Justice League Part 1 starts filming in less than two months

Started by Grissom, Mon, 22 Feb 2016, 17:50

Previous topic - Next topic
Liked both trailers. It does feel like the DC universe is well underway now. Lots to discuss and I'm not sure where to start.

Dug the trailer. I've seen some news outlets embracing the footage for its lighter tone. I got to say I'm surprised, I thought they'd call it a Marvel ripoff. I think Henry Cavill will benefit from the change of tone. If you've seen him interviews, he's quite an amusing fella, albeit smug.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It makes sense for Bruce to be this way. We're seeing this businessman who has to make deals. That means convincing people with charm and a solid argument. I am sure the film will have its moments of darkness, and the visuals still look solid.

People have said the Justice League of America movie has been altered on some level because of the criticisms about BVS. The jokes and lightness of the trailer tend to reinforce that.

There's a bit of that, I agree, but still maintain this was more or less the same end point.

What did you think of the preview?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 24 Jul  2016, 05:47There's a bit of that, I agree, but still maintain this was more or less the same end point.

I enjoyed it but I'm not so vain as to think it'll change the haters' minds. "WB bad, Marvel good". That's about the level of sophistication they deal in and it's kind of hopeless to think they'll come around.

What I want is more Batfleck. Suicide Squad will give a tiny bit but obviously there will be a ton in Justice League. Fine by me.

The only real reservation I have is somebody playing the "Aquaman talks to fish" card. I mean, guys, that wasn't clever anymore 20 years ago. "Durrrrr, look how sophisticated I am, I make fun of Aquaman because I'm so clever!" That may not be the message they wanted to send. But it is the message they're sending. And it's retarded!

How'd you like it, cuz?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 24 Jul  2016, 06:52
I enjoyed it but I'm not so vain as to think it'll change the haters' minds. "WB bad, Marvel good". That's about the level of sophistication they deal in and it's kind of hopeless to think they'll come around.

I wouldn't be surprised if some will cry out "Oh look, they're copying Marvel's comedy"...even though that's what others were asking for. As much as I don't care for siding movie studios over the other, I feel the DCEU is in a no-win situation here. If they make a team-up movie, good or bad, they'll be accused of copying Marvel. If they make a dark, serious movie, they'll face backlash over it by people who otherwise never had a problem with the dark tone in the Christopher Nolan ones.

What I want is more Batfleck. Suicide Squad will give a tiny bit but obviously there will be a ton in Justice League. Fine by me.

My only one complaint from the new footage is Batfleck looks much slender here than he was in BvS and SS. I understand that it's hard for him to maintain that bulky shape at his age, but it made him an imposing figure. I guess you can rationalise that building his body into such a big stature was indicative to his messed up state of mind in the events leading to and during BvS.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Solid trailer, though I'm beginning to get a bit more concerned about the amount of comedy DC/WB wants to incorporate now in light of the reaction to BvS. From a business standpoint, I get it. You go with what works. Marvel's formula clearly appears to be what is deemed less controversial and more acceptable by crying plebians "Waah Batman kills! OMG! I think I'ma gunna faint!" But from a artistic standpoint, I really would have preferred for DC/WB films to remain steadfast in their tone, or at the very least, not degrade it to the point where we're wondering who's going to get the better one liner. I like the different flavors. Variety is good! ect

Maybe much of the comedic aspects were purposely highlighted in the trailer to dispel all the crying, and the film itself will be, atleast in tone, more akin to MOS/BvS? I'd like to think that, but yeah .. not getting my idealistic hopes up on that one.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 24 Jul  2016, 08:45
Solid trailer, though I'm beginning to get a bit more concerned about the amount of comedy DC/WB wants to incorporate now in light of the reaction to BvS. From a business standpoint, I get it. You go with what works. Marvel's formula clearly appears to be what is deemed less controversial and more acceptable by crying plebians "Waah Batman kills! OMG! I think I'ma gunna faint!"

As I said in the WW thread, you wait till people make a big deal over Diana Prince killing people (from what I can tell in that trailer), like they did to Superman and Batman. Seriously, it's not only annoying that people won't apply the same complaints when previous versions of Superman and Batman killed, I'm beginning to wonder why are the Avengers allowed to kill without scrutiny.

The fuss over Batfleck's body count was pathetic. The only WB screen version who hasn't killed was George Clooney, people. Get a grip.  ::)

Sun, 24 Jul 2016, 11:33 #59 Last Edit: Sun, 24 Jul 2016, 12:25 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 24 Jul  2016, 05:47There's a bit of that, I agree, but still maintain this was more or less the same end point.

The only real reservation I have is somebody playing the "Aquaman talks to fish" card. I mean, guys, that wasn't clever anymore 20 years ago. "Durrrrr, look how sophisticated I am, I make fun of Aquaman because I'm so clever!" That may not be the message they wanted to send. But it is the message they're sending. And it's retarded!

How'd you like it, cuz?
I liked it, and more so on the second watch through. I dig Affleck's Bruce too, so getting more of him, and in spades, is excellent. As for the "I hear you talk to fish" line at the end, Aquaman isn't being singled out.

Affleckman is an equal opportunity mocker. Every single time he meets a Justice League member it's a little rocky. Superman? We know the deal here. They clashed and Bruce nearly had him killed. Wonder Woman? Bruce ambushes her at a party, says he won't fall for her good looks, and effectively says he won't let her get away with anything. Flash? Bruce breaks into his lab, sits in the dark and initially gets criticism for doing so.

So Bruce clashing with Aquaman works for me. He doesn't take a backward step to anyone, even a gigantic God of the ocean who pinned him against a wall within seconds. I'm now eager to see how he initially deals with Cyborg.