Ghostbusters trailer *Brand New* (2016)

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Mar 2016, 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Wed, 20 Jul 2016, 18:07 #250 Last Edit: Wed, 20 Jul 2016, 20:17 by JokerMeThis
I can't find any interest in seeing this movie.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the film, riddler. That reads like a fair and balanced review. I don't think I'd have been able to view it as objectively myself. If this was any other movie, I'd think it wrong to judge the film without actually seeing it. But in this one instance I'm afraid I'm locked in irrational fan boy mode.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Wed, 20 Jul  2016, 17:00Get Amy Poehler and Rashida Jones up in there and you've got me,
You know, this is an interesting point. I'm not a Poehler or Jones devotee but I kind of enjoy some of their work. I'd be rather interested in seeing where they'd take the material. Jones especially since she can do comedy but she can also play straight too. Interesting ideas there...

I am not a fan of the series, okay? Let's just get that out there straight away. But I can't help but feel like this is a missed opportunity. Rebooting the franchise and wiping the slate clean sucks in my opinion. It could have been a passing of the baton movie to the next generation. But here, the cameos by the old cast members are effectively worthless. I think that's a crying shame. The fans could've got on board with the new Girlbusters a lot more if say, Dan Akroyd came back in character and presented his old gear and said 'your turn'. But no. They went down another road, which is disappointing.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 21 Jul  2016, 06:56I am not a fan of the series, okay? Let's just get that out there straight away. But I can't help but feel like this is a missed opportunity. Rebooting the franchise and wiping the slate clean sucks in my opinion. It could have been a passing of the baton movie to the next generation. But here, the cameos by the old cast members are effectively worthless. I think that's a crying shame. The fans could've got on board with the new Girlbusters a lot more if say, Dan Akroyd came back in character and presented his old gear and said 'your turn'. But no. They went down another road, which is disappointing.
Apparently what you're describing was the original plan. But Feige wanted a reboot where he could set all the terms and parameters for the movie rather than having to fit in with what's come before.

I think Ghosterbusters fans would've embraced that. I wouldn't have because I wanted the original cast and crew back for another adventure. This is the same objection I have to the Force Awakens, incidentally. It's why Rogue One looks infinitely more appealing.

But Hollyweird "logic" took over and the rest is box office... well, I can't say "box office history". Maybe "minor box office footnote" will be more accurate.

For better or worse, Blues Brothers 2000 went down the path I mentioned. Jake is confirmed dead, with Elwood finally getting out of prison and forming a new band. The story continues. The movie isn't that good, but I can respect that general concept. Even if it's more or less a remake of the original, and a disappointing one at that.

Dumb and Dumber To went down the Blues Brothers 2000 route too. A sequel to a very old movie resisting to push the reboot button. However, they didn't replace the two leads. A Ghostbusters 3 with the surviving cast members suiting up one last time would've brought down the house. This is the absolute dream scenario in my mind. But yeah, if Girlbusters had to happen, I would've preferred it to be in-continuity with proper cameos.

Thu, 21 Jul 2016, 11:44 #256 Last Edit: Thu, 21 Jul 2016, 21:51 by thecolorsblend
You know, one thing I feel bad about with Girlbusters is some of the cast. I mean, Feige made his own bed and now he can sleep in it for all I care. The prick did it to himself. No sympathy.

But imagine you're any one of those cast members. Your agent calls and says he has an offer for an all-female Ghostbusters reboot/remake/relaunch. Say, you remember laughing at the movie! At least once or twice. Eh, why not?

Paul Feige is the director. The pay is probably fairly meh but it's a relatively big budget and there will be a lot of hype and media exposure. It won't be so huge that you're personally lost in the shuffle, your agent says, but it won't be so small that your movie is lost in the shuffle. Just the right size!

So you do it. Feige... well, he is what he is. And maybe you don't get along so well with the other cast members. But hey! Big opportunity! Lots of exposure!

Then the studio's marketing division starts running with a sort of hostile approach of smearing the opposition. Ah well, some of 'em probably ARE sexists. This will ruffle their egos a little bit. It's good for their circulation. And better for ticket sales!

Then Feige starts personally attacking them as "a**holes". Mmm, that's maybe over the line. But! MEDIA EXPOSURE!

Then you do a personal appearance on a talk show with Hillary Clinton. So much for not politicizing the thing.

Then you do a personal appearance on a talk show with former Ghostbusters stars who were blackballed into attending. That's not very nice!

The toys are going on clearance before the movie has even opened, the tracking for opening weekend sucks, ticket sales on opening weekend are below the tracking, the movie is not winning many admirers among non-political critics, the core fanbase revolted a year ago and nobody told you about it, at best sequel prospects are dicey and you're the face of Hollywood's big failure right now.

All you wanted to do was make a fun movie with a popular director, beef up your resume, pad your wallet a tiny bit and get some experience doing a big effects movie. Instead, you're the star in a toxically-political morass of anger and division, your pay wasn't so good as to justify the blame you're facing, one of your castmates quit Twitter over something or other and the "media exposure" is alternately hostile in your favor or else totally biased about stuff you can't even control.

This is by far the biggest thing you've ever done.

And it wasn't worth it.

I don't know this to be true but I wonder that Melissa McCarthy wishes she'd done Gilmore Girls after all.

You're making me feel bad for them.

Ok I guess I kind of already did but now I really do lol.

But this is what we've been saying, it's not the cast or any of that, it's what the studio and director and stuff have done and the fact that they're trying to "restart" the freaking Ghostbusters. It doesn't NEED restarting. But yah I feel worse and worse for the cast cause they didn't ask for the backlash.

I think people need to let go of the fact that it's not Paul Feige or Sony's fault a Ghostbusters III never happened with the original cast. If you want to blame someone for that, blame the original ghostbusters; Bill Murray never signed on until Harold Ramis died and the rest of the cast never wanted to do it without all four involved. I respect that as do I respect the fact that they decided not to rehash their characters in smaller roles without Ramis.

Having seen the film I think I know why they rebooted it; they went with the traditional plot of nobody believing in paranormal activity and the notion that the Ghostbusters themselves are the cause of all of it. They do twist it a little bit; the mayor in the first two films seemed to believe the Ghostbusters but his office didn't. Here the modern twist is that the FBI is involved and does in fact know that ghosts are real but is attempting to cover it up due to the belief that humanity is not ready for it (basically a government conspiracy). It's implied for this reason that this is not a sequel. Whether you consider this lazy writing or a homage is up to you.

Thing is we didn't NEED a Ghostbusters III period, old cast, new cast, whatever. The original more than stood on its own, for peeps that like the second one like myself it was a nice little supplement but there was no need for more, let alone a remake. We can't be that badly out of ideas.

That said government coverup stuff annoys me (I tried to watch "Man of the Year" with Robin Williams and kept throwing my remote cause it was pissing me off, I still have to remind myself I don't have to hiss every time Jeff Goldblum pops up on the screen anymore) so it's probably a good thing I'm not interested lol.