Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Started by phantom stranger, Mon, 5 Jul 2010, 05:07

Previous topic - Next topic
This show really went downhill in its later seasons but the pilot movie and a few of the first season episodes were quite good.

In fact, I was just thinking the other day about how the pilot movie was everything a Superman relaunch should be:

-- Clark tries to learn his way around Metropolis without anyone figuring out his secret. Little to no time spent in Smallville since the Reeve movies already covered that territory. 

-- Lex Luthor, the evil (yet charming) CEO is introduced

-- Great chemistry between Lois & Clark

-- The investigative reporters actually do some...investigating and reporting.

-- Superman rescues Lois from an experimental shuttle. He then helps it land in a baseball field...oh wait--wrong Superman. But the shuttle part did happen.

Mon, 5 Jul 2010, 06:15 #1 Last Edit: Mon, 5 Jul 2010, 06:23 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: phantom stranger on Mon,  5 Jul  2010, 05:07
-- Superman rescues Lois from an experimental shuttle. He then helps it land in a baseball field...oh wait--wrong Superman. But the shuttle part did happen.
I hated that scene. It just makes Superman look like a loser. He rips off the wings and they obviously plummet down and smash up God knows what. He then leaves the fuselage on the field, and flies off leaving it there. Not to mention rolling the Daily Planet globe onto that car later on in the film. Geez.

I liked the series back in the day...

...I was young, it was new and filled my need for a Superman fix.

Later seasons did go down hill...especially the whole wedding stuff.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  5 Jul  2010, 06:15

Not to mention rolling the Daily Planet globe onto that car later on in the film. Geez.

He used his x-ray vision to look inside the car. Once he saw the driver had car insurance, he proceeded to drop the globe on it.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Mon,  5 Jul  2010, 17:28
He used his x-ray vision to look inside the car. Once he saw the driver had car insurance, he proceeded to drop the globe on it.

Maybe Superman was being the typical finger-wagging boy-scout and the reason he allowed the globe to drop on the car was because the driver didn't have car insurance.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I wonder if Batman (in TDK) knew if cars had insurance before he blew them up?

QuoteI wonder if Batman (in TDK) knew if cars had insurance before he blew them up?

Or that there were unsupervised children sitting in them?

Speaking of cars, does anyone else remember the season 3 episode of Lois & Clark where the Burton Batmobile makes an appearance?

What's Commander Riker doing with the Batmobile?  ???
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

If you ask me, L&C takes way too much crap. The basic conceit that you have to make is that it's played as a romantic comedy peppered with some action; that approach either works for you or it doesn't. If it doesn't, there's always that Singerman sequel.

Oh wait.

But anyway. L&C. Very good writing, actually. Very underrated. The characters were consistently written across the seasons for the most part. Lois was written as an intuitive, go-from-the-get investigative reporter while Clark tended to be more black & white, more rational in his thinking. It made sense for Perry to team people like them up. You've got Lois' experience and Clark's energy, Lois' emotions and Clark's objectivity, etc. I've seen a lot of less convincing reasons to pair them together (professionally speaking).

Lex actually felt like someone Lois could fall for. I dug that. Whatever she might've said to the contrary, Lois wanted to be loved and she felt like she got that from Lex.

As for Lex, he was written as kind of a hedonist. Not in the 70's rock star way but more in that his personal desires outweighed everything else, even somoene else's life. Supervillains are always written as cherishing their battles with the hero. It's a cliche at this point. But with this version of Lex, it actually holds water. If he had a chance to pull the trigger, he would and he'd enjoy it... but he would also genuinely miss his duels with Superman.

Overall, I enjoy the show. It got way melodramatic in the third season but the lead characters had believable, coherent and logical motivations. It's a crying shame that the show never got a proper finale.