Zoe Kravitz is Catwoman

Started by johnnygobbs, Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 22:42

Previous topic - Next topic
https://www.cbr.com/the-batman-casts-big-little-lies-star-as-catwoman/

QuoteAccording to Deadline, X-Men: First Class alum Zoe Kravitz will star opposite Robert Pattinson. She also joins Jeffrey Wright, who will appear as Commissioner Gordon, and Jonah Hill, who is circling a villain role.

The Big Little Lies star is no stranger to the genre, having appeared as Angel Salvadore in X-Men: First Class. Her past credits include Mad Max: Fury Road, Divergent, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. She also voiced Catwoman in The LEGO Batman Movie.

Previously, the Catwoman role was filled by Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether and Eartha Kitt on the Batman 1960s series, Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns, Anne Hathaway in The Dark Knight Returns, Halle Berry in Catwoman and Cameron Bicondova on Gotham.

Pattinson was cast as the new Batman in late May, following Ben Affleck's departure from the role. Plot details and casting for the film remain under wraps.

The Batman is directed by Matt Reeves, who will also produce alongside Dylan Clark. Casting is still underway, with the film scheduled to be released on June 25, 2021.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Good casting decision to me.

I have no idea who she is, other than knowing she's the daughter of Lenny Kravitz. Not really feeling it right now and she wouldn't have been my first, second, third or any choice to be honest. But as usual, let's see how the type of costume and characterization they go with.

I'd like something more comic friendly in comparison to TDK Rises. Meaning we get a whip, cowl and the Catwoman moniker. Hathaway was okay, but like Jared Leto in Suicide Squad, she was let down by limited screen time and came off feeling one note. If Robert's Batman is somewhat established it would allow for a more established Bat/Cat dynamic which we haven't seen before. I'm trying to see the upsides here.

My interest in this project has wavered but it's still there. Robert is the main driver behind that, and he is the most important casting decision. I think he has all the necessary ingredients to succeed, and for some reason reminds me of a young Val Kilmer type.

From what I've read, the general idea is to have Robert appear in a trilogy, with solo Catwoman, Nightwing type films padding out his Batman universe in-between. Rob would probably appear in those films too in some capacity, you'd have to imagine. I do hope that happens as I think the franchise needs it. Nobody is going to approach Adam West's appearance ratio, but I'd like someone to break through the barrier of Bale's three films at least.

The next part is conjecture: a new Superman is cast near the end of the Patman trilogy (Cavill is done, folks), and Robert appears alongside him. By that time the Wonder Woman, Aquaman stuff they're doing now would've run its course with actors vacating roles.

There is talk of JJ Abrams wanting to direct a Superman film and do something with the Justice League. I think this is a real possibility given the lack of a Batman in the ongoing DCEU. The new direction has already been chosen and that includes a younger leading man. I don't see them doing anything in the short term with Superman either.

Something to think about.

I'm not too thrilled, so I'm gonna have to wait. So far, I haven't been impressed with any of the casting. I'm still not a huge Pattinson fanboy. I think he's a fine actor, but I still can't picture him as Bruce Wayne. I don't know much about Zoe Kravitz, but I can't picture her as Catwoman just yet.

All of this could change once I see what Matt Reeves is doing, but so far, I'm not that impressed with the three main castings that we've gotten.

So far, Pattinson has been the only good news for me with this film. Nearly everything else... well, it's been something other than good.

Kravitz is something other than good.

As with Pattinson, this will be my first time seeing her in anything. I think Jonah Hill was another rumor, haven't seen him in anything either, so there's not looking to be a lot of familiarity for me in this movie so far. Which come to think of it is sort of par for the course as Batman's been my introduction to most of the actors in the movies (live action or animated) over the years.

Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 15 Oct  2019, 22:05
I'm not too thrilled, so I'm gonna have to wait. So far, I haven't been impressed with any of the casting. I'm still not a huge Pattinson fanboy. I think he's a fine actor, but I still can't picture him as Bruce Wayne. I don't know much about Zoe Kravitz, but I can't picture her as Catwoman just yet.

All of this could change once I see what Matt Reeves is doing, but so far, I'm not that impressed with the three main castings that we've gotten.
Yes, but you weren't on board with JOKER for the longest time either.

It's interesting. With Affleck, for some reason I couldn't picture him as Bruce Wayne. I think it's because I saw him as someone so identifiable as BEN AFFLECK. But now it's so obvious how suited he is, and how he became Bruce in his own right. I had the same reaction with Pattinson very early on before he was even confirmed. But it clicked with me very quickly, and I'm really excited about him having the role. If anyone else got the role my enthusiasm just wouldn't be the same. Youth, good looks and a dose of broody darkness makes him a good fit for the long term. As said, I see some Kilmer in him.

For Catwoman, I have to be honest and say it's a choice that's never going to please me. I was hoping for Vanessa Kirby. But alas, I'm hoping they go for the goggles aesthetic. It hasn't been done before, and I'm not counting TDK Rises.

Hell, how about a purple suit?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 17 Oct  2019, 22:42
Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 15 Oct  2019, 22:05

Yes, but you weren't on board with JOKER for the longest time either.

It's interesting. With Affleck, for some reason I couldn't picture him as Bruce Wayne. I think it's because I saw him as someone so identifiable as BEN AFFLECK. But now it's so obvious how suited he is, and how he became Bruce in his own right. I had the same reaction with Pattinson very early on before he was even confirmed. But it clicked with me very quickly, and I'm really excited about him having the role. If anyone else got the role my enthusiasm just wouldn't be the same. Youth, good looks and a dose of broody darkness makes him a good fit for the long term. As said, I see some Kilmer in him.

For Catwoman, I have to be honest and say it's a choice that's never going to please me. I was hoping for Vanessa Kirby. But alas, I'm hoping they go for the goggles aesthetic. It hasn't been done before, and I'm not counting TDK Rises.

Hell, how about a purple suit?
There are tons of actresses in Hollywood who could play Catwoman. I can not and will not ever believe that Kravitz was the best choice.

I saw this manip of Kravitz. It's exactly what I'd like to see with the cowl.

That manip is superb.  Even if they still have problems with her acting ability, I don't see how the doubters can say that ZoĆ« Kravitz doesn't look the part, especially after that manip.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.