The Halloween Franchise

Started by thecolorsblend, Thu, 17 Jan 2019, 03:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 13 Jan 2024, 02:42 #120 Last Edit: Sat, 27 Jan 2024, 03:38 by The Joker Reason: Adding videos

-----

-----

-----

-----

-----

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 13 Jan  2024, 02:42
I think this script needed a revision or two. Something to give greater narrative focus to John. I might even suggest eliminating Brackett.

Then again, the entire thing is kind of DOA if Josh Hartnett wasn't willing to come back. Thing is, everyone assumes that he would've said no. But he got his start in horror films just like JLC did. Certainly, he seemed open to doing more horror films later in the 2000's. So, at the very least, I don't see the harm in asking.

I assume that Retribution would've come out circa 2004 or 2005. Hartnett was busy at the time. But not as busy as it looks. I think he could've worked it into his schedule. If he'd been open to it, the production probably would've worked around his availability.

Yeah, it pretty much would've been all-or-nothing with Retribution and Hartnett's participation/availability. As his star power, I guess, was at it's apex or still very high, around the time period of 2004-2005. Which would have provided something of a draw since Jamie Lee was, at that point, parted from the franchise.

After watching the Michael Myers vs. Pinhead video, I'm still somewhat surprised that one didn't get fast tracked by Moustapha Akkad following "Freddy vs. Jason" opening weekend numbers. Sure, Moustapha Akkad was absolutely against the idea, but that would have been a easy bet for profit. I can only assume Akkad thought any crossover would 'cheapen' the Halloween franchise, which is understandable. However, Michael Myers vs. Pinhead would've followed Resurrection, so it's not like we're talking about a cash-in crossover being the follow up to something that had artistic integrity here.

I can only guess that Moustapha Akkad was aware that the Halloween franchise sorely needed something of a palate cleanser following Resurrection. Which came to fruition in 2007 with Rob Zombie's reboot, just two years following Mr. Akkad, his daughter, and many others, being heinously murdered in 2005. Damn shame.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Sun, 28 Jan 2024, 02:09 #123 Last Edit: Mon, 29 Jan 2024, 02:41 by The Joker Reason: Adding content

----

Quote from: The Joker on Sat,  3 Feb  2024, 03:20
The YouTuber mentions the number of Halloween scripts that introduce the idea of a copycat Myers. And like him, I'm starting to think that something along the lines of Halloween Ends/Corey Cunningham was probably inevitable.

Ages ago in some documentary or another, Adam Hann-Byrd, who played Charlie in Halloween H20, mentioned that his character was originally intended to be a copycat Myers but then the plan changed at some point. And I guess I naively thought that he was just joking around. But nope, apparently that truly was the original idea. It got changed somewhere along the way. I'm guessing that once JLC decided to return to the franchise, someone in the production (wisely) rewrote the entire story so that Laurie's confrontation with Michael became the spine of the story. A copycat Myers could only detract from Laurie's character arc in H20. So, that part makes sense.

Still, the copycat thing was always coming. And I'll be the one who says that Corey is probably done about as well as that concept can be done. Whether anyone loves Corey or not, I think he's the best possible representation of a copycat killer. So, I suppose the good news is that the idea won't be revisited any time soon.

Which, once again, raises the question of what possible direction the franchise can go from here on in.

Sun, 11 Feb 2024, 01:30 #126 Last Edit: Sun, 11 Feb 2024, 01:35 by The Joker

Pretty much a concept of what a H3 would have looked like had the franchise stuck with Michael Myers rather than divert. Going strictly off the poster, it looks like the artist is going for a 'more supernatural powerful zombie' version of Michael that we would eventually later see done with Jason Voorhees in the "Friday the 13th" franchise over at Paramount.

-----

I actually like this approach a lot. Sure, it's pretty much another requel, but I think this gets a lot more right, than wrong in how it doesn't necessarily rely too much on nostalgia, and can freshen up the franchise without having to resort to another reboot. Personally, I would revise the script a bit to where the whole drifter stuff is cut out. Rather, I would have Michael just show up on Halloween night. No explanation. Keep that a absolute mystery. Additionally, this sort of approach could open up the possibility with having this particular timeline be set as period pieces in the 1980s/1990s. Set in different sleepy towns where the Shape might just show up on Halloween night...

Jimmy offers his thoughts about the prospects of a Halloween 04 requel. Apparently, people are talking about that as something more than a hypothetical. Dannielle Harris, Dwight Little, Scout Taylor-Compton (for some reason) (no idea why) and also Halloween fans.

I'm obviously open to that. I've never liked the Michael/Laurie sibling angle that's baked into the cake there. But Danielle Harris coming back for a REAL sequel to Halloween 04 solves a lot for me.

I'm still not sold on the idea of a TV show tho. Just doesn't add up for me.

But it should probably go without saying that a Halloween 04 requel would do well to avoid the Cult of Thorn stuff.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 15 Feb  2024, 02:14Jimmy offers his thoughts about the prospects of a Halloween 04 requel. Apparently, people are talking about that as something more than a hypothetical. Dannielle Harris, Dwight Little, Scout Taylor-Compton (for some reason) (no idea why) and also Halloween fans.

As much as I wouldn't mind seeing a "H4 Part 2", I still have a difficult time with how something like that would play with a wide audience, and not just Halloweenies. I mean, we're talking about a sequel to a particular installment of the Halloween franchise, that's only 4 years shy of being 40 years ago. If there's a will, there's a way I guess (although if the tv series goes the anthology route, I can easily see a continuation of H4 being a really good episode or 2-part episode season finale or something like that), but they will have to be pretty cleaver about it regardless.

With Scout Taylor-Compton, I think Scout and Danielle have a podcast together (I think both attended the Halloween Ends premiere, and apparently Jamie Lee was rude to Danielle. Or was just tart and indelicate with her. Something like that), so it might just be wanting to capitalize on putting Scout in the H4 timeline, as Danielle was brought into the Rob Zombie timeline. Again, most people aren't going to care one way or the other, but I can see the hardcore fans being alright with the idea at least.

QuoteBut it should probably go without saying that a Halloween 04 requel would do well to avoid the Cult of Thorn stuff.

Oh, for sure.

Posting this since I thought it was a cool image.