Green Lantern (2011)

Started by Edd Grayson, Sun, 23 Jun 2013, 23:36

Previous topic - Next topic
Such a wasted opprtunity. I'm a big fan of the character but this was mediocre at best. The animated series that premiered after the film was far more mature and well written and that says a lot. The only good parts about the film in my eyes were the Oa scenes and Mark Strong as Sinestro.

I didn't think this was a complete abomination that every body made it out to be...but it's still not that good. There were some design choices that were ugly; I thought the 3D design for the Guardians were hideous and the look for the planet Oa looked dull too.

But the biggest flaw with Green Lantern is that there were too many scenes that went nowhere. Was it really necessary to show Hal Jordan's family if they were only going to appear in one scene? What happened to Amanda Waller after Green Lantern rescued her? If Sinestro is supposed to be Green Lantern's arch nemesis at some point in the future, well then it's not believe because he come across as a bit too innocent and even a concerned albeit somewhat cynical ally, without a hint of corruption. It felt like the filmmakers realized this mistake along the way and that's why the ending feels so tacked on; Sinestro putting on that yellow ring for no good reason.

I'll admit there were some things that I did like in the movie, mostly the ideas for the special effects. I know some people will disagree with me, but I think Ryan Reynolds made the film watchable than it probably ought to be. But still I would never see it again.

Now with WB/DC planning on a Justice League movie, it looks like they'll have to reboot it. Too bad they didn't think things out too much the first time around because Green Lantern wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 24 Jun  2013, 09:50
I didn't think this was a complete abomination that every body made it out to be...but it's still not that good. There were some design choices that were ugly; I thought the 3D design for the Guardians were hideous and the look for the planet Oa looked dull too.

But the biggest flaw with Green Lantern is that there were too many scenes that went nowhere. Was it really necessary to show Hal Jordan's family if they were only going to appear in one scene? What happened to Amanda Waller after Green Lantern rescued her? If Sinestro is supposed to be Green Lantern's arch nemesis at some point in the future, well then it's not believe because he come across as a bit too innocent and even a concerned albeit somewhat cynical ally, without a hint of corruption. It felt like the filmmakers realized this mistake along the way and that's why the ending feels so tacked on; Sinestro putting on that yellow ring for no good reason.

I'll admit there were some things that I did like in the movie, mostly the ideas for the special effects. I know some people will disagree with me, but I think Ryan Reynolds made the film watchable than it probably ought to be. But still I would never see it again.

Now with WB/DC planning on a Justice League movie, it looks like they'll have to reboot it. Too bad they didn't think things out too much the first time around because Green Lantern wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place.

I'm a huge fan of the comics mainly because of the ring and art; the possibilities with that ring and character are endless. He can go anywhere in the Galaxy. Like you said I think there were too many underdeveloped plot points; Hal Jordan is somewhat of a tortured character; he was super close to his father and watched him die as a child and thus continues to be reckless despite wanting nothing else but to fly. The ring fills the void he's been missing. But the whole Martin Jordan character is barely touched in the film. Jordan clearly acts reckless and fearless the way his character should but you wouldn't know why without reading the comics and comic movies can't assume audiences have read the comics. Another underdeveloped character is Hector Hammond whom Hal knew since childhood and was present when his father died along with carol. The movie implies that Carol and Hal had a past but doesn't exactly develop it and the fact that Carol also saw Hal watch his father die is another important plot point the movie leaves out.

Sinestro was handled fine though; yes he becomes an arch nemesis of the green lantern but not right away; he becomes Hal's mentor at the start which is what makes his defecting so difficult; the hardest back stabs are the ones which came from the greatest allies. The credits easter egg was another underdeveloped point; the movie talks about fear but never makes mention of the significance of the colour yellow. Anyone who never read the comics would have no clue what that scene meant. And it's also too early for that scene, first Sinestro shows signs of going rogue and villainy as a green lantern before going yellow.

QuoteAnother underdeveloped character is Hector Hammond whom Hal knew since childhood and was present when his father died along with carol. The movie implies that Carol and Hal had a past but doesn't exactly develop it and the fact that Carol also saw Hal watch his father die is another important plot point the movie leaves out.
This was the element that disappointed me the most too.  I felt that the implied backstory and current relationship between Hal, Hector and Carol was way too rushed.  Hector struck me as a potentially interesting character particularly the bitterness he seemed to harbour towards Hal, which was part and parcel to his attraction to Carol, but Hector ended up being a mere stooge of the film's Big Bad alien threat and was hastily killed off in a rather flippant manner.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 25 Jun  2013, 08:49
QuoteAnother underdeveloped character is Hector Hammond whom Hal knew since childhood and was present when his father died along with carol. The movie implies that Carol and Hal had a past but doesn't exactly develop it and the fact that Carol also saw Hal watch his father die is another important plot point the movie leaves out.
This was the element that disappointed me the most too.  I felt that the implied backstory and current relationship between Hal, Hector and Carol was way too rushed.  Hector struck me as a potentially interesting character particularly the bitterness he seemed to harbour towards Hal, which was part and parcel to his attraction to Carol, but Hector ended up being a mere stooge of the film's Big Bad alien threat and was hastily killed off in a rather flippant manner.
There is that, and there's also Hector Hammond's resentment towards his father. I felt that was underdeveloped too.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Green Lantern was a film that came and went. Nothing particularly memorable, and not the right way to launch a film franchise. I can't muster any excitement or enthusiasm for it.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 25 Jun  2013, 10:22
Green Lantern was a film that came and went. Nothing particularly memorable, and not the right way to launch a film franchise. I can't muster any excitement or enthusiasm for it.
Much like Jonah Hex.  I wonder what it will take for somebody to make a half-decent film out of a DC property that isn't Batman or Superman.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Too bad they didn't think things out too much the first time around because Green Lantern wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place.

Exactly, this was supposed to be DC's Iron Man: Take a lesser-known character, sprinkle the film with DC Universe cameos/easter eggs and lay the groundwork for something bigger. Unfortunately, they dropped the ball script-wise.

As an aside, I really think they should've used Sinestro as the villain. He's GL's Luthor/Joker and if you're launching a new film franchise he's the strongest choice for a villain.

Ok, I have watched it again, and it's not a bad movie I guess if your expectations are not that high. But for Green Lantern I expect better.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Sat, 29 Jun  2013, 04:48
Too bad they didn't think things out too much the first time around because Green Lantern wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place.

Exactly, this was supposed to be DC's Iron Man: Take a lesser-known character, sprinkle the film with DC Universe cameos/easter eggs and lay the groundwork for something bigger. Unfortunately, they dropped the ball script-wise.

As an aside, I really think they should've used Sinestro as the villain. He's GL's Luthor/Joker and if you're launching a new film franchise he's the strongest choice for a villain.

I disagree. Luthor and the Joker basically start out evil. Sinestro has in important arc; he starts out mentoring the man chosen to succeed his own mentor, then starts to defect before going rogue. You can't have Sinestro as a villain in an origin story. The new fad for comic films seems to be including a lesser villain in the first film before bringing in the arch enemy in a sequel. Though Hector Hammond also has an important storyline I wish they saved for the sequel.