes.
  • The Batmobile chase was great. I pity anyone who complains about this scene because "it relies too much on CGI".
  • The Martha Kent rescue scene. Need I say more? People might complain Batman said it so soon after his battle with Superman, but him telling Martha "I'm a friend of your son" is a great way to soothe her nerves and outline the realization for once and for all Supes is not the enemy.
  • Despite everything that Lex did to him, Superman saves him by laying the first punch on Doomsday. If that doesn't scream Superman to you, then nothing will.
  • Superman's sacrifice to stop Doomsday was a great ending, the best I've seen in a comic book movie for a while. Saying to Lois "This is my world. You are my world" before defiantly flying into Doomsday with the Kryptonite spear and stops him once and for all. I have my gripes with him in this movie, but the ending works for me, and it was the best way to get the Justice League to form and carry on his legacy.

A special mention should go to Bruce's nightmare. Not the post-apocalyptic one, but the one where he enters the family tomb, sees blood pouring out of his mother's coffin, and sees a giant bat pop out of it and sucks him inside.

What are everybody else's favourite scenes in the movie?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I still think the best scene is Batman fighting in the warehouse. By far, the best Batman fight scene on film. Nothing even comes close to it.

As maligned as the scene is, I enjoyed the entire sequence of Batman saving Martha Wayne

1.   The batwing sequence of Alfred dropping him a floor below the thugs
2.   The stalking manner in which Batman takes down the thugs Arkham style
3.   The exchange between batman and Martha "I'm a friend of your son... I kind of figured that. Must be the cape"
4.   Lex: "break the news about Martha" Batman "I'd prefer to do the breaking in person"

That whole thing gave me goosebumps in the theatre. You could argue that moment of Batman and Superman agreeing to help each other on the big screen had been built up for 70 years and 2 hours of run time and at least for me it didn't disappoint

As I said, the whole movie is great to me.

But I really enjoyed the segment of film from Alfred visiting Bruce at his lakeside house, giving him the invitation to Luthor's party, Bruce driving the black Aston Martin and having his subsequent verbal encounters with Clark. I thought it was good fun, especially planting the device on Lex's computer servers, and Clark hearing Alfred in Bruce's earpiece. It all came off like an old school BTAS/JL type scenario.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 13 May  2016, 14:24
As maligned as the scene is, I enjoyed the entire sequence of Batman saving Martha Wayne

Why was it maligned? Because Batman kills? As if that's never happened before in the franchise.

I may be a Burton Batman fan, but damn, that fight scene was the best Batman action sequence to date.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

What made that fight scene so good (beyond its sheer epicness) was the fact that you could see exactly what was going on. Christopher Nolan's frantic unfocused flash fighting looked ok I guess but being able to see Lex's thugs taken apart one by one was much more satisfying. It was like "Hell yes, mess with him again motherf***er. Just THINK about standing in the way of him rescuing his new BFF's momma. Actually, don't, since your ribs are stuck through your lungs and your legs are pointed the wrong direction. Wow, it's a little hot in there, maybe you should run. Oh wait, you can't."

I promise I'm only that sadistic with bad guys...

1.   The batwing sequence of Alfred dropping him a floor below the thugs
2.   The stalking manner in which Batman takes down the thugs Arkham style
3.   The exchange between batman and Martha "I'm a friend of your son... I kind of figured that. Must be the cape"
4.   Lex: "break the news about Martha" Batman "I'd prefer to do the breaking in person"

That whole thing gave me goosebumps in the theatre. You could argue that moment of Batman and Superman agreeing to help each other on the big screen had been built up for 70 years and 2 hours of run time and at least for me it didn't disappoint

This.

The fight itself in the rain between Batman and Superman delivered for me.

I don't want to bring in Civil War, but hey, I will. In that airport fight scene (which while good, is overhyped to the max IMO), I don't really feel that the heroes are giving it their all. You can feel they are holding back.

Not so in BvS. Batman is going in for the kill. Completely merciless. And Superman fights back where he can, to the point he's charging with a clenched fist and letting out a primal scream. The drama of Batman firing that second kryptonite grenade worked for me. It summed it all up. Batman has to have all his tricks working and executed perfectly, or he dies.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 15 May  2016, 03:03
The fight itself in the rain between Batman and Superman delivered for me.

I don't want to bring in Civil War, but hey, I will. In that airport fight scene (which while good, is overhyped to the max IMO), I don't really feel that the heroes are giving it their all. You can feel they are holding back.

Not so in BvS. Batman is going in for the kill. Completely merciless. And Superman fights back where he can, to the point he's charging with a clenched fist and letting out a primal scream. The drama of Batman firing that second kryptonite grenade worked for me. It summed it all up. Batman has to have all his tricks working and executed perfectly, or he dies.

I think a fairer comparison from Civil War would be Cap/Winter Solder vs Iron Man and Batman and Superman's battle.

Both are violent and intense to watch. A little bit ironic that motherhood was what knocked senses into Batman and made him realise he was accomplishing what Lex manipulated him into doing. Whereas **SPOILERS FOR CIVIL WAR BELOW**

Zemo showed footage of Bucky murdering Tony's parents in the hopes that it would turn Tony against Bucky and Steve. And it worked, as Tony didn't care if Bucky was programmed to kill. All he saw was the man who "killed my mum".

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 13 May  2016, 14:41

Why was it maligned? Because Batman kills? As if that's never happened before in the franchise.

I may be a Burton Batman fan, but damn, that fight scene was the best Batman action sequence to date.

I think people found it too cheezy that the name Martha made Batman completely pull a 180 from trying to kill superman to becoming his ally.