Total Recall (1990)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 2 Dec 2020, 18:56

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu,  3 Dec  2020, 15:55
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  3 Dec  2020, 02:35The Terminator (1984)
Commando (1985)
Predator (1987)
The Running Man (1987)
Total Recall (1990)
Kindergarten Cop (1990)
T2: Judgement Day (1991)
True Lies (1994)
Eraser (1996)
Jingle All The Way (1996)

Great list. I'd also add Conan the Barbarian (1982), Red Heat (1988) and Twins (1988).
I'm now willing to add Last Action Hero (1993) to the list. I rewatched it yesterday after some time and found it underrated. This was his first movie after T2, so he's absolutely in his prime as a star. It doesn't take itself seriously, has a pretty fun, creative concept and a degree of heart. Not just with Danny reminding Jack of his own son, but the way Jack is presented with the possibility he is a fictional character with a made up life. Quotes such as "the world is what you make of it, Danny" and " You believed in me in the movies. Why not now?" particularly stuck with me.

I appreciate how the movie is a commentary on the power of cinema itself. It's an escape, especially for young men, where our worries can be left behind. A world where our heroes always save the day, knowing full well that these feats are impossible or uncommon in the daily grind of reality. When Jack exits the big screen, there is a clear distinction between the two worlds : he is restricted by regular physics and damage.

I think Last Action Hero made me appreciate testosterone king Arnold of the 80s and 90s all the more, especially in comparison to modern day hijacking of cinema's magic with real world issues creeping in. The low bar of our heroes remaining alive by the end of the film can also no longer be met. Is this my favorite from Arnold? No. But I don't think it deserves the hate it receives. It's a victim of it's time and from what I gathered wasn't marketed accurately.

Worth another look if the viewer has an open mind.